PDA

View Full Version : DVD's will not play!!!!!

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Aug 2006, 15:28
The problem continues:

I can't play DVD on any PC prog - WinMedia - PowerDVD - WinDVD - Nero Showtime :ugh: :ugh:

Some other apps lock me up too! :{ :{ :{ :{

Rick Storm
3rd Aug 2006, 16:24
There could be 101 reasons why your dvd won't play??? I guess from your post your running xp. For starters...What happens when you insert dvd? Is it region one or two? Believe it or not you can change the region in xp, but ONLY FIVE times! It's to do with international copyright (so they say) but I recon it's all to do with marketing $$$$ More info plz.

Rick

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Aug 2006, 16:39
I have two players, 1 ROM 1 RAM both are region free. Ta!

BOAC
3rd Aug 2006, 17:51
And to think I taught Danny to fly - don't take ANY of his advice on computers, in that case, Pop!:) :)

Can you play CDs? What does 'Device Manager' show as properties for your optical drives?

spannersatcx
3rd Aug 2006, 18:30
Is it just one disk or many, are they DVD-R's or bought ones. Do they play in a DVD player and not your pc, if DVD-R's what did you use to write them with, did somebody else write them?

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Aug 2006, 18:44
Oooh! What a lot of questions!.

In order, Rick Storm. No wonder you are confused, if I had taught Danny to fly I would be too. :E So, when I insert the DVD a player is offered as I listed them above. At that point they will not run. Windows Media opens buts hangs - I give up and reset - takes that long! :ugh: Finally my optical drives play all regions as do my DVD players.

BOAC, I can play CD's very happily on both drives and the Device Manager has them loaded and working properly.

Spanners, all DVD's that play on my players are mostly -R but I can play all types and all regions - as I used to do on my PC. DVD-R's I wrote with Lite-On or Samsung LiteScribe Writemaster - one of the latest.

I should add that PowerDVD would hang for as much as 10 mintues. WinDVD would not load at all - and hang. Or the others I mention.

I have cleaned up the pooter and AFAIK it is running well.

Saab Dastard
3rd Aug 2006, 20:26
Have you got an over-zealous Anti-virus package that is trying to scan the contents of your DVDs when you load them?

Exclude your DVD drives from AV on-read scans.

SD

spannersatcx
3rd Aug 2006, 20:43
Have you installed any software recently? I assume that until recently the DVD's were playing OK, maybe something you have installed has caused the software plaayers to get corrupted?

Have you tried an uninstall/re-instal of powerDVD to see if that helps?:confused:

planecrazy.eu
3rd Aug 2006, 21:38
Two things i can think of

- same as above, uninstall and Re-install Power DVD or Win DVD

- My DVD PLayer lets you make 5 reigon changes then sets permenant to the last reigon. Check to see what the drive is locked to. I think this is a Windows Thing and Not a Hard-ware or driver thing. XP Locked my DVD drive to R1. I had to re-install Windows to solve this problem.

Look in the Hardware at the DVD player then at the Reigon TAB. I think no matter what make you have Windows gives 5 trys and 5 trys only. Would love to know a work-round for this, i use some 3rd party software to play R1's if i ever have to.

PPRuNe Pop
4th Aug 2006, 05:23
SD, the anti-virus I have is AVG and I have tried switching that off. Same with ZA.

I have uninstalled, re-installed, got the latest drivers.

Both players are locked to Region 1 - now.

The problem seems to be a video one. Nero plays and burns normally but its own Showtime will not run and hangs just like the rest. Media plays CD's but cannot read a DVD - calls it "unknown DVD" although it accepts it. PowerDVD and WinDVD try to load the disc but then hangs.

About 6/7 weeks ago I put a fresh copy of XP Pro onto a new HDD. Then I added software, a new sound card and a new graphics card. Been trying to solve this problem ever since. I also bought a new DTV prog and that hangs after starting up OK. Uninstalled and reinstalled that many times then gave up!

Not much to add really. :{

g4phil
4th Aug 2006, 05:25
Get a copy of DVD Region + CSS Free:

http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

You might find one using a file sharing website, but you will be responsible for that.

Once you put a DVD into the drive the program starts, decodes the encryption, after that it's up to you what you do with it.

Rick Storm
4th Aug 2006, 15:01
Downloading software is number 1 problem with conflict of software on a pc just stick to the basic software that came with the pc (apart from AV spy scans) having said that, while ago someone posted this link, I've found it most helpful have a gander.............

http://www.theeldergeek.com/index.htm