PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pools

daedalus
3rd Aug 2006, 03:58
Don't know about other passengers, but suspect that a large majority would agree - the thing I most want after a long flight, and especially before boarding another flight, is a swim in a pool and perhaps a jacuzzi and a cocktail.
Why don't airport hubs offer this? The pool could be on a higher level and double as a reservoir in case of fire. Arriving in San Francisco en route to Honolulu with 4 hours to kill we (5 of us) booked an airport hotel room and used the pool/jacuzzi room showers and bar to totally refresh ourselves.
No-one seems to have taken this up as a business proposition and I'm sure it's a winner. I won't because I'll be retiring soon with a good pension.
:)

Wino
3rd Aug 2006, 05:13
MIA American Airlines terminal hotel has a pool right at the top. Nice view of the airport operations too..

Cheers,
WIno

ZFT
3rd Aug 2006, 06:03
There's a pool complete with a bar in TI at Changi as well.

perkin
3rd Aug 2006, 10:42
AMS has an airside hotel, no idea if it has a pool though, but at least you can sleep/shower etc without leaving the airport if you're on a transfer....

3rd Aug 2006, 13:55
AMS has an airside hotel, no idea if it has a pool though, but at least you can sleep/shower etc without leaving the airport if you're on a transfer....
No pool (they are rare in Dutch hotels in general anyway), but it does have a sauna.

Curious Pax
3rd Aug 2006, 14:18
MIA American Airlines terminal hotel has a pool right at the top. Nice view of the airport operations too..
Cheers,
WIno
Sadly the pool/health club on the roof have been shut for 'maintenance' for about 2 years now. As you say, a nice view of airport operations, and the family complained less due to the pool/food!

perkin
3rd Aug 2006, 19:51
[quote=840]No pool (they are rare in Dutch hotels in general anyway)/quote]

Probably no space for them in this little country, plus a swimming pool in Holland probably has to be deeper than in any other country to accommodate all those tall Dutch people, thus hugely increasing the cost of construction! ;)

SXB
3rd Aug 2006, 21:03
That's a good point Daedalus, on arrival at the hotel I normally jump straight into the bath in my room. Alas, more and more hotels are now fitted with shower cubicles only...

Most of my travel nowadays tends to be to the south caucasus where the flights always seem to arrive in the middle of the night and the hotels which have health clubs are normally closed for the night.

Out of interest is there anyone in the industry who knows why flights to the south caucasus always arrive and leave in the middle night ? I'm normally picking up these flights on Austrian Airlines from Vienna or Bmed from London (Bmed's arrival times normally being better but it's the long way round for me) Lufthansa from FRA normally arrive at the same unearthly hour...