PDA

View Full Version : Dining-in Night Question

tablet_eraser
3rd Aug 2006, 01:23
In the course of planning a DIN for November, I've been asked by the Stn Cdr to ask the band to play "that trumpety bit where everyone bangs the tables and the musician walks around".

Based on this vague description, I recognise the piece but can't remember its name. To prevent me from making buzzy trumpet noises down the telephone at a bemused bandmaster, can anyone tell me what it's called?

Cheers,

t_e

tablet_eraser
3rd Aug 2006, 02:52
That's the one. Normally ends up with people banging tables enthusiastically and spilling port everywhere.

Now, the name...

Truly, this is what night shifts are for!

Wholigan
3rd Aug 2006, 03:14
Post Horn Gallop.

BEagle
3rd Aug 2006, 05:12
What sort of ignorant git of a Stn Cdr has never heard of the Post Horn Gallop :mad: ?

Standards must be slipping!

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Aug 2006, 05:44
Praps it was an initiative test. :E :D

Spotting Bad Guys
3rd Aug 2006, 06:43
Suggest you speak to one of the RAF Voluntary Bands - generally a must on any DIN and always in the folder...... Bands at Halton, Waddington, Cosford, Kinloss, and a couple more which escape me at this time!
Good Luck!

Pontius Navigator
3rd Aug 2006, 07:20
and Horncastle.

There are 2 versions too :}

tablet_eraser
3rd Aug 2006, 07:40
HAHA! Thanks, I'm shocked I'd forgotten. Still, there won't be any embarassing buzzing noises through a telephone at Uxbridge now!

Thanks, chaps.

Fatjoff
3rd Aug 2006, 07:42
I've heard some fairly dire renditions of the Post Horn Gallop over the years, but each and every one got a terrific reception and outstanding applause, I suppose because we all appreciated just how difficult it is to master.

teeteringhead
3rd Aug 2006, 07:44
Also a volunteer band at St Athan (which contrary to rumour still exists!) who do a cracking Post Horn Gallop.

Probably what you should have said down the dog to the bandmaster was "Diddy diddy diddy diddy deeeee - whoop whoop whoop whoop!"

MrBernoulli
3rd Aug 2006, 07:47
Jay-sus! Standards must be slipping! I suppose that Stn Cdr can't remember what to call the 'pointy fast things that go whoosh'! Chimp!

Spotting Bad Guys
3rd Aug 2006, 08:05
How could I forget Wyton! Sorry guys!

allan907
3rd Aug 2006, 09:38
I can remember a certain RAF Band doing the Post Horn Gallop at a DIN with a trumpet mouthpiece shoved down the end of a .303 Lee Enfield. Now THAT got a rapturous applause.

PS: Try the Central Band as you are at Uxbridge - they may still have that in their repertoire

DummyRun
3rd Aug 2006, 10:06
Surely in todays modern 'lean' air force you'd ask the HR director (OC Admin) to task the civvy contract mess management consultant to ask someone nicely in his/her flat structured team to download the Post Horn Gallop from I-tunes onto your I-pod to play through the 5.1 surround sound system with a dvd of a brass band on the 42'' plasma screen tv in the mess bar, which I guess is where you'd hold a modern D-In night, in jeans and sqn polo shirts, on a thurs lunchtime ready for an early stack on fri....

What's the PPrune equivalent of a ToG? !!!

teeteringhead
3rd Aug 2006, 11:07
What's the PPrune equivalent of a ToG? !!!...BEagle???;)

SirPercyWare-Armitag
3rd Aug 2006, 11:27
Who is that woman we have to toast at the end of the dinner?

k3k3
3rd Aug 2006, 12:27
Is she the one with the Marmite? For the toast?

Clockwork Mouse
3rd Aug 2006, 15:32
SPW-A
You mean the one you pledged your allegiance to when you joined the uniformed elite?

The Underwriter
3rd Aug 2006, 15:40
Where is your DIN taking place? In the East Midlands somewhere perhaps?

I only ask because it appears that the Post Horn Gallop is the signature tune of none other than Leicester City FC and is played before every home match.

Doesn't seem to improve the quality of their football.........

Rick Storm
3rd Aug 2006, 16:58
I was lead to believe the 'post horn gallop' are the few short words spoken when the gentleman takes his leave of the boudoir.

Rick

MrBernoulli
3rd Aug 2006, 17:11
Well done Rick! LOL:D

BEagle
3rd Aug 2006, 17:32
No, that's either "Cad's Retreat" or "Lounge Lizard's Escape"....

As for:

Quote:
What's the PPrune equivalent of a ToG? !!!

...BEagle???

I'd sue for libel if it wasn't true! Although my preferred wireless station isn't the BBC Light Programme and Terry Wogan, it's 'Big L' - the reincarnated Radio London of 'pop pirate' days which can now be heard on Sky 0190 or on the Interweb streaming audio thingy.... Rumour hath it that it'll also be available on 215 metres Medium Wave (or 1395 KHz MF in new money) ere long.

Pierre Argh
3rd Aug 2006, 19:20
uniformed elite... the RAC?

Fly380
3rd Aug 2006, 20:50
Mr Vice - the Queen. All assembled - The Queen. Gawd bless her. No erase the gawd bless her!;)