PDA

View Full Version : New 5.1 PC 5.1 speakers to work with SB Live 5.1 card?

Saab Dastard
3rd Aug 2006, 00:17
The amplifier unit on my aged but excellent Cambridge Soundworks DTT 3500 has failed. :{ Known problem, but my attempt to fix it ended less than successfully :ouch:

I don't believe that trying to find a replacement head unit is possible or sensible, so I find myself in the position of needing a replacement 5.1 speaker set, compatible with my existing Creative Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1 card.

I am looking at the Logitech Z5500, but before shelling out the bulk of £200, I am trying to ascertain if there are any compatibility issues / cabling problems between my sound card and these speakers.

Anyone got any experience of this combination?

Cheers,

SD

Conan the Librarian
3rd Aug 2006, 10:36
Unsure abouth the SB Platinum, but the SB 5.1 live has proved OK in the main for me. What Creative don't tell you about, is the special, single digital "Out" to Digital "In" lead which is available from them direct. It converts the mini jack digital out to a more conventional digital in on your amp. It still didn't work on my setup though!

The sockets are an odd arrangement and to be honest, I have left them alone since plugging in via the three out sockets to a 6 plug RCA in connection on a home amp and I get a thunderous 640 watts RMS through a cheaply assembled Hi-Fi system.

Now this brings me on to part two. There are many options for speakers and those designed for computer use are the first to be chucked off my list. They are small, usually quite tinny and expensive as well. You can get cheap home theatre 5.1 systems, complete with a reasonable little amp, for about £80. My preferred choice, is to get a cheap home theatre amp and plug it through two brace of good quality monitor speakers, such as Gale, JBL, Kef, Eltax or similar. Chuck in a dedicated subwoofer and you will have have Albert Hall acoustics and Rolling Stones power, for about the same cost as the sysems you might see in PC World (shudder...)

I know of a good suppplier and will PM you the details, while I sit and listen to my Rolf Harris albums in glorious surround sound. The Stylophone solos are just amazing.

Conan

Saab Dastard
3rd Aug 2006, 11:01
Thanks Conan - and for the PM!

SD