PDA

View Full Version : Career after RAF SH

Chillwinston1
2nd Aug 2006, 19:17
As someone who is due to undertake an SH OCU later this year i am looking for advice from more experienced guys as to what rotary pilots
generally tend to do career wise at the 16/38 point. Is it difficult to go the airline route? etc. This is obviously in the quite distant future for me (2019!!!) but after looking at house prices in oxfordshire recently (and nearly falling over!!) maybe at least some idea of where my proffessional life could be headed may be appropriate.

Thanks very much.

J

serf
2nd Aug 2006, 19:38
After multiple tours with minimum time at home between, you'll be too knackered to do anything else - according to some on this forum.

serf
2nd Aug 2006, 19:40
3 years since IOT, and not yet productive?

Evalu8ter
2nd Aug 2006, 19:45
Chillwinston,
Welcome (nearly) to SH. I don't blame you for looking long term, in todays air force this shows a prudent hedging of bets. Nearly all of the SH pilots (and some Navs & crewmen) I've known who've sought airline employment at their 38/16 point have been successful. There are some caveats to this, however. Normally, SH mates would expect a F/O position at a Charter outfit (Thompson/Easy/BMI etc) before switching to larger operators, but recently some have been successful at getting into BA/Virgin/Cathay directly. I think what I'm getting at is that your attraction to an airline is directly proportional to their needs. You could quite easily spend 25K of your gratuity getting an ATPL (A) + type rating and then be still earning less than in the military for a few years, or if terrorism/SARS/bird flu etc hit again you might not be welcome at all. I don't know what part of the country you're from, but my advice would be to buy a property now somewhere like Aberdeen / Inverness / Glasgow where you might end up either flying planks or helos post the RAF. Who knows, you might even make money on it! Good luck on the OCU!

OverTq
3rd Aug 2006, 08:37
Having spoken to a number of ex SH mates who've gone to the airlines, many find the job desperately boring - the grass isn't always greener! Those who've moved on to rotary jobs various around the world, or in the UK, are generally happier with their lot. I would suggest that in a few years you get your ATPL(H) as a bit of insurance and then see what the outside world is like as you get closer to your exit date.

Dunhovrin
4th Aug 2006, 16:09
Currently typing this in a hurry as in 30 minutes we're off wine tasting in Napa on a day off c/o of the "desperately boring" airline job I now do. The flying ain't as much fun but by the time you're nearing 38 I would suggest
it becomes more about the lifestyle.

Whilst an ATPL(H) in the back pocket is a no-brainer I would suggest getting the /A by foul means or foul and go for the biggest airline that still exists in 2019 (British easyRyangin no doubt).

Though in the meantime I would suggest getting thru the OCF and first couple of tours might be a priority. And buy any house you can afford near base - just make it one that doesn't need much upkeep as it'll be a place to dump kit between camping trips...

Gotta go...

jayteeto
4th Aug 2006, 22:17
I didn't get the airline job, but I was fussy on the location. If you are prepared to live anywhere, then you should get a job. Take advice from me please...... I did an ATPL (H) as an insurance policy and it worked!! 3 years down the line it is still paying the bills AND I enjoy my job. Mind you, that wine tasting sounds right up my street, hope they don't bag you tomorrow old chap!!

Spacer
6th Aug 2006, 13:46
Chill: Don't I know you from somewhere??!!