PDA

View Full Version : Suse Linux 10.0 Updates

None of the above
2nd Aug 2006, 16:18
Some time ago I tried installing Suse 10.0 on a second hard drive (dual booting) but never managed to get the online update functioning and deleted it.
I've recently had another go and installed it on a spare drive as 'master' plugging/unplugging as required. The online update problem was briefly resolved when Google came up with this.......

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2006-May/0698.html

Having manually intervened using the suggested address, about 40 minutes worth of updates (on broadband!) flooded forth.
As my enthusiasm for the OS had been rekindled, I went for the full dual boot installation once again but sadly I am unable to get history to repeat itself. Using YaST, I am informed that it is getting a list of mirror servers. After several minutes a message appears to the effect that a connection is not possible etc.
As per the message above, once again I tried using the quoted address http://suse.mirrors.tds.net/pub/suse/
Unfortunately this now results in nothing. It is not possible to abort either of these these processes to try something else, so considerable time is wasted on every attempt.
There must surely be a quicker/easier way to update the system.

Does anyone know what it is.............. PLEASE?

Ta,

N o t a

diginagain
2nd Aug 2006, 17:44
You could always give Amazon £38 and buy 10.1, getting a full set of disks and a manual.

Mac the Knife
2nd Aug 2006, 18:00
At least it didn't accuse you of having an illegal copy!

Yes, the update servers have changed from time to time - the SuSE/Novell website has an updated current list.

Grins aside, I presume that you have checked (Firefox, Konqueror, ping etc.) that you are able to access the Web at all?

:ok:

Cheerio
2nd Aug 2006, 19:12
Apologies for the minor hijack, but it is relevant to Suse 10.1 updates.

If you are running suse 10.1 and wondering how come there are no updates.....
http://www.novell.com/linux/security/advisories/2006_pkupd.html
There is another (final?) fix released this week

None of the above
2nd Aug 2006, 19:42
Hallo Mac,

Yes, I can access the web (doing it now) using Konqueror, although Firefox resolutely refuses to play ball.

diginagain.............

I spent about the same sum with Amazon last November for this version which also included a complete set of disks and a manual.
I decided to have a go at Linux in one manifestation or another, in an attempt to keep the brain cells alive.

The effect is definitely cranial................... I'm tearing my hair out!

Thanks Gents,

N o t a

Richard Spandit
2nd Aug 2006, 22:09
Think yourself lucky - I bought a new 64 bit computer and installed SuSE 10.0 on it - can't get it to boot without disabling USB in the BIOS... amazing how limiting lack of USB can be :ugh: :ugh:

diginagain
3rd Aug 2006, 05:18
N o t a, being completely new to Linux, but completely hacked off with the alternative, I'm prepared for the experience. I'm bald.

None of the above
3rd Aug 2006, 15:25
Let joy be unconfined!

After a considerable time, including a lengthy wait simply to connect to the server, I have now managed to download all available updates - all 243mb!
During the wait I had time grow a beard of Shavian proportions and take in one or two of Tolstoy's shorter offerings.
Seriously, if Novell wish to offer Suse as a viable alternative to MS Win, then they will have to make life easier than this. I'm willing to try other distros so if you have recommendations perhaps you'd be kind enough to post them here. Does any particular offering work straight out of the box with minimal intervention from the user to keep it running smoothly?
I want to make the change to Linux as I can see Win XP being ditched ASAP after the introduction of Vista and I don't really want to send Uncle Bill another $200 even if he is down to his last couple of trillion.

Cheerio,

N o t a

Mac the Knife
3rd Aug 2006, 20:12
Does any particular offering work straight out of the box with minimal intervention from the user to keep it running smoothly?

Glad it's working. I've also had long waits for the update servers and agree with you that Novell/SuSE need to address this problem.

As for other distros, I much prefer KDE to Gnome and can suggest Kubuntu (Ubuntu on KDE) as one alternative to the Gnome based Ubuntu.

I'm really a SuSE fan, but I've always had a soft spot for Warren Woodford's MEPIS Linux - http://www.mepis.org/ - despite the recent teacup-storms around strict GPL compliance recently. I've got a couple of old MEPIS versions that are really impressive and am waiting for delivery of the latest SimplyMEPIS 6.0 on CD. It's one of the only distros that have the sort of consistency that you can only get when one guy is in charge and whenever I've had a question I've always had a quick and helpful answer from Warren himself.

I want to make the change to Linux as I can see Win XP being ditched ASAP after the introduction of Vista and I don't really want to send Uncle Bill another $200 even if he is down to his last couple of trillion.N o t a

Yes, I'm sure MS will do what they can to get people to move to their all-singing-all-dancing latest mess of DRM, but they won't ditch XP that soon for fear of precisely what you say (they've only just stopped supporting 98SE). But Bill's had his last $$$ off me - by the time Vista SP1 has appeared (to fix the worst bugs), most of the current remaining usability issues in mainstream Linux will have been corrected and Windows will be where it belongs - just another OS.

:ok:

None of the above
4th Aug 2006, 15:47
Thanks Mac............

I'm grateful for your advice re Kubuntu which I'll attempt in the near future. I'm just starting to get to grips with Suse. Having used Win of one kind or another for the last seven or eight years, it all seems a bit strange, but I've a couple of manuals to help ease the pain. Come to think of it, the manuals have all the answers but the real trouble is knowing what questions to ask!
Firefox still won't play the game, by the way.

Thanks,

N o t a

Tinstaafl
5th Aug 2006, 19:44
Kanotix is another good distribution. It's the only distro I've had that set up my laptop's winmodem without any intervention from me.

It's a Knoppix/Debian based live distro that runs from the CD but also has good scripts that manage the hard disk install.

Mind you, I'm tempted to install Gentoo next so I can play with the optimisation ability.

asuweb
5th Aug 2006, 20:22
Can seriousely recommend Gentoo. If you've you've got time to spare, you can learn a lot from building the OS from the stage 1 tarball. Good distro once it's all up and running. Emerge (gentoo's package installer) is also very good, and works well.