PDA

View Full Version : How does the "other half" cope...?

Michael Ochsbigg
2nd Aug 2006, 16:33
(Forgive me if this topic has been covered before, if it has and you can give me a link then I'd be grateful..)

You lot will invariably be in a similar situation to me - away with work several days at a time. If you have a partner at home, how does it affect your relationship? Mine absolutely hates me going away and although we've been together a few years now it never seems to get any easier. Do you think our industry is bad news for people who yearn for a long, strong marriage?

Mike Ochsbigg

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Aug 2006, 17:31
Contract work where one is away for months at a time can lead to severe strain on a relationship. Can't see a couple of nights at a time being too much of a problem but I guess that would depend on the couple themselves.

In the end it's all about trust...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
2nd Aug 2006, 17:33
Mine absolutely hates me going away miine generally hates me being around :{

Chesty Morgan
2nd Aug 2006, 17:35
Maybe you two should swop!!:}

scruggs
2nd Aug 2006, 17:37
My mate is a contractor doing some work in the oil industry out in West Africa. He spends six months out there, and six months back in blighty. All this with a wife and two nippers (3 and 1).

That must be hard. I couldn’t do that. Wouldn't have thought a few nights would be a problem. Each to his/her own I guess.

Michael Ochsbigg
2nd Aug 2006, 17:49
Sorry, should've said - I'm away most weeks 4 or 5 days at a time. She reckons I'm a "part-time partner"!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
2nd Aug 2006, 18:00
I'm away most weeks 4 or 5 days at a time.Sweeeeeeeeeeet :ok:

Honey Trucker
2nd Aug 2006, 18:13
Not necissarily representative, but of my pilot friends, 4 have been divorced in the last year and 2 sadly look like they about to. (2 short haul and 4 long haul).

You almost get the impression you are barred from a command course until your marriage has f:mad:ed up.

G-CPTN
2nd Aug 2006, 18:19
Not necissarily representative, but of my pilot friends, 4 have been divorced in the last year and 2 sadly look like they about to. (2 short haul and 4 long haul).
Is it the way of life or the personality and character of pilots?

Honey Trucker
2nd Aug 2006, 18:25
From what I know, it is the lifestyle and pressure of the job.

Only one of them has been playing away from home, the rest have just had their marriages fall to bits as they work max. hours (short haul) with odd start/finish times and roster changes disrupt family life. The long haul guys seem to get trips extended or roster changes at short notice which really screws with family life.

teeteringhead
2nd Aug 2006, 18:35
Certainly military wives seem to get used to it - mine was always surprised on the rare occasions I was home - particularly if it was (even rarer) during the day ..... as she put it (God Bless Her!)

"I married you for better or worse ...... but not for lunch!"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
2nd Aug 2006, 19:11
Is it the way of life or the personality and character of pilots?if it was due to the personality of the pilots...

...they wouldn't have got married in the first place :} :} :} :} :}

peaked cap, coat with eppalettes, doors to automatic

reynoldsno1
3rd Aug 2006, 02:05
Am away at irregular intervals - longest about 3 weeks or so ... make sure all bills etc, are paid automatically, ring home regularly etc.... been married 16 years, no interest in playing away 'cos I'm still in love and r1jr knows she will lose her mobile phone if she messes Mum around ...

...don't underestimate the bargaining power of mobile phone confiscation from a 15 yr old ....:E :ok: