PDA

View Full Version : Militarry service

Revolutionarry
2nd Aug 2006, 01:28
With the seemingly deteriorating situation in the world and wars apparently breaking out everywhere and with the British Armed forces as we are told close to full stretch, I would be interested to know that if the Britsish government wanted to co-opt British registerd aircraft into militarry service and the aircrews and ground staff that operate them, can this be done, as it was during the Faklands war in 1982, and simular to what happens with the Royal Naval Reserve in civilian shipping.
Does anyone have any points about this?

allan907
2nd Aug 2006, 03:05
No .................. (dots added for bandwidth thingy)

Blacksheep
2nd Aug 2006, 06:42
Many of the aircraft flown by the airlines don't belong to them and the leasing companies (non-British, you'll notice) would insist on them being placed beyond reach. I reckon a lot of the crews would insist on being beyond reach too! :suspect:

I had an uncle who was in the merchant navy in 1939. He saw what was coming, signed on with an Argentinian shipping company and never came home until 1946. Gran was so pleased to see him she gave him an ostrich feather. A white one.

It didn't spare him the war though - his first ship was torpedoed and his next one hit a mine.

Wingswinger
2nd Aug 2006, 07:53
They wouldn't dare. It's one thing to be called upon to defend one's country, one's people or their immediate territories or interests, quite another to be dragooned into foriegn commitments or, as some call them these days, "humanitarian" wars.

ORAC
2nd Aug 2006, 08:07
Amazing what powers they actually do have..............

Transport Act 2000 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2000/00038--o.htm) part 1, Chapter VI:

Control in time of hostilities etc

93. - (1) The Secretary of State may-

(a) give directions to any listed person in any time of actual or imminent hostilities or of severe international tension or of great national emergency;
(b) give directions to any listed person requiring him to participate in the planning of steps which might be taken in any time of actual or imminent hostilities or of severe international tension or of great national emergency.
(2) The listed persons are-

(a) the CAA;
(b) a person who provides air traffic services;
(c) a person who operates a United Kingdom air transport undertaking;
(d) a person who operates an airport;
(e) a person who owns or operates a relevant asset........................

Orders for possession of aerodromes etc.

94. - (1) This section applies in any time of actual or imminent hostilities or of severe international tension or of great national emergency.

(2) The Secretary of State may by order provide for-

(a) any aerodrome, and
(b) any aircraft, machinery, plant, material or thing found in or on any aerodrome,
to be taken into his possession and used by or for the purposes of the armed forces of the Crown.

(3) An order under this section may, for the purpose of securing compliance with the provisions of the order-

(a) provide for the detention of aircraft;
(b) make such other provision as appears to the Secretary of State to be necessary or expedient for securing such detention.
(4) A person must comply with an order under this section notwithstanding any other duty, however arising.................

tony draper
2nd Aug 2006, 08:10
At the outbreak of the second world war the government nationalised eveything,they owned everything and could take anything,literaly anything they wanted,except the land,well I mean most of them were land owners weren't they and that would have been a step to far,they could however take over any house and its contents they wished,and indeed did take over various stately homes, estates ect
Old Uncle Hugh was peeved that they did not nationalise the land him being a bit of a lefty to put it mildly.
So in the event of war if they so desired they can take everything from the gold in yer teeth to the dirt from under yer fingernails.

Wingswinger
2nd Aug 2006, 08:38
.....all of which is fine if our beloved country is in peril. However, it's not fine if it's to go gallivanting around the Middle East or anywhere else Holy Tone alights upon. No sireee.

I just thought I'd add this bit to see if anyone will bite: I'm ex-military and proud of it. But I'm not proud of the wars we British have been involved in since the Balkans flare up in the 1990s. Had I not left the Service at the end of the 1980s I think I would have resigned in disgust at some point between say, 1994 and the present day. Kosovo was the defining conflict for me. NATO provided an air-arm for a Marxist terrorist organisation (the KLA) and bombed civilians in Belgrade. Disgusting. I do not believe in "humanitarian" war. There is nothing, absolutely nothing humanitarian about any war.

tony draper
2nd Aug 2006, 08:45
Well as our tone sees it,a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,who is to say he is wrong?time will tell.
:rolleyes:

Davaar
2nd Aug 2006, 08:52
Old Uncle Hugh was peeved that they did not nationalise the land .

The dear old fellow was needlessly upset. When they wanted land they took it, and what is more, did not always give it back at the end of the war. Remember Crichel Down.

tony draper
2nd Aug 2006, 08:59
Think I told you this before, old Uncle Hugh buried a cache of German rifles ammo grenades and such in a wood in France somewhere,all ready for the revolution he was sure would follow the war,he would never tell me exactly where though.
As he used to say, them Jarmins made good rifles.
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
2nd Aug 2006, 13:01
Maybe the solution to World conflict would be for each country to recruit (or conscript if necessary) troops for the World Peace Enforcement Army? Sort of like NATO or UN . . .
Such troops to be totally independant of national armies, yet available at a moment's notice to intervene like a Police force (though equipped with the latest and best armament).
One can but dream . . .

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
2nd Aug 2006, 13:28
No, no, no. You run a gigantic computer game, live in peace and prosperity, but when the computer says your number is up, you have to report to the disintigration chamber to be anhialated.

It worked just fine for Eminiar VII until a certain Star Ship turned up :*

Here's a picture of how prosperous they became

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/98/STArmageddon.jpg/270px-STArmageddon.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:STArmageddon.jpg)

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Aug 2006, 13:39
Thems would be the Mauser rifle with the K98 action, one supposes Herr D.

Wouldn't mind a couple of those. Extremely well made and accurate, even though mass produced.

G-CPTN
2nd Aug 2006, 13:47
Heckler and Kock don't sound English . . .

Here's their latest 'beauty':-

HECKLER & KOCH 40mm GRENADE MACHINE GUN (GMG)
Increasingly, armed forces worldwide require a universal fire support system to combat ground targets. In the past, armies have depended on heavy machine guns or light mortars, but neither is ideal.
Conventional rifle ammunition provides no fragmentation effect, and is largely not effective enough against advancing armoured infantry fighting vehicles and battle tanks. On the other hand, mortars have the disadvantage of a relatively low rate of fire Contrary to that The HECKLER & KOCH GMG combines the advantages of the two types of weapons mentioned above.
High flexibility and firepower combined with the fragmentation effect of the mortar ammunition-and the possibility of using armour piercing ammunition. The weapon may be used on a tripod or easily mounted on vehicles, patrol boats or in helicopters.
Its high fire power and accuracy as well as easy handling make the GMG the first choice for engagement of ground targets. It thus comes as no surprise that the GMG designed and manufactured by HECKLER & KOCH has been declared the technologically unsurpassed Grenade Machine Gun.
http://www.heckler-koch.de/media/Produkte/gmg01.jpg

Blacksheep
3rd Aug 2006, 02:25
They won't be as welcome on Stickledown as the Mauser 98's I fear... :hmm:

Loose rivets
3rd Aug 2006, 06:26
(2) The Secretary of State may by order provide for-

(a) any aerodrome, and
(b) any aircraft, machinery, plant, material or thing found in or on any aerodrome,
to be taken into his possession and used by or for the purposes of the armed forces of the Crown.

They want my thing!!!!!?????? **** 'em, they're not 'avin that.

ORAC
3rd Aug 2006, 06:40
Is that a euphemism for a peccadillo?..... :rolleyes:

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Aug 2006, 07:04
Grenade Machine Gun?

Aaahh, developed for those worthies who perfected "reconnaissance by fire", the US military, no doubt.:E :ok:

seacue
3rd Aug 2006, 13:08
At least some land was requisitioned at the start of WW2. A family I know of farmed in Devon not far from the Channel. Their farm was taken. I don't know the whole story, but they didn't go back to the land after the war.

A daughter (nurse) was killed when the hospital in Plymouth was hit during the war.

lasernigel
3rd Aug 2006, 13:35
Served Queen and country and proud of it.:ok: