PDA

View Full Version : Travel City Direct Strange G/A at EGCC 2120 1/8

Ex Cargo Clown
1st Aug 2006, 22:20
Anyone have any ideas why the 747 went around at around 6-8 mile final tonight. I assume it was the above airline, I just heard noise and saw a 747 with a red tail heading North off the approach.

Config error ??

anartificialhorizon
2nd Aug 2006, 04:07
Why not try airliner world ? They are more geared up for spotters .......

Config warning for take off ( power + flaps).

Likely to be runway occupied............

MAN777
2nd Aug 2006, 06:41
Go arounds are common these days at EGCC, due to runway being occupied or slow crossers when on dual runway ops.

Also gusty winds yesterday caused some interesting approaches.

Doors to Automatic
2nd Aug 2006, 09:03
Also gusty winds yesterday caused some interesting approaches.

Tell me more!

SCFC
2nd Aug 2006, 14:26
I too saw this go around and was puzzled as I've never seen one like it before. I live a mile or so north west of the approach to EGCC 24R and have done so for 16 years. I am very used to seeing and hearing aircraft and most I hardly notice but a different engine tone or track gets my attention. I saw this aircraft with alot of flap and gear down but it appeared to me to be north west of the ILS track. The VOR/DME approach to 24R is slightly, but noticeably, north west of the ILS track but this aircraft seemed north west of even that. Very quickly after I saw the 747 it turned right to 300/360 degrees, gear up and quickly climbed into cloud. I saw it later on what appeared to be the ILS track and at a familiar height.
I am not an aviation professional and so the usual caveats apply.

Ex Cargo Clown
3rd Aug 2006, 03:00
Why not try airliner world ? They are more geared up for spotters .......
Config warning for take off ( power + flaps).
Likely to be runway occupied............

By Config error I meant it would be about time he was fully configuring, so maybe assymetric flap or didn't have three greens.

I can't see how it can have been Runway occupied, he was far too far out, easily 7 miles, if not further.

lurkio
3rd Aug 2006, 13:36
It was though.

Curious Pax
3rd Aug 2006, 14:14
A non-professional opinion, but a missed approach from 7-8 miles out for reasons of runway occupied isn't unreasonable - in fact I imagine most pilots would prefer it, rather than ATC waiting until they can see the whites of their eyes! Had one myself a few years back on approach to Schiphol - at least that's what the crew told us, as we were still in low cloud at the time so I've no idea how close we were!

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
3rd Aug 2006, 14:21
If ATC are fairly sure that the runway blockage isn't going to be cleared by the time the approaching a/c reaches the threshold, then it makes sense to go around at that point.

chiglet
3rd Aug 2006, 15:07
Spoke to the ATCO involved last night. A/c in front declared a "hydraulic leak" at 3 mile final. As the B747 was 4 miles behind, he was "broken off" the approach and repositioned. We had to have a runway inspection due to [possible] contamination of the runway.
watp,iktch

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
4th Aug 2006, 21:53
It's been quite a busy week for G/A's at MAN this week, compared to normal.

2 more in succession I noticed on Friday afternoon.

A 757 which went around early (maybe 3-4 miles???) and a BA RJ-145 straight after which was probably 2 miles form touchdown or so.

I guess it was another blocked runway situation as the airport was on single runway ops at the time.