PDA

View Full Version : Frightening Experiences

Felix Saddler
1st Aug 2006, 20:48
What has been your most frightening experience? whilst either, being part of the crew or a passenger?

con-pilot
1st Aug 2006, 20:51
Landing after the bars were closed.:eek:

sprocket
1st Aug 2006, 20:51
Food and service.

Cricket23
1st Aug 2006, 20:55
..not me, but my brother was for a while a regular (pax) 'commuter' across the big pond. On one flight the turbulence was pretty rough. He was reading his book and happened to notice that the pax next to him was as white as a sheet and had equally white knuckles from gripping the arm-rests. So, my brother waves the book in his general direction and asks whether due to the turbulence he should skip to the last couple of pages!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
1st Aug 2006, 20:55
being seated next to a woman who was breast feeding :ooh:

lexxity
1st Aug 2006, 20:57
Why was it frightening A.? Or were you secretly jealous?

G-CPTN
1st Aug 2006, 20:59
being seated next to a woman who was breast feeding :ooh:
Not THAT old chest nut again?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
1st Aug 2006, 21:02
Why was it frightening A.? because she had six breasts.

What a dog :(

Cricket23
1st Aug 2006, 21:02
...,but Aaa...agh didn't say whether or not it was a baby that was being feed!

colmac747
1st Aug 2006, 21:04
I hope this doesn't offend, but when a nipper (v.young) i vividly remember being on a 747, 2-3-2 seat formation.:8

Anyway, what kinda freaked me out was the 3 section seating at the front of the 747 was taken up by many, many men all wearing the same clothes and all having huge beards.

My father mentioned them being Hasidic Jews. I had no idea, at that young age, who or what Hasidic Jews were.

I hope this doesn't come across wrongly, but it was quite scary when you didn't know nowt about them or who they were.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
1st Aug 2006, 21:05
did the aircraft have underwing stores?

Oops, I just got the thread hamsterwheeled :E

G-CPTN
1st Aug 2006, 21:19
many men all wearing the same clothes and all having huge beards.
My father mentioned them being Hasidic Jews. I had no idea, at that young age, who or what Hasidic Jews were. .
Are you sure they weren't Santa Clauses?

colmac747
1st Aug 2006, 21:27
Maybe! :8

On googling and finding out more info on Hasidic Jews, they all looked like below.

http://misheli.image.pbase.com/u23/automat42/upload/37024583.WaitingfortheBrooklynFerry.jpg

As i say, as a very young 'un, it was quite scary/frightening, personally

G-ZUZZ
1st Aug 2006, 21:34
What are the things hanging from that guy's ears, on the right?

They look a bit like fuses.

B Fraser
1st Aug 2006, 22:15
mmmmmmh I think that's a wheel off a formula one car with parts of the suspension still attached. Maybe he bought it in a garage sale ?

sorry, thread creep

Chesty Morgan
1st Aug 2006, 22:18
Pissing off a hostie. And then having her bring in a cup of tea smiling sweetly:eek:

blue up
1st Aug 2006, 22:34
OK. I'll bite.
O-something in the morning, Bullet Caribbean flight back to the UK, Random track, Dark (obviously), smooth ride, Alone in the office, strapped in with the full 767 harness (Not S.O.P., but sensible).
Waking up.
Must've drifted off, slipped out of one side of the harness that hadn't been clicked in and then banged my right eyebrow on the sharp edge on top of the control yoke clipboard. Waking up with a jolt, I swung my head up with such a surge of adrenaline that the old gyroscope toppled. I had the frightening feeling that the nose had gone to the vertical (Upwards) and that I NEEDED to push the nose down.
I stopped myself before I touched the yoke. Icy chill over my whole body.
Now, if that ain't scary enough for you.....how about a steward coming in and saying that he'd bought a packet of pink "Fondant Fancy" cakes for the flightdeck:eek:

Standard Noise
1st Aug 2006, 22:44
Pissing off a hostie. And then having her bring in a cup of tea smiling sweetly:eek:
Are you sure she brought you a cup tea smiling sweetly, or was it a cup of tea smelling sweetly. In which case she was more than pissed off.:uhoh:

As for frightening experiences up there, can't think of one. I mentally shut down when flying, it bores me to tears. Anyway, it's no fun as a pax, I can't tell the pilot what to do, no fun at all.:hmm:

stevef
1st Aug 2006, 23:38
Groundcrew - seeing the freight door of a Dakota come open a few inches on take-off and having to close it again. I modified the latch handle with elastic shock cord after that.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
2nd Aug 2006, 00:26
Are you sure she brought you a cup tea smiling sweetly, or was it a cup of tea smelling sweetly. In which case she was more than pissed off.:uhoh: What's the problem? Some people pay good money for that :oh:

Felix Saddler
2nd Aug 2006, 00:28
I mentally shut down when flying, it bores me to tears.

Why are you a pilot then?

Standard Noise
2nd Aug 2006, 00:56
Why are you a pilot then?

Erm, I'm not, although I thought my profession was obvious from my last sentence. Maybe I shoulda used BIG letters to spell that one out.

Mudfoot
2nd Aug 2006, 01:19
Riding JFK-DCA in a 727, watching the ground come up, then suddenly...

NOSE HARD UP, ENGINES ON TOGA, GEAR RETRACTED, HARD RIGHT BANK.

After giving the pax time to clean their seats, pilot explained a twin Cessna had stalled on the runway last moment.

I fly outta IAD now.

Cheers, y'all.

makintw
2nd Aug 2006, 08:42
Finding out what happens if you don't recover from an incipient spin. :ooh: :yuk:

Davaar
2nd Aug 2006, 09:15
Meeting, well almost meeting, an aircraft that entered the circuit "the wrong way" at night. That was just fifty years ago. I can still see the rivets in the glow from the A/C I/D light.

lexxity
2nd Aug 2006, 10:25
Approach to EDDN one clear and calm night, gear down, flaps extending, ground coming up to meet us at a steady rate, everything normal then a sudden nose up, roar from the engines and around we went from a pax point of view it felt about 50ft from the runway but I expect it was higher than that. Did the go around and touched down well and then were followed by the fire service to the gate. That was lovely when I was all of 17 and on my own. What made it worse was the buggers did it again on the return leg!!!

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Aug 2006, 10:44
Door came off the rail of a PC-6 on jump run with a bunch of first jump studes I'd just trained. Managed to hold onto door handle to prevent it going into the tail, notify the pilot and keep the studes calm and on their butts with their reserve handles covered at the same time. Landed OK and headed straight to the club bar for a million beers as there was no more jumping that day.:uhoh: :ooh: