PDA

View Full Version : I've trapped....

airborne_artist
1st Aug 2006, 13:58
I heard a squawking noise from the moorhen's nest, went out to investigate, and heard a thunk as the trap (set to catch live rats, and so spare the water voles) shut, looked down and there was a mink:

http://www.hrmconsultancy.net/images/personal/minksmall.jpg

It made the most horrible screaming noise, bared those very viscious teeth, and so I quickly called a friend to give it a "lead sleeping pill".

Anyone need a mink pelt? - it's in the freezer :ok:

tony draper
1st Aug 2006, 14:06
Poor little fecker why didn't you just let it go? :(
Bad karma to kill something you do not intend to eat, may you return as a dung beetle with a particularly sensitive nasal organ and a weak stomach .:uhoh: :rolleyes:

Quincy M.E.
1st Aug 2006, 14:10
Talking of trapping animals..........

Does anyone know how I have mice in my 1st floor flat? Can they climb walls?

Bought some expanding foam yesterday and filled in everything I could find and laid out some poison so hopefully that will keep them out and keep Mrs Q from leaping up onto the sofa!

AcroChik
1st Aug 2006, 14:14
As every New Yorker knows, mice will climb pipe races (and so do other unwelcome creepy crawlies). Steel wool is also a good rodent barrier.

G-CPTN
1st Aug 2006, 14:15
There are always 'voids' through which cables and pipes run (how does your water reach you and your 'waste' leave your flat).
Traps are 'satisfying' when they are successful, but typically work only 'one-at-a-time', whereas poison will tackle the problem en masse.

airborne_artist
1st Aug 2006, 14:16
TD

Mink are not native to the UK - all are descended from animals that were "freed" by animals rights activists who broke down fences at fur farms. They have no predators, kill for fun, especially anything with feathers, and are partly responsible for the massive reduction in water vole numbers. They also fight with and drive out otters. They breed well, travel long distances and are becoming a big problem.

This one was a young female, so she'd have produced 4/5 cubs each year for at least three years....

Mice climb the internal drain pipes here at Artist Towers, and get into the roof, where they have loud, all-night parties, wearing heavy boots...

Quincy M.E.
Yeah I see what you mean. Well hopefully they wont be able to get into the living area now. I dont mind them running around the floorboards as long as they stay there.

ORAC
Mink are exterminating many native species since their release into the wild by "animal rights" campaigners. Revealing just how truly ignorant and stupid the vast majority of them are. (The campaigners that is, the mink being cunning b*ggers)

The only good feral UK mink is a dead one.

airborne_artist
1st Aug 2006, 14:20
The ridiculous thing is that minkhounds are governed by the Hunting Act, despite the fact that mink are vermin, yet the Act allows rats and rabbits to be hunted by any number of hounds :ugh:

ORAC
1st Aug 2006, 14:24
Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it is illegal to release captured mink. They must be destroyed humanely.

tony draper
1st Aug 2006, 14:27
Like Bill Muny one has killed just about every thing that walks or crawls at one time or another, yet one could not bring oneself to pop a cap on any critter now.
Two legged one's? no prob.:E

rotated
1st Aug 2006, 14:31
Poor fecker... had to be done then I suppose but wasn't HER fault... :sad:

Ahh well send it on, shall make a spiffing ear cover for Jr. :ok:

Foss
1st Aug 2006, 14:34
Be jaysus, that's an evil looking thing.
Problem we have have in Fos Towers are field mice. They're tiny things that eat Crunchy Nut cornflakes (they chew into the box if you leave it out, and poo on the work top) and make the dog go beserk.

Rats can be a problem too. They are the skinhead football hooligan of the rodent world. They just look at you saying come on, come on dare you to try me. Think I'm going to eat that poison, no chance.
Then go back to the forest smirking.

Fos

G-CPTN
1st Aug 2006, 14:44
Friends lived in a rambling house (in an urban setting) with 'butler's pantry'. In fine weather the back-door was left standing open, allowing access to the butler's pantry (though there was a further door in the passageway to the main house). As the weather worsened, the outer door was sometimes closed. Occasionally 'Mrs' would hear someone knocking on the outer door, would open it,but there was no-one there. Coincidentally, potatoes were disappearing from the butler's pantry. Eventually, 'Mrs' discovered that whenever a knock came to the door, a rat would rush-in, pick-up a potato, and whilst she was looking around outside for the mysterious phantom caller, it would nip back out with the potato.

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Aug 2006, 15:37
One's choccy issue was attacked by meeces in the Antarctic. A year's supply of chocolate was stored in a wooden crate in one's personal store and the meece would nibble the corner off each bar and then go on to the next one, thus destroying around twenty odd kg of choc. Wasteful little buggers.:*

One feels the same as Herr D. One would be hard put to have to shoot an animal. As a spearfisherman, one shoots only what one can scoff that day. Not a fan of frozen or stored fish.

The human race on the other hand....:rolleyes: Still of the opinion that there's nothing humane about humans.

airborne_artist
1st Aug 2006, 15:52
After yesterday's result, I re-set the trap. Imagine my surprise when I went out just now to find another mink trapped.

Standard Noise
1st Aug 2006, 15:57
Another couple of days and the wife will have a new coat........and you'll be in her good books, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

ORAC
1st Aug 2006, 15:59
Male looking for its mate?

G-CPTN
1st Aug 2006, 16:00
After yesterday's result, I re-set the trap. Imagine my surprise when I went out just now to find another mink trapped.
WELL DONE!
Keep it up! You are performing a public service.
Now you've got enough for a willy-warmer AND a merkin!

Parapunter
1st Aug 2006, 16:00
Drapes, What has Skippy ever done to you?:(

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
1st Aug 2006, 16:05
Humans are not native to the UK - all are descended from ones that wandered over from Gondwanaland They have no predators, kill for fun, especially anything with feathers, and are partly responsible for the massive reduction in water vole numbers. They also fight with and drive out otters. They breed well, travel long distances and are becoming a big problem.

Was it still in the cage when your friend shot it?

cavortingcheetah
1st Aug 2006, 16:12
:hmm:

My contribution to the lustful sport of mink merkin massaging:

http://www.merkinworld.com/

Christmas is just down the road!;)

airborne_artist
1st Aug 2006, 16:39
Another female by the looks of things, but bigger than the one I caught yesterday. Shot in the cage at point blank range with a .22 air rifle. One shot between the eyes and it's gone.

cavortingcheetah
1st Aug 2006, 16:47

One of the great advantages of the rifle over the shotgun for this sort of thing is that the local taxidermist can then stuff the creature without having to try and conceal the amply peppered fur.:ooh:
Stuffed and weighted; mink make very good and conversational door stops.:cool:

airborne_artist
1st Aug 2006, 17:07
mink make very good and conversational door stops

As door stops they would not last long here though - our Border terriers would have them in shreds in minutes...

jabberwok
1st Aug 2006, 17:14
As door stops they would not last long here though - our Border terriers would have them in shreds in minutes...

Hedgehogs are better if you have pets..

cavortingcheetah
1st Aug 2006, 17:15

I suppose that a stuffed border terrier, whilst neither having the same cachet as a mink nor being as delectable to stroke, would make an equally good door stop. Mind you, border terriers and a mink in a pit together would make a fine sporting spectacle with the possibility of serious betting as to the savage outcome an extra incentive ?:ooh

AerBabe
1st Aug 2006, 17:21
I've just thought of a great project I could do with the cadets... :E

G-CPTN
1st Aug 2006, 17:26
Stuffing a merkin?

colmac747
1st Aug 2006, 17:31
Feckin murderer.:}

Loose rivets
1st Aug 2006, 17:45
Spending as much time as we could in past summers at the Dedham mill, we would feed the swans as they swam with their young up to the deck. It was like Heaven.

However, every so often as swan would turn up injured. Sometimes it was a cretin with a crossbow, but more often than not, it would be damaged caused by mink. Yes they had been ‘liberated.'

My pal had a panther in his IR sights one night. Said he couldn't pull the trigger on that one.

airship
12th Aug 2006, 08:01
If I were a_a, I'd make sure to capture all these events on film for posterity. Who knows, perhaps one day the grandkids might even appreciate watching the stuff...? :}

Eliason
12th Aug 2006, 12:14
airborne_artist

We have one of them also running around our garden - sometimes living in our car-port... Don't you want to come and catch it too? :\

Has been a nuisance ever so often for years now - chewed on cables of the car mainly, eating up our catfood... it's a big fellow by now - 3 of them might make a nice shawl! :D

Eli