PDA

View Full Version : Story from The Age website - Flight attendant saved leaping passenger

Taildragger67
1st Aug 2006, 11:27
Flight attendant saved leaping passenger
August 1, 2006 - 12:40PM

A female flight attendant has been praised for preventing an agitated passenger leaping three metres onto the tarmac from a stationary aircraft.

Jetstar cabin manager Belinda Cohen tackled the young man when he pushed open the door of an aircraft at Launceston Airport in Tasmania on Saturday.

The 30-year-old Newcastle-based flight attendant, helped by two passengers on the packed flight, wrestled the distressed man to the ground.

"She's very heroic," Jetstar general manager of corporate relations Simon Westaway said today.

"She stopped him from potentially injuring himself."

The Melbourne-bound flight 102 was about to take off at 9.50am (AEST) on Saturday when the man, aged in his early 20s, became distressed.

Eventually the aircraft returned to the terminal so the man could be removed from the flight.

He was taken to the front of the aircraft and lunged to open the door after it had been disarmed, but before stairs were put in place, said Mr Westaway.

Two passengers, including Victorian grandfather and former police superintendent Don Grigg, helped Ms Cohen restrain the man.

"She saved his life," Mr Grigg told the Mercury newspaper.

Mr Westaway said Jetstar was "very thankful" to the passengers who assisted.

"I think these situations do happen and passengers rise to the occasion," he said.

"Some call it the Australian way ... I think all those involved wouldn't have done anything any differently if the same thing was to happen again."

Ms Cohen is on compassionate leave with a sore back but Mr Westaway said she was in good spirits.

"She feels no malice against the individual," he said.

Mr Westaway said Jetstar was still finalising the incident report and reserved the right to "take the matter further".

He said the young man, who had been a regular customer, would need to present a medical certificate if he wanted to fly with Jetstar again.

AAP

Capt Fathom
1st Aug 2006, 11:35
"She saved his life," Mr Grigg told the Mercury newspaper.
Yep...ten feet to the ground can be life threatening!
Maybe they were more concerned about the delay if the passenger actually got the door open and the slide popped!

Enema Bandit's Dad
1st Aug 2006, 11:35
Maybe the passenger suddenly realised that he was on a Jetstar flight :uhoh:

Ultralights
1st Aug 2006, 11:44
Maybe the passenger suddenly realised that he was on a Jetstar flight :uhoh:

Sadly that was my immediate first though when i read it was a jetstar flight.

Mstr Caution
1st Aug 2006, 12:36
Mr Westaway said Jetstar was finalising the incident report and reserved the right to "take the matter further"

I suppose they have the option to have the punter prosecuted or to charge him for the additional services rendered.

That makes me wonder, do they ask how your going to pay for the cuffs once there on?

I'd be wanting more than a medical certificate to have him set foot in an aircraft again.:8

Torqueman
1st Aug 2006, 12:40
I've heard of guys going to great lengths to get a hug from a Hostie, but that's ridiculous. :ouch: Just buy her a few drinks next time. :cool:

Dark Knight
2nd Aug 2006, 03:35
Bloody bleeding heart F?A's - should have let him jump same as we should encourage all those wishing to leap from tall buildings, bridges, etc to jump!

Will save the community much in the way of costs associated with trials, jail or hospital care.

DK

ur2
2nd Aug 2006, 04:28
Capt Fathead,
I'd like to see you leap 13 ft onto solid concrete without serious injury at the very least.
In fact quite a few people have been killed over the years falling from a/c doorways whilst stationary.
How about giving this FA some credit. She did a good job and deserves some credit for it. :D

The Full Monty
2nd Aug 2006, 07:14
Well said ur2.

In my former life (before I had grey hair), whilst on an exchange posting, was on the ground at RAF Akrotiri when one of my AEOps tripped and fell out of the rear left door. That man never flew again and spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

:= Concrete at speed is nasty to pink bodies.

Well done to the CSM.:D

king oath
3rd Aug 2006, 01:59
They should have let him jump and do his bit to improve the gene pool.

the maori mobster
3rd Aug 2006, 05:34
nah bro

he heard about kfc's finger licking 10 piece meal and was off bro.....

cheap as chips.....

car kitty anon

king oath
3rd Aug 2006, 07:23
Living proof Adelaide bogans can swim.

Scooter Rassmussin
3rd Aug 2006, 07:55
Poor guy probably makes a living out of staged accidents , and Jetstar denied him of his rightful (settlement) income.:=