PDA

View Full Version : Dreams

got banned
1st Aug 2006, 10:26
Here's mine from last night. Took my mum to Manchester airport to watch the planes take off. Saw a DC-10 crash onto a building, but everyone evacuated safely. I then helped the pilot fly the thing back to a train station. It was powered by electricity, and the power was applied by touching two wires together. As we pulled into the train station, I asked the pilot if he ever considered a career in medicine.

Confused? It all made sense at the time, but now utterly bewildered.

What's the point of dreams, and do they mean anything?

tony draper
1st Aug 2006, 10:31
No they are all internally generated, just the skull cinema doing its thing, don't look for any meaning, thats tree huggy new age nonesense.
:cool:

Barkly1992
1st Aug 2006, 10:49
Yawn :8 - this has been discussed and debated by '000s of psychs for over 150 years.

Of course they mean something. But not that you would know.

Google it.

:E

BombayDuck
1st Aug 2006, 10:58
Well, I went ot car showroom. Told the dealer I want that one, pointing to a shiny red one. Guy in suit says "9 lakhs" (that is 900,000 Rupees, or 11,000 or so of yer pounds). I hand him my credit card and he takes it and walks off to swipe it. only after he's gone I remember I don't have the credit for it.

He walks back and proceeds to say, "Sir..." to which I respond with a sad smile, "I know, I know....", pluck the card from his hand and turn around and walk away.

Thats it. What kind of a dream is that? No excitement whatsoever! :*

tony draper
1st Aug 2006, 11:01
Why should one take note of summat debated by psychotics? :rolleyes:

Bern Oulli
1st Aug 2006, 12:27
Years ago, dreamt I was on duty in the tower where I worked. Circuit was very busy with a continuous stream of touch & go's. All seemed very normal at the time, it wasn't until I woke up that I remembered that they weren't aeroplanes but 3-ton trucks. What was that all about?

Buster Cherry
1st Aug 2006, 12:36
Reminds me of a favourite chat-up line.
"I had a dream about you last night....."
"Did you?"
"No, You wouldn`t let me".
First heard it in a Carry-On film. Always raised a smile.

AcroChik
1st Aug 2006, 12:50
Years ago, dreamt I was on duty in the tower where I worked. Circuit was very busy with a continuous stream of touch & go's. All seemed very normal at the time, it wasn't until I woke up that I remembered that they weren't aeroplanes but 3-ton trucks. What was that all about?

You should be working for FedEx Ground.

rotated
1st Aug 2006, 13:46
Funny this thread should appear today, had an especially vivid dream last night, 'twas up in the hills hereabouts at a friend's cabin when yon mountain began to erupt, rocks rolling down; one even struck the window.

Woke up with a start and realized I had a rumbly tummy, and that the fan timer had just clicked off!

I also agree dreams are not alway as mysterious as they first seem, usually just the subconscious working out what the mind has recently perceived. :ok:

tony draper
1st Aug 2006, 14:02
I don't agree I have been subject to vivid dreams since sproghood I seldom if ever dream of the days events,memory is definatly involved,people appear I have not seen or even thought about for twenty or thirty years,generaly bit players in my life,seldom anyone I deal with day to day.
I am unusual in that I have good recal of dreams, most people find them evaporating as soon as they wake up the more they try and grasp them the quicker they dissolve,ergo I think dreams take place in the short term memory storage area of the noggin,a good thing when you think about it,the organism entertains us whilst asleep but is wise enough not to let it clutter up real life with false memory I can still remember particular vivid dreams I had as a kid as they were real memories ,so perhaps me head is faulty,one still maintains they are meaninless,facinating though.
:rolleyes:

Cheerio
1st Aug 2006, 14:09
I only have drab monochrome dreams that I can hardly remember.
The reason I can be so sure of this is because by way of comparison, a few years ago I got put on Beta-Blockers, and for a few weeks while I got acclimatised to them, every night I had the most exciting, vivid full screen extravaganzas. It was like living the life of James Bond, always exciting, and no nightmares.
On the subject of nightmares, I had a beauty when I had a fever with measles, it was so traumatising I still recall it with horror. It carried on when I woke up, which was most unsettling.
It sounds laughable, but I was on a golf course, and the golfers were whacking balls at me. Except when they got up close, these balls were great big white spheres that rolled after me. I avoided them but could not outrun them. Absolutely terrifying.
Never been a fan of golf.

There is no meaning to them, as any Jack Russell will tell you, other than a bit of paw twitching and yipping in your sleep.

rotated
1st Aug 2006, 14:25
...seldom if ever dream of the days events,memory is definatly involved...

Well I don't disagree there, I guess my use of "recently" was wrong; in last night's dream there was folks there I hadn't seen in years. Mebbe better to have said that dreams can be triggered by immediate surroundings but can call upon the memory's reserve to fill in details.

WTF do I know, I was sleeping... :zzz:

Do often "wake up" in dreams though, and realize I'm dreaming. Usually write down the good ones to remember better, though couldn't be bothered last night. Did check yon mountains, though, just to be sure... :ok:

frostbite
1st Aug 2006, 15:44
The worst dreams are the ones where you dream you can't get to sleep..... wake up knackered.

Second worst are when you dream the front doorbell's rung.

Standard Noise
1st Aug 2006, 15:51
Worst dreams are the ones where you think you're married to Jennifer Aniston/Kirsten Dunst etc etc.

OK, OK, it's not the dreams that are the worst bit, it's the waking up beside the woman mad enough to say "I do".:{

got banned
1st Aug 2006, 16:53
a few years ago I got put on Beta-Blockers

I think mine came as a result of mixing some rather good cheese and red wine.

ps I believe that atenolol is less likely to cross the blood / brain barrier.

Loose rivets
27th Aug 2006, 06:36
I'll resurrect this thread 'cos my mate told me a dream of his today. It is the weirdest thing.

Firstly I'll mention that he is a mechanic by nature and indeed trade.

"I looked down into our car park and saw some people pulling a large dog by its lead. Its legs were stiff and there was blue smoke coming off his paws."

(Paws for exclamations ) No, I digress...back to the dream.

"I ran down and remonstrated with them...told them that they shouldn't do that to the poor dog. They then explained to me that all was well, they were just trying to start him. !!??

What do you mean?????

Well, yesterday we fitted an engine in him and it worked okay...but now it won't go.

I considered the problem, it all seemed to make sense now. I walked to the rear of the dog and lifted its tail."

I'm not kidding...this is just as he told me.

"Sure enough, there was a deep hole where his bum should have been, and in it was an hex ended shaft. I told them that I would go to my garage and get some tools.

I got a socket set, but it seemed to turn into an old Morris starting handle...but it fitted. In no time the dog's engine was going, and it left the car park with its owners." Dream ends.

You couldn't make that up. Well, only in your subconscious.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
27th Aug 2006, 06:43
the worst dreams are ones where you go to the toilet :(

Loose rivets
27th Aug 2006, 07:09
the worst dreams are ones where you go to the toilet :(

and everything is so shiIIy that you can't use it. :ooh:

Talking of Hutch, I had a dream last night. I had just got to sleep and I was potting some shots with me new camera. Suddenly David Sole Sp? Was looking out of a window. I'll get some shots of him' Said I.

It's all about the batteries that are being recalled I suppose...filed away in the inner recesses of me mind. But suddenly my camera went off with a HUMONGUS BANG. Bugger, me batteries have exploded I thought. I looked down and my camera's remains were on the ground, with smoking circuitry bulging out of the cracks. I wonder if the lens is okay.' No, the contacts were all alight. I then got to thinking if Nikon would realise that I had used pattern batteries.

I had only been asleep for 30 mins, and now me heart was beating ten to the dozen.

Foss
27th Aug 2006, 20:49
I dream constanly about people nicking my stuff, because I've just moved and lots of stuff is in storage.
But I'm ok, I've got the the teddy I stole off my brother 33 years ago, and a dog that licks your face when you twitch too much.
She twitches, I wake her up, I twitch, she wakes me up.
My darling beloved thinks this is a great solution.

Fos

allan907
28th Aug 2006, 02:19
OK....I don't believe this meaning in dreams stuff.....but this is weird. On Saturday night (actually probably Sunday morning just before waking) I had this weird dream about a metal ruler, noticing that the measurement indentations were green on one side and grey on the other. Hadn't noticed that before thinks I, and how clever that they can get different coloured paint in that small recess. I am then handed another similar ruler by my mate and notice that this one has red on one side and grey on the other.

"Hey, this is different to mine," I say.

"Yep, it's because it's an Australian ruler," he says. "They have different colours because it rains from the right in the UK and from the left in Oz."

(yes, that was a bit weird)

Anyway, it was so graphic that I related the dream to my partner when we woke up.

About 2 hours later I was doing some work and trying to work out some distances on a map. "Try this scale ruler," she says.

I look at it and the indentation down the middle of this triangular ruler is green on one indentation, red on another, and grey on the third.

Blew me (and my partner) away!

G-CPTN
28th Aug 2006, 02:28
In the Northern hemisphere, the sun rises from your left and sets to your right, so the sun moves left to right.
In the Southern hemisphere, the sun rises from your right and sets to your left, so the sun moves right to left.
Funny old World.

Loose rivets
28th Aug 2006, 03:36
I look at it and the indentation down the middle of this triangular ruler is green on one indentation, red on another, and grey on the third.
Blew me (and my partner) away!

It's a sign!...........it's a sign!.

allan907
28th Aug 2006, 11:17
YES.......It's a sign..... but of what????:confused:

frostbite
28th Aug 2006, 13:24
Got really hooked by computer game (Age of Empires II Conquerors) some years ago. Sort of game where you think 'must pack up now it's midnight' and discover it's actually 4am.

Go to sleep and spend the night dreaming about it.

Still play it.