PDA

View Full Version : So, How 'bout That Mel Gibson Fellah?

Rollingthunder
1st Aug 2006, 02:11
Shot himself in both feet?

Loose rivets
1st Aug 2006, 02:31
Yes, having put both of them in his mouth.

CSilvera
1st Aug 2006, 02:40
I don't think anyone was really surprised at his anti-semitic outburst or his drinking issue!

Loose rivets
1st Aug 2006, 02:50
Apart from perhaps, those that had invested in his latest film.

AntiCrash
1st Aug 2006, 03:11
I do hope that he can someday dislodge his head from his ass. He is a talented man. With all the opportunities he has, it's sad to see the hate overtake him.

:ugh:

Buster Hyman
1st Aug 2006, 03:28
He was mis-quoted. Don't forget, he spent a long time in Oz, & we say "Youse", which can be misinterpreted...http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/pom.gif

Jerricho
1st Aug 2006, 14:05
Mebbe he wanted to know when the next bus was so he could get home?

TokZik
1st Aug 2006, 17:35
I dont know what his problem was, yes Jerricho maybe he was looking for a bus or perhaps another beer lol who knows

But once he put his foot in it the whole world for sure was going to find out I mean hey leave the guy to pay what he ows and move on .. im sure he can afford it

airship
1st Aug 2006, 18:03
I'd just call him a schmuck :}

AcroChik
1st Aug 2006, 18:28
II'm trying to imagine the conversation Mel Gibson and David Hasselhoff will have over weak instant coffee in the rehab center lounge.

airship
1st Aug 2006, 21:00
I must admit, I don't keep up with the careers of most of these folk. When you mentioned David Hasselhoff, I immediately thought of the "blond guy" in Starsky and Hutch. So I had to google and came up with this (http://www.davidhasselhoff.com/biography.html):

His remarkable musical career took off in the late 1980s when he recorded the album, Looking for Freedom, at the end of the Cold War. The song became an anthem for the German people and remained at the top of their charts for eight weeks. The album went triple platinum in Europe, and Hasselhoff was named "Most Popular and Best Selling Artist of the Year" in Germany. He sang "Looking for Freedom" from atop the Berlin Wall during the German reunification celebration. Is there supposed to be more than a circumstantial connection between a) Mel being a schmuck, b) Hasselhoff being named most popular artist in Germany and c) both of them sipping Nescafe together in a clinic... :confused:

I realise it's merely your super-intelligence displaying itself again. I should have got it, but I didn't. :{ Please explain so that other challenged pruners like myself might learn... :ok:

AcroChik
1st Aug 2006, 21:08
Another example of one typing out loud to one's self. It's just an entertaining thought, is all. I'm easily entertained. As an aside, it's 100F / 100% humidity here, with no sign of rain.

airship
1st Aug 2006, 21:44
I think that if Mel Gibson feels so contrite and wishes to make amends, he should volunteer to go to Beirut, perhaps as an Israeli "special ambassador" (you know, like how the UN have their special ambassadors and everything), just to explain stuff that's been going on and everything.

I can imagine the conversation between a couple of Beirutis (is that how you call 'em?):

Samir (Christian Lebanese): "Who is this jerk? Good-looking s.o.b. though, he looks like a Hollywood actor?!"

Walid (Muslim Lebanese): "But he is a Hollywood star, didn't you see his last film - The Passion of The Christ, mate?"

Poor ole Mel was never heard of again... :(

PS. I'm easily entertained - that gives one pause for reflection... :E ;)

brain fade
1st Aug 2006, 21:47
Make amends my arse.

So he got drunk and shot his mouth off. Big deal

Some folk are waaaaaaaaaay too touchy!:=

Buster Hyman
1st Aug 2006, 22:17
If it wasn't Mel Gibson, would we have heard of this...or cared for that matter?:rolleyes:

con-pilot
1st Aug 2006, 22:24
If it wasn't Mel Gibson, would we have heard of this...or cared for that matter?:rolleyes:

I still don't care.:ok:

airship
1st Aug 2006, 22:37
Everyone (including myself - but only half-wittingly) is trying to make a judgement of an individual at arm's length...

Well, you know how Hollywood actors and actresses have a reputation of jumping into bed with each other, living together or marrying briefly, having kids, separating, then doing it all over again in a coupla years' time?!

Well, according to the info at my disposal, Mel has not only been married to the same woman for a heck of a long time (in anyone's parlance) but he's also remained faithful to his beloved wife of all those years.

Can't be too many Hollywood types like that around, regardless of the length of their foreskins or whether they were Ozzies to begin with. Having said that, if I were Mel, and Nicole had beckoned to me with her little finger... :O

Unwell_Raptor
1st Aug 2006, 22:47
Why do we cut so much slack to famous idiots?

He is a weird, pro-booze, anti-you-know-who spoilt stupid son of a bitch.

He ought to be history in decent circles.

Let's move on.

Rick Storm
1st Aug 2006, 23:03
Mel, he's not a happy bunny..........

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/dazdaz1/pissedoff.jpg

Or maybe he was getting into character for Brave Heart II Like most Jocks:ok:

I'll get my coat.

airship
1st Aug 2006, 23:49
How repentant is anyone supposed to become, when they're used to being flown everywhere in an executive jet though...?!

Bonus points for airship having introduced an aviation component into this thread...?! ;)

AcroChik
1st Aug 2006, 23:55
Maybe for his eons in Purgatory he'll come back as junior crew on a US Airways Express CRJ200.

BelfastChild
2nd Aug 2006, 01:17
[quote=Rick Storm]Mel, he's not a happy bunny..........
quote]

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/08/02/melgibson_narrowweb__300x362,2.jpg
I don't know....he has a smile on his face...........

Buster Hyman
2nd Aug 2006, 01:59
That's because the photographer said; "Smile & say Oi Vei!"

BlueDiamond
2nd Aug 2006, 02:29
Some folk are waaaaaaaaaay too touchy!
Which is probably one of the best reasons for not making stupid, racial comments. Gibson may well have succeeded in cutting the throat of his own career and making a public apology isn't going to fix the problem.

Maybe he thinks it's like going to confession; do the wrong thing, 'fess up to the priest a few days later, say a couple of prayers and the slate is wiped clean ready for the next transgressions. :rolleyes:

Wino
2nd Aug 2006, 05:14
I remember hearing about his dad during the Passion of the Christ movie.

His dad says the holocaust nevr happened... I remember Mel distancing himself from those comments. I guess he is a better actor than I thought :D

Cheers
Wino

Brian_Dunnigan
2nd Aug 2006, 07:02
making stupid, racial comments

I wasn't aware that we Jews were a race, but anyways...

I think that religious bigotry is what you mean?;)

BlueDiamond
2nd Aug 2006, 07:17
I was never going to be correct whichever way I expressed it. Even the Jews themselves are, at times, unable to decide whether they belong to a racial group, religious community or other unifying identity. Netanyahu maintained that Jews were a racial group as well as a religious one ... and certainly there have been plenty of non-religious Jews to indicate that "religious group" is not necessarily the correct term. So where does the truth lie? I have no idea. I used the expression "race" for convenience, if that was incorrect, I shall be more than happy to edit the post with a more appropriate substitution.

ORAC
2nd Aug 2006, 07:39
The Times:

.....It also emerged that the sheriff’s deputy who arrested Gibson — before the actor’s now infamous antiSemitic outburst — was Jewish.

“I don’t take pride in hurting Mr Gibson,” said Deputy James Mee. “What I had hoped out of this is that he would think twice before he gets behind the wheel of a car and was drinking. That would be my hope that this would accomplish that. I don’t want to ruin his career.”

Mr Mee added that he did not take any of Gibson’s comments seriously, saying: “That stuff is booze talking.”

Farmer 1
2nd Aug 2006, 07:56
“That stuff is booze talking.”Or perhaps it is more like the booze releasing some of the man's inhibitions. This could be what Mel Gibson is really like, when stripped of his carefully protected PR screen.

Brian_Dunnigan
2nd Aug 2006, 08:19
That's alright BlueDiamond! As a Jew myself, I don't see anything wrong with what you said, but I don't consider the Jews as a race, merely the members of a religion:Judaism.

There's too much use of that "r" word now that it begins to lose all meaning...

Shalom to you all!

Capt.KAOS
2nd Aug 2006, 08:37
Always considered Mad Mel a vain putz. Besides his arrest is way over exposed but understandable in the light of the current world affairs.

BlueDiamond
2nd Aug 2006, 09:19
No worries, Brian_Dunnigan. :ok:

“That stuff is booze talking.”
A convenient excuse that is trotted out all too readily. Getting p!ssed does not bestow a new personality and a new set of personal beliefs on someone, it merely removes some of the restraints under which they operate or express their usual ones. If Gibson made those comments when he was drunk, you can believe that is exactly how he feels. It is only when a person is not drunk that he's able to effectively hide his true feelings.

Howard Hughes
2nd Aug 2006, 09:22
He's never been the same since he started wearing womens underwear...;)

Perhaps the hamster wheel could now be called "Mel's place" in honour, or dishonour whichever way you look at it!!:E

Farmer 1
2nd Aug 2006, 11:59
No worries, Brian_Dunnigan. :ok:

A convenient excuse that is trotted out all too readily. Getting p!ssed does not bestow a new personality and a new set of personal beliefs on someone, it merely removes some of the restraints under which they operate or express their usual ones. If Gibson made those comments when he was drunk, you can believe that is exactly how he feels. It is only when a person is not drunk that he's able to effectively hide his true feelings.
That's what I was trying to say.

handysnaks
2nd Aug 2006, 12:17
Getting p!ssed does not bestow a new personality and a new set of personal beliefs on someone, it merely removes some of the restraints under which they operate or express their usual ones.

So when the next drunk you meet grabs you round the shoulder and slurs
"You're my best mate, you are". I take it you will actually believe that you are his/her best mate then!:hmm:

G-CPTN
2nd Aug 2006, 13:23
I was never going to be correct whichever way I expressed it. Even the Jews themselves are, at times, unable to decide whether they belong to a racial group, religious community or other unifying identity. Netanyahu maintained that Jews were a racial group as well as a religious one ... and certainly there have been plenty of non-religious Jews to indicate that "religious group" is not necessarily the correct term. So where does the truth lie? I have no idea. I used the expression "race" for convenience, if that was incorrect, I shall be more than happy to edit the post with a more appropriate substitution.
So are Jews just an Arab Sect?
(This is partly a mischievous comment, and partly (ignorant) inquisitiveness.)

AcroChik
2nd Aug 2006, 13:29
Here in New York City, I grew up knowing lots of Jewish people. There are Jews of many regional and ethnic backgrounds here. Ashkenazi Jews are descended from Central and Eastern European Jewish communities. Sephardic Jews are descended from Southern European Jewish communities such as those in Spain. In Israel there are many other ethnic Jews as well, such as the Fallasha from Ethiopia, and some South Asians as a result of the European presence in India, etc. My knowledge of this is very limited; there are many other ethnic Jewish communities.

There are also many different types of Jewish religious adherance, from the Hassids through Orthodox, Reform and also the non-religious Jews who seem to strongly identify with the intellectual aspects of their religion. This list is far from complete. Yet, they all identify themselves strongly as Jews.

Wino
2nd Aug 2006, 13:34
Are the Jews a race?

Well, there was a very interesting program on the History Channel about the "Cohen Gene" that they found in all the Jewish groups, including the ethiopian jews that were airlifted out a few years ago.

Normal occurance of the gene is something like 6 percent, and the Jews have it around 50 percent.

Does that make them a race? I guess...

Cheers
WIno

AcroChik
2nd Aug 2006, 13:38
"Race," is a concept not recognized in science. It's a purely social idea. Preservation of genes in all species of plants and animals varies from region to region, from family to family.

Would a group of people amongst whom the preservation of the operative gene for estrogen independent breast cancer is statistically significant be called a race?

http://www.ferris.edu/isar/archives/genewar/deadidea.htm

ORAC
2nd Aug 2006, 13:48
AcroChik, have a look here (http://contingencytable.********.com/2006/04/race-useful-concept.html), if for no other reason that it is a good blog.

AntiCrash
2nd Aug 2006, 13:50
Was that "George M" or "Cindy" Cohen?

one dot right
2nd Aug 2006, 15:19
UNWELL RAPTOR

Who died and made you king?:mad: :mad:

vapilot2004
2nd Aug 2006, 20:09
Mel works for Hollywood.

Many Hollywood top executives are of the Jewish persuasion.

My first impression of his alleged drunken tirade:
'Hollywood event' - contrived and untrue.

AntiCrash
3rd Aug 2006, 13:47
Mel works for Hollywood.
Many Hollywood top executives are of the Jewish persuasion.
My first impression of his alleged drunken tirade:
'Hollywood event' - contrived and untrue.

Ok, so what's your second impression? Are many of the Hollywood Police hiarchy of the Jewish persuasion as well? Did they help stage this "Hollywood Event"? :ugh:

G-CPTN
3rd Aug 2006, 13:49
I think that as part of his retribution he should be publicly circumcised. THEN he'd understand what Jews have to put up with.

AntiCrash
3rd Aug 2006, 13:59
Ok, So God is speaking to Abraham: Abraham listens and says " Now let me get this straight. You are giving all the land "With" the OIL to the Arabs and we get to cut the ends off our what?

airship
3rd Aug 2006, 14:10
[God continued] But one day, long into the future, a great nation to the west that does not yet exist and that I shall create especially for you, will send you their surplus Willys jeeps... ;)

AntiCrash
3rd Aug 2006, 19:37
Willys Jeeps? Great, they are so much more fuel efficient than those Hummy thingies! :ok:

pigboat
3rd Aug 2006, 23:00
Christopher Hitchens' (www.slate.com/id/2146880/nav/tap1) take on the whole thing.

Howard Hughes
4th Aug 2006, 00:17
Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, who is a regular on one of Australia morning shows, has quite a bit to say about Mel, see here. (http://www.beliefnet.com/story/196/story_19673_1.html) He makes a few very good points...

vapilot2004
4th Aug 2006, 00:57
Ok, so what's your second impression?

You have caused me to give this more than a moment of thought, kind sir - and rightly so. Upon due reflection I have indeed discovered a critical flaw in my theory:

The gross under-estimation of Mr. Gibson's current state of intelligence and/or sanity.
Perhaps if I had actually watched the Passion of the Christ......... :O

Are many of the Hollywood Police hierarchy of the Jewish persuasion as well? Did they help stage this "Hollywood Event"? :ugh:

While I suppose they are out there, I've yet to meet an Irish-American Jewish person. :p

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/beerbig.gif

L'Chiem !

con-pilot
4th Aug 2006, 02:09
I've yet to meet an Irish-American Jewish person.

You have never met my wife.:p

(Just kidding, she is Irish-Sicilian, however, we do have an adopted daughter who is Jewish. So my wife calls herself the good Catholic-Jewish mother!:ooh: )

Loose rivets
4th Aug 2006, 04:00
I was going to write something serious on this thread, but I feel that it might be wasted. But a few comments anyway. In case you're wondering, I'm a Gentile when viewed from a Jewish standpoint, but, God willing, will be the grandfather of a half Jewish child soon. Of course, some may argue that there is no such thing. One is a Jew, down the mother's blood line, or you are not. I don't care, as long as the child is happy.

A book that I read a while back left me stunned. (The Anguish of the Jews. Edward H Flannery ISBN: 0 8091 2702 4 ) I just had no idea to what extent the hatred/fear/envy/ had reached over the last two thousand-plus years.

On a [very good ] talking heads program the other night, a Jewish writer made the comment that it has only been in this era that the Jews have become armed: a force to be reckoned with. Just this statement alone requires considerable thought.

Gibson said, "I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display,...."

Now that's interesting. I have long felt that these feelings are present in many, many ‘gentiles'. [Take this to mean specifically not Jewish.] I just can not fully understand why. Sure, in times past, these feelings were felt by those that were envious, or in some other way affected by the financial prowess of the Jewish fiscal expertise. But there is more to it than that.

A while back we had a super thread about God. Really about the need for a god. Nearing the bottom of one of my posts, [5 para up from end ] I recalled one of my more important memories.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2419666&highlight=beautiful+child#post2419666

Why? Why would she feel the need to almost apologise for being Jewish? What feelings had been instilled into her young mind? A preparation for an inevitable prejudice?

The words that were spat out of Gibson's mouth were from deep inside. Does he represent the masses? Something is there. A vital and eternal mystery. It will take true and careful searching to begin to know what is buried deep in the Gentile's mind.