PDA

View Full Version : Reapply? Yes or no...

yankiwi
31st Jul 2006, 22:02
Alright here's my little dilemma.
Applied to CX , for DESO, the day after I reached the 1000 hour minimum back in 2000. I was called for interview in 2004 at around 3000 hours of flight time. Passed stage 1, off to HK and missed out on stage 2, along with all the others I interviewed with, except one lucky ex-RNZAF A4 chap.
I had a longer than normal chat with Carol when I called to get my unfortunate interview results and she suggested I reapply in a year. So 6 months later, eager as I am , I reapplied. 2005 and I get another invite to interview, around 4000 hours by now. Off to San Fran for the first interview again and it runs about 20 minutes long. Only one tech question about winglets, then the rest of the interview focused on my personal life. In particular that I lost my first wife to a vehicle accident, and I have subsequently remarried. Was not prepared for such inquisitive questions about my personal history and perhaps came across a little short? I am certain that I knew all but one of the tech quiz answers, so I'm sure I passed that.
Called Monica a week later to see results and I was again advised that there "was no position for me at this time". ??? Not even a second interview this time.
So here I sit, one year on wondering if it is worth the effort to apply yet again? We all know the enormous effort involved to prep for this interview and I am struggling to find the motivation after being disappointed twice. If only I had an insight as to what is written in my little file the HR ladies have on me, I would know if it was worth the effort.
CX was always the place I wanted to go, and it still is. I just can't figure out how to jump through the hoops correctly. Aside from this episode, I have been lucky enough to be offered every job I have interviewed for, before and after my CX interviews. Never failed a flight check etc. ie no skeletons in the closet...
I am happily progressing my career here in the US. Currently left seat in the EMB-145 with a good company. Decent $$ lifestyle etc but not my ultimate goal. Born and raised in NZ and would like to one day leave the US.
Sorry for the long post but it is a long story.....
Any opinions, good or bad are welcome. Anyone ever successful on the 3rd try??? Or should I get the hint and forget the Cathay dream???

pakeha-boy
31st Jul 2006, 22:20
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!!!!!!!

........IF ANYONE CAN.....A KIWI CAN.....

never give up mate,your starting to sound like em "west islanders".....:}

all the stuff youve been through ...it should be a breeze...I tried to get into the ALLBLACKS....:( ..(I,d make the aussie team for sure)

Never give up mate...and all the best to you..PB

kiwi_r4
31st Jul 2006, 23:14
Cathay certainly hold an appeal don’t they? I admire how they have positioned themselves as an employer or, more correctly, how the prospective employee has positioned them.

Yankiwi, if your life long ambition is to fly for Cathay, then don’t give up! I would probably suggest leaving it a year before reapplying. Just my view on things.
I really hope you eventually make it with CX.

This question is for anyone really, and at the risk of coming across ignorant! I apologise now! But, why is Cathay the be all and end all of aviation for many?

Aside from big planes and remuneration.

kiwi_r4
31st Jul 2006, 23:27
Hi PB,

Noticed Porirua on your profile. I spent a few years during my youth in Wainui. Just a couple of hills away. :\

All the best.

yankiwi
1st Aug 2006, 00:03
Thanks for the responses.

PB- mate, I was gonna apply to the all blacks about 10 years ago but I was told I would get more chicks and make more $$$ if I was a pilot!!!

Kiwi R4- I understand where you are coming from, it may seem odd that Cathay is the pinnicle for many of us wannabes here but it just suits most of my personal criteria. Decent career progression, good pay, nice equipment etc etc. I know there are many other outfits that offer similar things, in fact I have my application in at several places I would quite happily retire from. But Cathay is hiring, and growing, and profitable, right now. A lot of the other joints are unable to claim those attributes at the moment.
My long term goal is to get back to NZ. So that leaves the slight chance of an AKL basing with CX, or Aunty Helens flying club, Air NZ. The catch is I abandoned the home land and came to the states to fly around in king airs, citations, lears and RJ's. Instead of sweeping the floor for some guy in Ardmore and maybe getting a shot at flying his duchess after 10 years!! So I am part of the crowd that apparently is disliked by the homegrown aviation boys club that is Air NZ. CX it is then!

sizematters
1st Aug 2006, 01:35
sorry if I am the bearer of bad news but unlike criminals in the US who are allowed "3 strikes and out" Cathay only allow 2 !!! so if you have already had 2 goes I'm afraid your Cathay dream is over. There is of course a way around this but ...................................

404 Titan
1st Aug 2006, 02:27
sizematters

For DESO that’s not true. There are a number of people that have got in on their third attempt.

yankiwi

It is very unfortunate that someone has decided to dig around the fact you lost your first wife to a car accident. I personally wouldn’t have gone down that line of questioning because for most it is going to be hard on the emotions for a long time. Having said that, the interviewer may have thought you had moved on because you had remarried, hence the questions. Your response probably and unfortunately had a lot to do with not getting through the second interview. My advise is most definitely reapply and be prepared for all possible probing personal questions that could be thrown at you, no matter how uncomfortable they may be.

yankiwi
1st Aug 2006, 02:58
404 Titan- Thanks for the reply. In retrospect I can see the angle the interviewer was trying to take. I do believe he was simply trying to verify my history, and I happen to have a gap in my professional life due to the circumstances surrounding my personal affairs. So I am unable to explain that timeframe without offering some insight to my personal world. However, I admit he blindsided me with the depth of his questions and the accusational tone he took with some of my replies. I was ready to tell him the thrust rating of the RB-211 and how an INS works, but not so ready to rehash my entire adult personal life! Live and learn, and as always if I had the time over I would answer a few things differently.

Kane Toed
1st Aug 2006, 03:52
Just backing up 404 (and he DOES know everything), I flew recently with someone who got in on the third attempt. The only thing that I would add is that I wouldn't wait - the gates are well and truly open at the moment, and you may as well take advantage of the fact that CX need people NOW! For interest, I think that there is going to be an increase in AUK basings.

Really good luck - and it won't work against you that you are from "Far East Victoria"

Standing by...

kiwi_r4
1st Aug 2006, 05:29
After reading your situation again I agree with Kane Toed.

My angle on leaving it one year was to suggest to Cathay you had taken time to reassess your future etc etc etc.... even though you probably don't need to.

Whatever you do, good luck.

Regards,

Kiwi R4

to sizematters, I think you're an absolute asshole. Apologies to the Moderator.

Cronus
1st Aug 2006, 15:46
If you can spare a week off work, jump on an aeroplane and come see the recruiting staff here in Hong Kong. :ok:

Just make sure you email them first and tell them you're coming through and would like to make an appointment to see Carol, Kelly or Claire, if they have time. Believe me it's worth the effort. Come dressed appropriately with logbooks, licences and an application update and be prepared to answer a few questions. In my humble opinion the best way to proceed!

Regards,
Cronus

the maori mobster
2nd Aug 2006, 08:32
Go 4 it Bro!!!!

I heard of guys getting in on 3 goes for cathay pacihic. don't worry about the interview, you're a KIWI Man. nothing can stop u!!!!!

sometday i fink i'll leave helen's outstretched arms and fly for cathay.

i hear they are hiring and when i get my hours up i'll apply as well.

still waiting for graham henry's call for the all blacks, he did say i was selected for the maori side though. (had to do a ruben thorne and declined) didn't like john mitchell (bit of a tosser).

car kitty anon

yankiwi
2nd Aug 2006, 16:29
Alright, I was on the fence until the mobster spoke up!!!

I suppose I will send off an update and see how it goes. Thanks to all that responded, good to hear that 3rd time around may be a possibility.

Cronus - I may just do as you suggested. I have the means through my current employer to hitch a free ride to HKG so if I can get a week off I may just drop by. My wife and I loved HK when we visited for the interview so a trip back may be in order!

Thanks guys, I will report back any news.