PDA

View Full Version : PVR departure dates

SIT head
31st Jul 2006, 19:13
I know there are few threads with related comments to this running at the moment - sorry mods - but does anyone know if those choosing to PVR when outside amortization requirements, are absolutely mandated to stick to the date of discharge given by PMA? For instance - a few threads mention EU Employment Law as a get out quick option - is this just hearsay or is it a legitimate means for people to have a greater say over their departure? I understand that a trip to see Gilbert Blades, Solicitor, might be money well spent, but there's no point in pushing sh!t uphill if it's a complete non-starter. Before a few folks decide to have a pop at me for choosing to leave, this isn't an anti-air force thread -I've loved my time in - it's just right for me to leave and sooner rather than later. So, if a PM is more appropriate, I'd welcome that.
Thanks. SIT head.

Wrathmonk
31st Jul 2006, 20:03
I have heard of the mythical few that have quoted EU Law (along the lines of you only have to give as much notice as the frequency you are paid ie a month) but I think the QR which talks of "extingencies (sp?!) of the Service" has primacy. That said, if you have a guaranteed offer of employment to go to, which can't be held open, or indeed a genuine need to leave HM employ straight away (family illness etc) raising the question formally with PMA, through the chain of command, has been known to work. May affect any pension / gratuity benefits so take advice from the relevant Pensions people first. Personally, I think its better to work out your ticket and leave the Service on "good terms" (particularly with your Boss!) than employ a solicitor (which will probably only save you a few months at best) and leave with a huge bill in your back pocket!

Best of luck with whatever your future holds.

flipster
31st Jul 2006, 22:48
If it is still available on the RAF intranet, the Air Secretary's Personnel Staff Instructions (ASPSIs) should clarify things for all ranks and trades. Basically, there are about 4 things that define PVR times -

The min-waiting time listed in ASPSIs but also
Amortization of any recent training,
Trade-wide shortages (see DASA stats on intranet to confirm the PMA bolleaux) and any
'Command Requirements'.

This last one is often the posters' get-out clause ie 'You can't go 'coz your boss needs you' .....bullsh!t!

But if your boss is ok with your post being gapped until you are replaced, then there shouldn't be a problem - so TRY TO GET HIS/HER SYMPATHY (ha ha) before you PVR, its a lot easier that way.

Try all this before you have to revert to expensive legal stuff?

However, I have yet to hear of anyone being told they can't go asap if they have a firm offer of a job and a start date..... perhaps because of the EU legal reasons which have already been mentioned, I'm not sure?!
Nonetheless, i didn't need to get heavy-handed - I just went quietly.

(thinks....perhaps they were glad to see the back of me?????):sad:

Bon chance - the grass is greener but it is still only grass!