PDA

View Full Version : SA Validation

DHC8-FO
31st Jul 2006, 19:06
I am going to be heading over to South Africa in about a month to get my FAA certificates validated, as my new company operates north american and SA aircraft. I have done searching on other sites and the CAA website, but cannot find where the course work and materials covered are.

I have probed my company but cannot get a completely straight answer as to what material I will be reponsible for knowing (specific reg's, etc), what to expect, etc. I do not know if the materials we are covering are company specific or if there is some sort of general course that every person, no matter who they are working for, would have to complete in order for one to have their licenses validated. Seeing as how the majority of my flying has been in North America, those are the rules and reg's I am familiar with.

If anyone can shed some light in this, and maybe point me in the right direction of the materials covered as I would like to get a jump start, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fella's.

B200Drvr
1st Aug 2006, 09:36
It is an open book exam on Air law & Procedures, get the Cats and Cars and give them a good going through so that you are familiar with the sections and where to find things. Should be no problem.

vanraider
2nd Aug 2006, 13:47
In order to get a SA validation you need to do the following:

1. Got to CAA in Midrand with licences, logbooks etc and see Rose Matseke at Licensing
She will decide if you can go ahead with the validation based on your documents.
2. If she says yes then fill out a form and register for the exam.(pay around 200 rands)
3. see Aeronav Ground school in Lanseria. they will be able to sell you a conversion kit for around 500 rands. these are study books and examples of questions (which quite a lot show up during the exam)
4. Do the exam at CAA. It will be multiple choice on a computer. You have 2 hours to complete +/-40 questions. Once you finished you will be given your results straight away.
5. Pick up forms for the general Flight test and Instrument Rating.
Unfirtunately you have to go through this
6. get a designated examiner and do flight test and IR on a retractable constant speed SE piston
7. Pick up validation which is only valid for the duration of your original licence.

I got a better offer somewhere else in africa so only did the computer test but not the flight test.

hope this helps

vanraider