PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the origin?

Nearly Retired
31st Jul 2006, 18:35
" Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect".

This quotation has been used, misused and mis-attributed for years. Does anyone know the true origin? I suspect that it comes from the US Army, circa WW1, but have not been able to prove it. Thanks.

MReyn24050
31st Jul 2006, 18:49
From Great Aviation quotes:-
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
— Captain A. G. Lamplugh, British Aviation Insurance Group, London. Circa early 1930's. This famous phrase has been reproduced on posters and plaques many times, with the attribution of 'anonymous'. I was told at a book signing that André Priester (one of the first Pan Am employee's) may have said it, and decided to check this with R. E. G. Davis who is curator of air transport history at the Smithsonian and author of a book on Pan Am. Ron called me back and told me the phrase pre-dates Priester, but that his research shows the originator of the phrase was Captain Lamplugh, who was quite well known in British aviation circles after W.W.I.

JW411
31st Jul 2006, 19:50
Hows about this one:

"'Tis always better to go through the far hedge slow than the near hedge fast"!

MReyn24050
31st Jul 2006, 20:31
The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age. Even those masters and princes of aerial fighting, the survivors of fifty mortal duels in the high air who have come scatheless through the War and all its perils, have returned again and again to their love and perished too often in some ordinary commonplace flight undertaken for pure amusement.

— Sir Winston Churchill, 'Thoughts and Adventures,' 1932.

A2QFI
2nd Aug 2006, 07:41
Thanks for that quote. What a beatifully constructed piece! I am not clever enough to know if scatheless is in the dictionary but it should be - a lovely word and sounds so much better than the more conventional unscathed.

POHL
2nd Aug 2006, 09:13
From the sublime...

Overheard during a pilot conversion briefing:

"The most important thing to remember when climbing the Argosy
is not to lose any height" !

also

" There's no lift in the air today,boy. Call me again tomorow"
attrib. Captain Boxkite Montgolfier H.......y.

teeteringhead
3rd Aug 2006, 09:11
Scatheless....from the OED:Without scathe; unharmed. Const. of.

c1200 ORMIN 12038 iff att he lupe dun All skaelæs till eore. c1350 Will. Palerne 1855 To a-schape schales fram at schamful best. a1366 CHAUCER Rom. Rose 1550 That scathles, fulle sykerly, I myght unto the welle goo. a1400-50 [see SCATHEL]. 1563 Reg. Privy Council Scot. I. 241 To keip him skaithless of the samyn [penalty]. 1818 SCOTT Hrt. Midl. xv, ‘I wad ware the best blood in my body to keep her skaithless,’ said Jeanie. 1865 TROLLOPE Belton Est. xxviii. 341 It is a game from which you will come out scatheless, but I have been scalded. 1884 Law Times LXXVIII. 57/1 The wife and the fortunate individual who shared her indictment escaped scatheless.

Nearly Retired
13th Aug 2006, 13:16
[QUOTE=MReyn24050]From Great Aviation quotes:-
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous, etc. Many thanks to From Great Aviation quotes:-
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
— Captain A. G. Lamplugh, British Aviation Insurance Group, London. etc.

Many thanks to MReyn24050 for that information. Nearly Retired

Sir George Cayley
13th Aug 2006, 19:06
"The air is a navigable ocean which laps at every man's door"

Me;)

Sir George Cayley

SASless
13th Aug 2006, 20:10
One cannot consider himself an aviator until he knows Gann.:=

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.'

MReyn24050
13th Aug 2006, 20:50
Nearly Retired
Many thanks to MReyn24050 for that information. Nearly Retired
You are more than welcome
Mel