PDA

View Full Version : Illness and Class 2 Medical

vancouv
31st Jul 2006, 16:08
I'm being treated for a fairly serious illness at the moment, and I want to find out how it will affect my Class 2 Medical - I'm not intending to fly at the moment, but it will be due for renewal in November.

How should I go about this? Do I discuss the matter with the AME who normally does my medical, or do I need to talk to the CAA direct to find out what the implications are? It's not clear to me who decides you can/cannot have a medical in this situation.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Lucifer
31st Jul 2006, 17:09
Call the CAA Medical Division - they are extremely helpful.

You have to inform them when something happens, so they can satisfy themselves that you are fit to fly again in the future.

Don't bother the AME now - you may not even require speaking to him to get it back in future - I am sure you are seeing enough doctors as it is at the moment.

2close
1st Aug 2006, 15:33
You may wish to sort it out sooner as the last thing you want hanging over your head whilst you're being treated is any uncertainty as to what will happen to your medical.

You are required to inform the CAA in any case, so let them know - they will in all probability suspend your medical and ask you to come back to them on completion of treatment, and also ask for some advice on your particular condition in relation to flying.

At least it's then out of the way and you can concentrate on your recovery.

Good luck and I hope you get well soon.

Best Regards,

2close

cavortingcheetah
1st Aug 2006, 15:41
:hmm:

The Aero Medical section at CAA/LGW is extremely helpful and is really dedicated towards keeping you flying.
One of the problems with rather more serious ailments is medication. Whilst an ailment, such as a prostate problem for example, may not ground you, certain medications for the problem will. There are usually alternative treatments totally acceptable to CAA/Aeromed. I would throw myself on the mercy of the white coated boys at LGW. I am sure that you will be pleasantly surprised at how considerate they are.
Best of luck anyway.:)

pulse1
1st Aug 2006, 16:04
I informed the CAA that I had a serious medical condition early last year. They immediately sent me a list of questions for my consultant to answer. After that, the tone of their letters was slightly negative suggesting that it would be a long time before I could fly again. However, once they received my consultant's report they reinstated my medical immediately. The whole process took about four months.

WindSheer
4th Aug 2006, 16:32
Just out of interest, do you have to supply your medical history when going for your initial medical. Or is everything judged by the inspections made on the day??

Cheers all....:ok:

pulse1
4th Aug 2006, 16:56
WindSheer,

You have to complete a form which covers pretty well everything you may have suffered from except for the common cold.

Phororhacos
4th Aug 2006, 17:32
WindSheer,
this form...

http://www.andytobias.co.uk/med160.pdf

and the instructions...

http://www.andytobias.co.uk/med160instructions.pdf

WindSheer
5th Aug 2006, 10:06
Excellent..Thank you...:ok: