PDA

View Full Version : Taking very young children to airshows

eal401
31st Jul 2006, 11:59
When I mean young, I mean it!

Essentially, I am due to go to an event in September which will include air displays by various aircraft, including Typhoon. I'm planning to go with my missus and my parents who are travelling up from the south for the day. It is not purely an airshow, hence the crux of the question.

To cut to the chase, can anyone advise on suitable ear protection for a five month old baby? I know that one is to take her inside/not take her etc. but I would like to explore all possible options as these would result in us all missing parts of the air display, due to how the event is arranged. Although this would literally be just for a few minutes, I'd like to avoid missing anything if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

EGCN
31st Jul 2006, 15:15
I went to Waddington air show and most of the babies/toddlers i saw there were wearing ear protectors,but they did not really help because they were still screaming when the loud stuff did low fly by's.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Jul 2006, 15:33
How about not going? Seriously, I mean that because you sound as if the air show if of more importance than th child. I have suffered a hearing loss since I was a teenager because in those days I wasn't told to wear ear defenders when shooting guns. I absolutely dread to think what the sound of re-heat at close quarters would do to a small child.

PLEASE consider the health of the child first and not the enjoyment of the adults. If you end up with a deaf kid will regret it..

PPRuNe Pop
31st Jul 2006, 15:50
eal401

Before you go off in a huff and say that "no help was offered" two people had given you some and it is clear to me that you didn't want to hear anything negative and thought you would be clever and ditch the help.

Let me tell you this from one who knows how serious this is to a young child's ears. I have not yet taken my 10 year old grandson to a noisy airshow - not for two or three years yet.

Flying noisy aeroplanes, and a fair bit of military gunfire of one kind or another over a period, have done more than 25% of damage to one my ears and more than 45% to the other.

The thing that keeps you believing that all is well is because hearing loss generally occurs in mid-life and beyond and can then go rapidly downhill. Toooooo late then! The damage is done.

Give your children a chance to enjoy a full life of hearing the right things. When they are old enough they choose - you don't.

Your choice but you CAN damage babies hearing with a Tornado or some such with re-heat on and it will frighten a very young child too.

I suggest you listen, and next time you want PPRuNers to help so do them the courtesy of at least listening to their efforts.

A2QFI
31st Jul 2006, 16:26
Hearing loss is a one way downhill journey - when it is gone it is gone! I wrecked my hearing with the scream of axial flow jet engines and shooting indoors without ear defenders (they hadn't been invented at the time!) I now wear £4K worth of hearing aids and I still struggle. Subconciously I must do a bit of lip reading plus I can make out the gist of a conversation if I can get half the words. Leading up to saying I wouldn't take a young child to an Air Show and "If there's any doubt there's no doubt", or whatever the phrase is. Don't go there! Watch from afar or even on TV!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Jul 2006, 16:29
Wise words Pop and A2QFI. I do truly hope he heeds them.

eal401
31st Jul 2006, 18:06
it is clear to me that you didn't want to hear anything negative
Then do something called "getting your facts straight."

I deleted the thread because shortly after posting it, I identified a solution with the assistance of the event organisers that ensures the little one will not be subjected to the noise.

I might have left it, but comments like "I mean that because you sound as if the air show if of more importance than the child." showed the direction the thread would have taken had I left it be. By the way HD, if that was true, do you think I'd have started this thread? :D

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Jul 2006, 19:03
<<By the way HD, if that was true, do you think I'd have started this thread?>>

It made me seriously wonder, my son, seriously wonder.......

PPRuNe Pop
31st Jul 2006, 20:19
I think you might have learned that you cannot be selfish when it comes to the health of child.

Sad to say that some people will be selfish and take their young ones with them, and to subject them to decibels FAR TOO HIGH for their sensitive ears.

eal401
1st Aug 2006, 12:11
I think you might have learned that you cannot be selfish when it comes to the health of child.

Well, I did wonder why I was spending so much time looking into various possibilities of ear protection, trying to establish the level of noise likely and various methods of reducing the exposure to that noise, what the damaging exposure times were etc. In addition, I did my best to source as much advice from other people as I could before making a final decision on whether or not to go. A decision that had not been made until yesterday afternoon.
For the record, the times of the loudest displays (a very small part of the event) my baby will now be either with me, my wife or one of my parents safely indoors where the noise will be at acceptable levels. This was something I was not aware would be possible (prior to posting here) and had it not been possible, it was certainly looking like cancellation was the way to go.
Sad to say that some people will be selfish and take their young ones with them, and to subject them to decibels FAR TOO HIGH for their sensitive ears.
I was never going to take her with no protection whatsover, only if suitable protection was available that would reduce the noise to a safe level for the time of exposure. I find it grossly and exceptionally offensive that PPRuNe Pop and Heathrow Director have quite clearly made this accusation.
It made me seriously wonder, my son, seriously wonder.......
Isn't it funny what an anonymous forum will give you the guts to say... :(

Kaptain Kremen
1st Aug 2006, 14:56
I took my 9 month old girl to Waddo and she had on childrens peltor ear defenders for the entire flying display. I am confident that she was fine with these on, she slept through the Typhoon and didn't bat an eyelid at some of the noisy jets.
What I would say is, if you do decide to take a little one with you, obviously defenders are a must, but make sure they fit YOUR child properly and that they are used to wearing them before the big day. Its pointless taking them otherwise. If my girl had not been comfy in them I wouldn't have taken her, and if she refused on the day, then back in the car and home.
The points about looking after your childs hearing are spot on:D , but i think the ear defenders are an option.
KK

PPRuNe Pop
1st Aug 2006, 17:06
Let me get one thing clear.

I find it grossly and exceptionally offensive that PPRuNe Pop and Heathrow Director have quite clearly made this accusation.

I did NOT make an accusation against you, and I know HD well enough to know that he didn't either. I did however 'accuse' ANYONE who takes a young baby to an air display where it will be subjected to sound that is difficult enough for adults let alone a young baby. THEY do NOT have the ability to cover their ears - do they? For young children properly fitted ear defenders are required. Babies should NOT be there at all in my view.

You seem to think that you are being treated like an idiot. That is not true, but you should take on board what we in the flying world know about getting hard of hearing, or deaf, as a result of involvement in aviation - in all its forms.

Remember too that it was you who asked the question!

Flaps ten please
4th Aug 2006, 09:53
I took DIY style ear-defenders for my boys and got no complaints from them, there are some excellent airshows around that do not include any (or few) fast noisy jets such as Shuttleworth & Middle Wallop.

Kalium Chloride
4th Aug 2006, 10:26
Take your kid to the beach instead...

...or maybe not :hmm:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6PftWaLeEKA