PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances? (SAA Wannabee)

ryancoetzee
30th Jul 2006, 21:34
First and foremost i would just like to find out what are the chances of ever getting an interview with SAA? but i must add a few vital stats( Im white and im a male? or are they not so vital anymore? Its my dream to fly for my national airline and have heard loads of rumours so any chaps with first hand experience would enjoy some feedback!!! thanks in advance....

Shrike200
31st Jul 2006, 05:16
Slim..... :hmm:

That doesn't help, does it? :8 In reality, it's theoretically possible to get an interview and possibly get in when you have appropriately competitive experience to compete with your fellow white males, ie several thousand hours (3-5?) with time on jets (lots), the heavier the better, not be too old etc. Practically speaking, this is not an event you can plan your life around, and thus you'll probably end up doing something a little more realistic. I was exactly the same as you. There are alternatives to SAA though, perhaps with better working environments?

I don't have first hand experience of getting an interview, but I know several who have at least gotten interviewed (there are several interviews to complete), and a few more who did get in (that was some time ago now though).

ALPHA FLOOR
31st Jul 2006, 07:41
Come join the rest of us South Africans here at Cathay, where race is not an issue, only good flying skills and ability ------ (no attack being made at anyone at SAA so dont take offence):ok:

6-String
31st Jul 2006, 09:00
You obviously don't work for the same Cathay that I know! You didn't perhaps fail your SAA selection for slagging off a colleague (in the interview) at a previous company did you? Your posts give you away Mr. Have-a-Moan! :}

ryancoetzee: I don't know how it is these days but, give it your best shot because my experience (SAA and abroad) tells me that there aren't any airlines out there that are going to make you any happier.

ALPHA FLOOR
31st Jul 2006, 11:03
Hiya 6-string.......

Sorry mate never had the privalege of an SAA interview, infact I never flew or interviewed for any Airlines in RSA but would have loved the chance - but thanks I do appreciate that you couldnt resist having a jab at me - good one. :=

And yes I am "HAPPY" here at Cathay and now that I am here I wouldnt swop it for any other airline in the world. But its not a one size fits all - find your own happiness.

ryancoetzee follow your heart there is happiness out there whether its SAA BA EK CX QF SQ just do what you love and go get it! DONT WAIT FOREVER. :ok:

divinehover
31st Jul 2006, 15:31
I work for them and I can't even answer that question. Hang in there, we're hoping for some expansion in the future. Hopefully in the long haul freight side of things and normal long haul and reginal ops.

Q4NVS
31st Jul 2006, 16:09
No Guarantees - Never - By No 1.

But, the Solution:
Work hard at it and when it becomes a possibility you could get the Nod :D
(I know a few that did)

Hey, they did put Men on the Moon in the 1960's, didn't they..?

:ok:

CJ750
31st Jul 2006, 18:31
As a white South African male you do not stand a chance of getting into SAA as the current management would rather be politically correct than take experienced pilots. What about all the non-white foreigners that obtain south african citizenship under dubious circumstances , just so Mr Ngqula can say the airline has employed some more non-white pilots.

This may sound like sour grapes, maybe but it is hard to sit and watch a once respected airline go down the drain.

In the past it used to be WHO YOU KNEW and not WHAT YOU KNEW as to whether you got into the airline, :mad: THE BUDDY SYSTEM :mad:
but now even if you fail your Sim check on the interview , you get lots of training so you can pass , so the airline can say they employ the right people.

I have based my facts on feedback from SAA pilots and from what i hear the management give a different and very rosy picture of SAA but if you put your ear to the ground you pick up a totally different picture.

AGREE / DISAGREE

6-String
2nd Aug 2006, 19:13
It's got to be true, I read it in Huisgenoot. :yuk:

JG1
3rd Aug 2006, 05:42
The current Affirmative Action policies of the ANC government make themselves the laughing stock, in SAA as in SA sport....

...we don't care if we lose, as long as its us blacks doing the losing :\

davidjh
3rd Aug 2006, 16:44
Dear ryancoetzee

I too was once in your shoes i.e. wanted to fly for SAA and truthfully, still do! However, after passing psycho's, sim and interview, and then told that my chances were slim to zero (by one of the training captains who did my sim check - a honest gentleman), I packed my bags and headed for (hopefully) greener pastures. Therefore my advice is, if time is on your side, keep trying, but don't put your life on hold in the hope that one day you'll get that call.....it may never come.

All the best.

AntiAA
17th Aug 2006, 16:25
First and foremost i would just like to find out what are the chances of ever getting an interview with SAA? but i must add a few vital stats( Im white and im a male? or are they not so vital anymore? Its my dream to fly for my national airline and have heard loads of rumours so any chaps with first hand experience would enjoy some feedback!!! thanks in advance....
Sorry mate, that airline has turned so black, they will rather sink an airline and a country, than employ the right people (if they're WHITE).

tournesol
17th Aug 2006, 18:33
Come join the rest of us South Africans here at Cathay, where race is not an issue, only good flying skills and ability ------ :[/QUOTE]

Tell me another joke :D :D :D

Shrike200
18th Aug 2006, 10:38
Come join the rest of us South Africans here at Cathay, where race is not an issue, only good flying skills and ability ------ :

Tell me another joke :D :D :D

I'm not sure I understand your point here. Did they:
a) turn your application down
b) tell you to your face "You're not getting the job because you're [whatever] race"
Clear it up for me....

tournesol
18th Aug 2006, 16:39
Shrike 200,
i am not sure what the situation is now, but in the past applications from all races but one, including the chineese would somehow go unanswered, or the ones who made it to the interview, would be told the vaccancies have been filled.
i personally know of a case of a chap who had the right name and appeared on picture to be the right color. when he showed up in hong kong, they discovered his distant shade and he was not even given the chance for an interview.
i hope i have answered your question.
that was the reality then, i hope they have changed with the situation in hong kong.
cheers.

superserong
19th Aug 2006, 18:18
Oh Dear!

Here we go again...