PDA

View Full Version : Another memory card question - GPS devices

ShyTorque
30th Jul 2006, 10:34
I have a GPS device (TomTom500) which uses an SD card to store the road mapping system etc.

Is it worth fitting a larger capacity SD card? I wondered this some time ago when I previously had to unload some voices in order to load a speed camera database.

SD memory is so cheap just now, so it seems an ideal time to do it. I don't actually know the present capacity of the card as it isn't labelled. There is no info in the manual or on the maker's website

Thanks in advance for any info.

planecrazy.eu
30th Jul 2006, 22:11
Hey, the 500 is an older model so i cant remember all that well but i think its a 256 Card. A 1Gig would cost around £20 online and more like £30-40 in the stores. The 700 has a 1GB drive, and thats holds all of Europe and two of each voice for each language it supports as well as UK Speed Cameras. So i would say a gig is enough. I cant remember though if the Maps of Europe that are pre-loaded on the 1GIG 700 are complete or just major roads.

IO540
30th Jul 2006, 22:43
The answer depends on the maps of course.

With TomTom5, I can get all of Europe on one 2GB SD card, which is quite nice - even if I never use it outside the UK.

Conan the Librarian
30th Jul 2006, 23:11
Isn't there an option to save routes, etc? If in need of a bigger card, go to the other thread on memory cards if you want to save quite a few bob.

Conan

ShyTorque
30th Jul 2006, 23:34
Thanks for the replies.

I do have contacts for buying memory cards, it was just a matter of whether it was worth doing in my particular case. Sounds like it is.

The TomTom500 does save recent routes automatically.