PDA

View Full Version : OASC....Sorry lads

Durka_Durka
30th Jul 2006, 10:29
Hey everyone,

I know these sort of posts always come up but you have always been very helpful in the past so here goes.

I have just read that one of the questions likely to be asked at OASC interview is 'what is the low point of your life so far?'...now it seems to me like a potential minefield, any answer can be seen in a poor light ie. when my father left for example, this i suppose could lead to questions as to mental toughness, harbouring resentment, and how i would cope in losing a crewmate etc. Im probably thinking too much into it but just want to be fully prepared

I was just wondering the answers anyone else gave and any advice as i myself am not even sure what they are looking for with this question. Obviosly i am looking to tell the truth but dont want to dig a hole for myself.

Thanks very much guys and gals

DD

Pontius Navigator
30th Jul 2006, 10:40
If you know it is coming that question is easy.

YOU are in control of the answer and how you will develop the answer. Who said that it is to be the absolute truth and the absolute low point.

"The absolute low point is my life was .... " Repeat the question this gives you thinking time

"when I had to chose between geography and latin at school"

[Why]

"Because I wanted to study geography which would help for a future career as a . . .

but dropping latin would exclude me from entering Cambridge . . ."

You have taken charge of the question and can control the way the interview proceeds.

fabs
30th Jul 2006, 10:42
Answer all the questions truthfuly, they can sniff out bulls**t at a hundred paces.
During my interview I was asked that very question, my honest answer (at the time) was that nothing particularly devestating had happened to me so far and I couldn't really put my finger on any one time. The interviewer just called me a lucky man and moved on.

Durka_Durka
30th Jul 2006, 10:52
Cheers fellas, appreciate the replies. I can imagine how it would take people by shock if they didnt expect the question.

Thanks again :ok:

DD

PS: Cant believe i spelt obviously wrong haha

Green Flash
30th Jul 2006, 13:40
Durk

When it comes to the questions, you will expect, and get, the frontal assualt, which you should see coming and handle accordingly. You might not see the sniper in the long grass with a potential snotter of a question but knowing that he/she is out there is half the battle! As has been said above, be honest and give it your best. Good luck.

Pontius Navigator
1st Aug 2006, 17:18
I understand the low point question has been dropped as it put a downer on the interviewer. Now the question is likely to be a high point or best achievement question.

Same rules.

Be prepared and give a convincing answer; the nearer the truth the better.