PDA

View Full Version : Are some people totally thick?

Widger
30th Jul 2006, 09:19
Mrs Widger and I sat totally open mouthed at the News last night.

First article, 2 Paedophile Rapists escaped from an open prison.........What were they doing in an open prison???

Second article, about a Canadian who enticed young girls to strip on their webcams. Interview with a 9 year old who uses chat-room and has a webcam....sorry how old again? 9! using chatrooms! With a webcam!

Is it just me or are some people/parents totally thick?

green granite
30th Jul 2006, 09:32
Obviously they are :(

I can only assume that people who allow their kids to do that are either thick or naive, and have never explained to their little darlings the ugly facts of Paedophilia etc.

Howard Hughes
30th Jul 2006, 09:33
Yep!!

Disclaimer: added to reach required post length!!

C130 Techie
30th Jul 2006, 09:43
No doubt too busy with their own self centred 'busy' lives and thinking that someone else is resposnible for their childrens education/safety.

Sadly all too commonplace in todays 'me, me, me' society.

maggioneato
30th Jul 2006, 10:01
Indeed there are some thick parents out there, poor kids don't stand a chance, suppose the internet keeps them quiet and out of their parents way so they can watch all the trashy reality shows on TV in peace. Imagine what the next generation will be like. :sad:

2 sheds
30th Jul 2006, 10:12
Not to mention, of course, give the little darlings a mobile phone each and they will be "safe", i.e. complete abdication of parental responsibility. This nonsense, I see, is also being promoted by the odd mobile phone network to sell tracking equipment.

Unwell_Raptor
30th Jul 2006, 10:33
Don't get too excited about the open prison business. All prisoners on long sentences are, once assessed suitable, gradually moved into lower category, then open prisons. The idea is to ease them back into the outside world.

Of course these assessments are never perfect and the odd one goes wrong. The Parole Board is supposed to be satisfied that they present no danger before release. Unfortunately, like practically everything else the Home Office touches, this has not been working properly in the last few years.

I have visited one of the open prisons where Jeffrey Archer was a resident ("a total shit" the Governor called hin) and most of their inmates work outside the prison, to get them back into the world of work. That has to be a good thing.

tilewood
30th Jul 2006, 11:06
are some people/parents totally thick?

YES!! YES!!

Just look at the average Darren and Tracey in any High St, see their kids running amok, whilst the parents scoff MacDonalds and try and smoke at
the same time!

There is a culture of complete stupidy and lack of responsibility in this country. Nobody cares, and if something wrong happens it is always
somebody elses fault!!

There, I feel better now. "Nurse I need my medication!" :p

green granite
30th Jul 2006, 11:53
Of course these assessments are never perfect and the odd one goes wrong. The Parole Board is supposed to be satisfied that they present no danger before release. Unfortunately, like practically everything else the Home Office touches, this has not been working properly in the last few years.

Surely the only way to ensure that its safe to release a sex offender is to castrate him first. :ok::E

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
30th Jul 2006, 12:38
UR, you should know better than to add a thoughtful and balanced post to a stream of JetBlast ranting.

Yes, some people make bad parents.

No, I wouldn't let my children troll unsupervised across the internet

Yes, I do consider myself fairly internet/computer savvy

No, I don't actually have any children

:zzz:

allan907
30th Jul 2006, 13:35
One only has to watch a random episode of Jerry Springer or other programmes of that ilk to realise that there are a heck of a lot of very, very dangerous people out there. It's quite scary really that they belong to the same species as us.

tony draper
30th Jul 2006, 15:03
No they are not,they are Homochavicus,they began to appear in the ninteen eighties, prolly due to climate change helped by the police and judiciary turning into huggy fluff sissies, we should do to them what we did to the Neadertals ,before they do it to us.
:suspect: :rolleyes:

30th Jul 2006, 15:54
Are some people totally thick
Yes. They must be thick. Why else would they want to leave the "prison"
From the H.M prison website.
Accommodation: Six modern, purpose- built, detached living units each of 20 single rooms. Each inmate has own room key. Association areas are in buildings known as 'Ancilliary A' (adults) and 'Ancilliary B' (YOs). Wheelchair access to all areas. A new 40 bed unit recently installed to take 40 adults, 20 of which will be lifers.
Two of the units at Prescoed are substance abuse free (both adult units) where prisoners have signed a Voluntary Testing Compact, and where in-cell TV is available. Enhanced thinking skills delivered. Personal Officer Scheme, Sentence Planning and Drug Counselling are operated.

Krystal n chips
30th Jul 2006, 15:56
No they are not,they are Homochavicus,they began to appear in the ninteen eighties, prolly due to climate change helped by the police and judiciary turning into huggy fluff sissies, we should do to them what we did to the Neadertals ,before they do it to us.
:suspect: :rolleyes:

Maybe you spoke too soon Mr Draper sir ! ;)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2291301,00.html

On the other hand, I would venture to suggest the DNA was never expunged as evidenced throughout the UK on a daily basis --other than when they migrate iaw with Lon More's succinct and accurate summary of course ! :ok: :E

AcroChik
30th Jul 2006, 17:27
I'm pretty sure we all agree that crimes commited against children are very bad and that predatory crimes (sexual, etc) crimes against children are especially hideous. You'll get no argument from me. I do understand the frustration you folks are expressing here. I do empathize.

It seems (I'm no expert so just repeating what I've heard forever), that child abusers are particularly reistant to change. In other words, they repeat their crimes over and over despite the threat of punishment.

President Bush has signed a law that is said to address this:

1. A nationwide DNA database of convicted child abusers will be maintained "forever."

2. A nationwide internet-accessable database of convicted child abusers with current addresses will be maintained. If you're on the list, failure to update your whereabouts is punishable by re-incarceration.

3. Certain convicted child abusers will have to wear global positioning devices.

There's more. Here's an article that gives an overview:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/27/politics/main1843910.shtml

What do you think? Is all this a good idea? Will it actually help? Would you want to see this in the UK or wherever you happen to live?

Remember, when sentencing a criminal a judge can only follow and impose the penalties already defined in law, not invent it.

Lon More
30th Jul 2006, 18:44
Castration, preferably with a blunt bread-knife, before being considered for parole.
Compulsory removal to a designated area on release - Rockall, or somewhere about 25nm W of the Scilly Isles, would be OK.
There was a programme on TV some time ago where a convicted criminal stated that the knowledge on how to blag their way through parole board interviews was freely circulated among those eligible for parole

UK's not the only place where things are crazy.Last week a Dutch lawyer successfully appealed for a 25% reduction on the sentence awarded to his client as being locked up in the present temperature would be unfair punishment. Now the weather's cooled down will the sentence be re-instated. Or maybe he could come back in the winter ...

Edited to correct Geography - thanks Farmer

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
30th Jul 2006, 20:44
What do you think?
What do I think? well it would be hard to disagree that it's a particularly bad crime, and I believe statistics would show that the recidivism rate is extremely high, but I have at least two reservations.

The first is one that affect the entire judicial system...what if you were actually innocent and were caught up in a prosecution of this nature. Don't laugh, don't be dismissive, it happens. I think it was the Little Rascals case that eventually blew wide open, but not after a lot of damage had been done to some apparently innocent people. I'll have to read up again on that one, but yes. It can happen, and to you too.

As a addendum to that first point, you would have to be stupid to get involved with children in any way. Teacher, scoutmaster, after school tutor, dentist, or if you just found one wandering aimlessly aroung the parking lot of a shoppinig mall, or next to a busy street. Move on, do NOT become involved. In fact I stopped once to ask some kid the way and he ran off screaming because his worst fears were revealing themselves to him. Everything he had been taught, everything he had seen on television and at the movies was coming true. He was about to be abducted.
No he wasn't, I wanted directions. What should I have told the police if the steamroller you suggest started to crush me?

The second point is that laws like this will make 'witches' of the perpetrators. They will become the evil of society to be expunged and nothing else will really matter. We already have this with compulsory registration laws and custodial sentences for shild molesters. When the address is revealed, the citizenry gather outside with their burning torches and pitchforks. Of course, none of them commit any crimes do they? it's just the sex offender and they can do whatever they want. Burn his house if they want because he is bad...and they are not. No wifebeaters, no embezzlers, no bankruptees, no internet fradusters.

Same with prison "Oh send them to prison to see how they like being raped" Why are bank robbers better? old lady beaters? corporate swindlers?

Its flaw is that it gives us all something to hide behind.

Farmer 1
31st Jul 2006, 07:05
Compulsory removal to a designated area on release - Rockall, or somewhere about 25nm E of the Scilly Isles, would be OK.Penzance, you mean?

Blacksheep
1st Aug 2006, 03:34
All prisoners on long sentences are, once assessed suitable, gradually moved into lower category, then open prisons. The idea is to ease them back into the outside world... ...That has to be a good thing.I'm not at all sure that it can ever be safe to release a paedophile rapist. :ugh:

For offences that once carried the death penalty and especially those involving violence against women and children, "life imprisonment" should mean exactly that.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
1st Aug 2006, 12:20
Like stealing a loaf of bread?

...or was that just transportation?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
1st Aug 2006, 12:41
and that's the world your average JetBlaster wants to bring back

:ugh:

green granite
1st Aug 2006, 12:47
and that's the world your average JetBlaster wants to bring back

:ugh:

You're only against it cos you don't want us to send our convicts to the States :rolleyes:

tony draper
1st Aug 2006, 13:22
Yer community service in the Virgini colonies were no joke, they didn't get no plastic tag round the ankle either, proper good honest wrought iron ones they got in those days.
:rolleyes: