PDA

View Full Version : Internal Laptop Speaker Improvements.

BLUE SKY THINKER
29th Jul 2006, 20:41
Whilst there have been some recent improvements, we all know the standard of sound generally from laptop speakers is pretty grim. ...Can anyone offer any suggestions for improvements without resorting to external speakers?

Logic would seem to dictate only several potential areas (?):

1. My present (and only) sound playback default device is: 'Crystal WDM Audio' (driver version 6.13.10.6111 - from Applied Drivers Corporation - dated 25/08/03). ...Is it possible to download something 'better'? ...Haven't managed to find any more suitable version; is something completely different a possibility?

2. USB or PCMCIA sound cards (the former would be preferable, as the latter's slot is in fairly constant, but not exclusive use). ...Any recommendations? ...I know you can then plug all sorts of external things into these as well, but as before, will they do anything for the internal speakers?

Obviously I realise any sound improvement is up against the limited quality of the actual speakers themselves, but feel there is some scope here.

Any tips much appreciated.

Conan the Librarian
29th Jul 2006, 21:36
Most laptop speakers are compromised by two things. Physical size and with most machines, the cheapest components. If you are up against those two, then any improvement is going to be miniscule, I think.

External is the way to go if at home. either connect to your home stereo, or through a wireless router, for superb quality with minimum fiddle factor. For mobile use, I would suggest a bluetooth stereo headset, (if the laptop supports same - if not, a mobile bluetooth dongle does the job) which also works a treat.

Conan

P.Pilcher
29th Jul 2006, 23:29
I've just had this problem of late as I was working away from my usual workstation so I listened to Classic FM with my laptop from my radio LAN. System worked fairly well, but I got fed up with the tiny speakers. Solution: go down to your local HiFi shop and buy the best pair of HiFi headphones you can afford. Mine are a collapsible set manufactured by Bose: They are quite small and when I first bought them about 8 years ago I was told that they were quite an old design - but did they work!! It was then my way of getting top quality sound from a dirt cheap personal CD player and these days does the same with my MP3 player. Cost me £50 then but I've seen the same design recently - still being made and I should think they will be a lot cheaper now.

P.P.

Tinstaafl
30th Jul 2006, 14:56
Some laptops have quite decent sound. Mine for example... :O

It has harmon/kardon speakers + subwoofer. It's a Toshiba Satellite 5105-S901. One of a range in the 51xx series. Superceded by the 52xx series which was quite similar. Not available anymore but I'm sure there are equivalents.

BLUE SKY THINKER
3rd Aug 2006, 18:19
I thought this might get sidetracked by the external options; it's not that I'm not convinced, just that I have a specific reason for addressing the internal situation. ...To that end, has anyone had any experience of the Miglia HarmonyExpress (http://www.miglia.com/products/audio/harmonyexpress/index.html); more specifically the effect - or otherwise - on the internal speakers?

(I appreciate its 'external' attributes)

http://www.miglia.com/products/audio/harmonyexpress/pix/hexp_w300.jpg

Thanks.