PDA

View Full Version : Last Top of the pops

Rick Storm
29th Jul 2006, 19:03
Tomorrow 'pop pickers' the last one:{ the program has been a part of my life for years..Remember the Small Faces (Lazy Sunday)? The Who (Pinball wizard)? Stones (Brown sugar) and many more.

You might laugh but wait until the gat bash, I'm sure these old 'hits' will be played for the older (20+) pilots. God help us when Saturday Night Fever starts...????

He'll be ok after his Sunday dinner, takes a scouser to know a scouser. Danny I'm posh...Formby

Will Danny do a John Travolta??????????? Camara at the ready:p

Rick

G-CPTN
29th Jul 2006, 19:08
There was the Move.
What about Wizzard?
And ELO?

For oldies there was also a group called the Beatles and their 'rivals' The Strolling Rones. RIP Brian.

Status Quo . . .

pigboat
29th Jul 2006, 19:24
All the shows where the Beatles appeared have been lost. The BBC had a policy of scrapping the shows tapes after a specified time. The Beatles shows fell afoul of this policy.

The last show was taped on Wednesday, for broadcast tomorrow night.

Anybody care to guess what song the Stones perform? :E

Rick Storm
29th Jul 2006, 19:24
I concur, the list is endless but I draw the line with Bucks Fizz, you may 'bend my ear' on this Sir.

Rick

G-CPTN
29th Jul 2006, 19:48
Fcuks Bizz . . .
Say no more.

B Fraser
29th Jul 2006, 19:50
Anybody care to guess what song the Stones perform? :E

They were performing "Little Red Rooster" when I made my debut on this planet so it is only appropriate that they perform "Star Star" in it's original form :E

Can we have Slade and Mott The Hoople too please :D

Mercenary Pilot
29th Jul 2006, 20:01
Anyone know why their axing it? I thought it was a popular show? (No pun intended:p )

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
29th Jul 2006, 20:51
totp was without a doubt, the most unmitigatedly shite, boring, cringeworthy programme ever to grace English television. Definately worth 5 spews

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

It was evan worse (by a factor of ten) than Corronation Street, which only got 4 spews

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

(it's a logritmic scale btw)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
29th Jul 2006, 20:52
Anyone know why their axing it?Cos it's crap, the kind of crap that festers in a warm dark environment and is nourished by bits of rotting flesh.

Are you saying you actually watched it? :eek: Were you being punished?

colmac747
29th Jul 2006, 20:58

Jim'll fix it for you

AcroChik
29th Jul 2006, 21:05
Tomorrow 'pop pickers' the last one:{ the program has been a part of my life for years..Remember the Small Faces (Lazy Sunday)? The Who (Pinball wizard)? Stones (Brown sugar) and many more.

My dad was a Who maniac. Used to play Live at Leeds at the appropriate (ear shattering) volume. Drove my mom nuts. One day I figured out what the lyrics to Pictures of Lilly meant.

John Travolta???????????

Mentioning John Travolta on an aviation forum is always good for a chuckle. What a dashing figure of a man...

http://aux.isifa.com/preview/splash_24a26062002_travolta_boeing.htm

Mercenary Pilot
29th Jul 2006, 21:06
Are you saying you actually watched it?
Nah, I’m not into manufactured, cheesy, "sex being sold to prepubescent kids" style pop that classifies as chart music these days. Not my cuppa at all but each to their own I guess.

Cos it's crap, the kind of crap that festers in a warm dark environment and is nourished by bits of rotting flesh
Surely in this day and age that means it should get a prime time slot ;) ...Im glad its going but it will only be replaced by some celebrity reality TV type lame-fest. I'm just wondered what was the "official" reason for the can?

Buster Cherry
29th Jul 2006, 21:09
totp was without a doubt, the most unmitigatedly shite, boring, cringeworthy programme ever to grace English television. Definately worth 5 spews

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

It was evan worse (by a factor of ten) than Corronation Street, which only got 4 spews

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Agreed....Total shite. Bring back Whistle test.

frostbite
29th Jul 2006, 21:45
If you're a fan of Pans People, there's a programme on BBC2 at 2310 tomorrow (Sun) which should make you happy.

scruggs
29th Jul 2006, 21:47
No big loss.

Just keep playing re-runs of the Old Grey Whistle Test :ok:

Buster Cherry
30th Jul 2006, 06:23
Whistle test. (http://www.youtube.com/results?search=whistle+test&search_type=search_videos)

Erwin Schroedinger
30th Jul 2006, 08:56
Anyone know why their axing it?
Presumably cos "music" these days is unlistenableto.

Howard Hughes
30th Jul 2006, 09:14
Anyone know why their axing it? I thought it was a popular show? (No pun intended:p )So they can start showing more 'reality shows', tis the way TV seems to be going!!

tony draper
30th Jul 2006, 09:39
Bah! dammed new fangled television show in colour,some of us remember the Six Five Special,Don Lang and his Frantic Five,Tommy Steel Freddy Mills and his pies ,Nancy Whiskey and Chas MaCdivit, Lonney Donigan ect ect, they don't make em like that now.
:rolleyes:
Terry Dean,what ever happened to him? :E

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
30th Jul 2006, 12:43
I bet you remember them Elgar concerts on the prom too :E

dhurst
30th Jul 2006, 16:34
Shamefull to admit it but I went to that last ever top of the pops. It was a complete con as it was all archive footage and no live acts. All they wanted the audience for was to clap. The high light of the evening in London was that I got to have a chat with Tony Blackburn.

The Wizard if you watch it tonight at 7PM BBC2 you might see Andy.

Buster Cherry
30th Jul 2006, 17:27
Always has been a con in my opinion. Very rarely have acts performed live on TOTP. I feel for you (slightly) dhurst. Not so much for being subjected to watching pop videos after expecting your heros on stage (Spice Girls, maybe? ;) ) but to have the displeasure of listening to that idiot Tony Blackburn prattle on. Only good thing about that show was Alan "Fluff" Freeman.
I long for the days of Andy Kershaw on The Old Grey...

Arthur Fox-Ache
30th Jul 2006, 18:12
They're axing it because a thirty-minute weekly show cannot compete against many channels showing nothing but music, 24-7. MTV, TMF, Kerrang, the list goes on. It's the same reason that they're getting rid of Grandstand.

Arfur :ok:

Buster Cherry
30th Jul 2006, 18:44
Thank-you Mickey Dolenz & Sky sports....;)

Lon More
30th Jul 2006, 18:46
Wham, Michael Jackson (back before he became white) and that :mad: frog.

Should have been pulled of years ago