PDA

View Full Version : They f*ck you at the drive-through...

planeenglish
29th Jul 2006, 15:24
Who can remember that fantastic scene in the Lethal Weapon film?

Well folks, they don't just do it at the drive-through but also through internet grocery delivery...

My bread is always smashed, the prosciutto is always sliced as thick as the sole of my shoes (even though I specifically ask for it sliced thin) and now I just went to eat my tasty pineapple and it is brown and mushy inside. My daughters like little chocolate chip buns. Every time I order them there is a bottle of something heavy smack on top. Come on!!!! Aaaaarrrgh!

How can I explain to the three little pigs that the delivery guy couldn't figure in his head the weight of the laundry detergent is somewhat more than that of the brioche and so their soft little snacks are pancakes? One of them one time said "but that bottle is heavier; it squishes everything. Why don't they put it in another sack". Jeeez, a five-year old figured it out.

If I complain they give me the item free on the next delivery, but what am I to do now? I want the pineapple NOW, not with my next order.:mad: :mad:

Anybody else here use these services and get buggered like me or am I the only one?

signed,
fruitless in Milan

G-CPTN
29th Jul 2006, 15:30
One has heard that the quality of fresh fruit and veg as supplied from supermarket deliveries is 'not the best' but selected from stock taken off display. Never used the system myself, but I don't buy from market stall traders either. Our local greengrocer is excellent and he will not buy from the wholesale market if he thinks the quality (or price) isn't good enough.

colmac747
29th Jul 2006, 15:30
Come on!!!! Aaaaarrrgh!

I'm sure he'll be along soon:p

that the delivery guy couldn't figure in his head the weight of the laundry detergent is somewhat more than that of the brioche

Simple really. Bullet to his head...sorted:}

el @
29th Jul 2006, 15:43
Thick sliced prosciutto.
Crumpled chips for the hoping little planes.
Sea and Beaches miles and miles away in the full of summer.

Life is hard at times.
Be strong PE, someday your ship will come. Just try not to be at the airport that day.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
29th Jul 2006, 15:49
Come on!!!! Aaaaarrrgh!
what ? :*

planeenglish
29th Jul 2006, 15:57
One has heard that the quality of fresh fruit and veg as supplied from supermarket deliveries is 'not the best' but selected from stock taken off display. Never used the system myself, but I don't buy from market stall traders either. Our local greengrocer is excellent and he will not buy from the wholesale market if he thinks the quality (or price) isn't good enough.
Thanks [email protected] :) I feel better already.

Actually G-CPTN, I started using these internet deliveries because my sister, albeit in the States, said the produce was the best. They come from a warehouse, not the actual public access store, and therefore there was no damage from all the shoppers touching and squeezing said fruit. From what I have been told this is the case here. Typically the fruit is in somewhat reasonable condition, today's mishap, in my opinion is the person who puts the items in the bags. The pineapple's injuries seem like a bruise from having fallen or having been smacked by the large, heavy items that accompanied it. I am fortunate to have the good green grocer here close to home too but I was out all week and couldn't get to him in time. :(

Thanks,
fruity in milan

colmac747
29th Jul 2006, 15:59
How come Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh and I didn't get a thanks.:confused: :{

Raging in Rockall:p

Groundgripper
29th Jul 2006, 16:52
Actually G-CPTN, I started using these internet deliveries because my sister, albeit in the States, said the produce was the best. They come from a warehouse, not the actual public access store, and therefore there was no damage from all the shoppers touching and squeezing said fruit. From what I have been told this is the case here.
Ohhhhh noooooooooo..................well not at my local Tesco superstore they don't. It's a free-for-all with Tesco employees driving huge trollies collecting stuff for internet shopping rumbling round the store blocking everything up and getting in everyone's way especially round the fruit and veg section. Everything comes off the same shelves that the self-service punters use, so they are out there creating all sorts of chaos. Their trollies are also bigger, heavier and have sharper corners than the ones everyone else can use, so you see all the old dears diving for cover as fast as their zimmer frames can take them when they hove into view because they don't stop for anyone.
Personally I think that it's a ruse to drive shoppers out of the store to give the internet shopping wagons more room to move. They usually treat real shoppers like they are an inconvenience to them, anyway.
GG

Rossian
29th Jul 2006, 16:54
PE
Dear Lady, why not take the kiddywinks to the mercato communale, there's bound to be one near you. They get to learn about fresh produce, you get to pick what YOU want and you have a morning out. Stop by for a cappucino and a granita for the kids. Then home for lunch.
Worked for me (and it helps improve your italian) ergo win/win. You know it makes sense.
The Ancient Mariner

Lon More
29th Jul 2006, 17:02
Groundgripper I believe Tesco charges (6 a throw?) for the "service".
Should do it for free for the aged and young mums.
Just a 21st century version of the grocer's lad on a bike, but it was free when I used to do it.

el @
29th Jul 2006, 17:08
A little more seriously now. Any foreign person coming to Italy should understand that an accurate level of service in things like home delivery, is not part of our 'culture' anymore. In fact, one is lucky having this service that is NOT offerend in most of the grocery and supermarket, due to the way labour regulation and wages have evolved since the '60.
I think things can be slowly changing and I hope the new gov.t will try to accelerate such changes (like, hear hear, non-prescription drugs being sold outside of pharmacies), but that is far from sure. What is sure is that now because more people is travelling, they come back and are angry about how things are working (or not working here) and pushing for a change.
Well, I have to go to the market before if closes, this is not america, sigh.

Rollingthunder
29th Jul 2006, 17:17
Always liked the idea of mobile grocery lorries visiting neighbourhoods on a rotation basis. Less selection of course but very handy for the elderly, mothers with children at home etc.

G-CPTN
29th Jul 2006, 17:24
it was free when I used to do it.
I used to get tips when I delivered meat for the butcher. GENEROUS ones at Christmas TOO!
Always liked the idea of mobile grocery lorries visiting neighbourhoods on a rotation basis. Less selection of course but very handy for the elderly, mothers with children at home etc.
I understand that even the outlying farms don't get that service any more. There USED to be a baker's, a butcher's and a grocer's with fruit and veg visited all the hill farms and villages around here. Not any more! But companies like Argos (Home Delivery) DO still make the twenty-mile round trip off the beaten track I discovered! (This particular farm is at the END of road which ends up in the moors from where you can walk (or ride a horse or a quad-bike) a couple of miles to the 'nearest' town, which is twenty miles away by the shortest vehicular route.
A little more seriously now. Any foreign person coming to Italy should understand that an accurate level of service in things like home delivery, is not part of our 'culture' anymore. . . . due to the way labour regulation and wages have evolvedI understand that a similar revolution is occurring in France, where 'bistros' in Paris (for example) cannot attract staff for waiting tables.

Buster Cherry
29th Jul 2006, 17:27
Tried using Tesco around a year ago....discusting, unfresh items hand picked by a spotty 18 year old Chav from the almost out of date section....:yuk:

Changed to the Ocado man (Waitrose)...10/10 .
Products direct from the warehouse, no charge over 75 quid, 1 hour window for delivery. (never late ;) ) Spot on.

lexxity
29th Jul 2006, 17:35
I use tesco every month for my freezer fill up and other big/heavy stuff it is so much easier than loading me laddo into the car and trailing him around the supermarket and the having to take the baby too.:E
I do agree Ocado are fantastic, but they are a bit pricier too.

G-CPTN
29th Jul 2006, 17:53
Seeing the title of this thread reminds me of the story:-
Guy says to his mate "The new pizza place is giving free pizza and you get a fcuk as well."
"That's funny, I had to pay, and I didn't get a fcuk!"
"Well my sister always does . . . "

planeenglish
29th Jul 2006, 18:52
PE
Dear Lady, why not take the kiddywinks to the mercato communale, there's bound to be one near you. They get to learn about fresh produce, you get to pick what YOU want and you have a morning out. Stop by for a cappucino and a granita for the kids. Then home for lunch.
Worked for me (and it helps improve your italian) ergo win/win. You know it makes sense.
The Ancient Mariner
Hi Rossian. Well, the mercato communcale that is closest to where I live is too far for serious grocery shopping. I don't have a car (I choose not to drive and so have never converted my license), I get off work, get the girls from school and get home at 18.25, most mercati of this type close early or there are horrific lines to wait in. Also, I am not happy with the selection of products. The local grocery store has a wonderful selection and found out that they did internet delivery and have since used this service (for a nominal fee). I'm a working mom and so prefer not to spend my days off shopping. However, I do take the tre porcelline for a cappuccio e granita often. :ok: I do the shopping on line with the girls helping me click on the pomodoro!

[email protected] I heard Walmart was trying to buy esselunga....hmmmmm...has America really arrived?

And last but CERTAINLY not least, THANK YOU Aaaaaaaaaarggh and Colmac!!!!!!!!

Best to all,
PE

kms901
29th Jul 2006, 19:28
I guess I am lucky. The mobile vegetable store arrives about 50m from my house 10:30am every Sunday, and the nearest Supermercato is 300m away. I can't see Walmart working in Italy, they have just pulled out of Germany, and our nearest Macdonalds has closed down.

AcroChik
29th Jul 2006, 19:52
"Wild said there were no plans to pull out of Germany altogether. "Germany is the third-largest retail market in the world. As a global company, we cannot afford to ignore it," he said."

Full text of article about Walmart in Germany here: http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/news/20060619-reuters.html

Coincidentally, the lead article in this week's issue of Fortune is about Walmart's efforts to convert to a more "green" business model. This includes purchasing seafood and other things from businesses with "sustainable" production methods such as certain Alaskan fisheries. Between students, I'm half-way through this article. It's pretty good.

Disclosure: I've never spent a penny at Walmart.

In NYC, virtually any and every merchant selling anything delivers. Service standards are high because competition is fierce.

I use an internet-based grocer for the basics and sometimes for some fruits and vegetables when the work load is too great and I'm tied to the screen or books (I'm having one of those summers).

It's my observation that, generally, fruits and vegetables are of better quality here in NYC than those I've seen outside pricey boutique-type shops in the UK. On the other hand, I haven't been everywhere in the UK, so it might just be coincidence. Yet, we do have the spectrum of climate ~ three growing seasons per year if one takes into account Florida and California.

Anyway...

The internet merchant I use has no retail stores and a variety of delivery options. They're very reliable and the quality is high. I've never had a packing problem; things are carefully assembled and nothing's ever been damaged or not to my liking.

Meats and seafood I must see to buy, and the options here are so convenient and vast it would be insane not to see the cod filet before you hand over your cash. Certain vegetables and salad greens I don't buy at all because I have a direct pipe to a farm (lucky me!).

Strictly for informational purposes (no advertising!), here's the internet grocer's web site:

http://www.freshdirect.com/site_access/site_access.jsp?successPage=/index.jsp

>>> Added:To view the site try typing in 10022 as a sample NYC Zip Code.

sixmilehighclub
29th Jul 2006, 20:07
and our nearest Macdonalds has closed down.

Seriously? Thats as rare as seeing a baby pidgeon!! I didn't think Ronnies Gaffs ever closed down!?! :eek:

G-CPTN
29th Jul 2006, 20:10
Hi 6MHC! There was some conjecture that you had been 'dismissed' . . . IYKWIM :E

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236604

G-ZUZZ
29th Jul 2006, 20:22
Who can remember that fantastic scene in the Lethal Weapon film? Not me. Do you mind posting a quick rundown so we can all enjoy the thread or do you think it's not really necessary?

rotated
29th Jul 2006, 23:32
'Twas for just the opposite reason I signed on to the local co-op grocery service :cool: Mrs. R seems to be lacking that special gene that reasons the milk cannot go on top of the eggs; in addition seems to be incapable of shopping for more than half a day's worth of groceries, therefore we were losing all around. The co-op has better quality fare than the local grocers, and it comes nicely stacked in little folding crates, with dry ice to keep the cool stuff cool. Only been dissatisfied with a couple of items so far and have had a refund, no questions asked. :ok:

con-pilot
29th Jul 2006, 23:59
Disclosure: I've never spent a penny at Walmart.

What AcroChik, you've never needed any walls?:p

(God I crack myself up sometimes:} :} :p )

I know, I know, I'll go quietly now.:(

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
30th Jul 2006, 04:16
you should too :}

brockenspectre
30th Jul 2006, 15:21
Hi all - as some others have mentioned one has found the Ocado delivery service to be absolute perfection! Goods are packed in different coloured bags according to where they are to be stored .. delivery is always on time and occasionally (by prior cellphone arrangement) early... the fresh produce always has many days left before expiry. One has tried the services offered by other supermarket chains in the YooKay since one's ?parkinson's disease bo11ox kicked in and found that the others seem to deliberately pack "use by" "eat by" items that have max 24hrs left to go which is hopeless. One is someone who enjoys food shopping, being a bit of a foodie, but due to the aforementioned pd bo11ox the pain and stiffness in ones leg and arm muscles make any trip to a store into to a bit of a mission - that, plus tremors triggered by having to queue (which makes one look more tremory than a tremory thing) results in one doing one's best NOT to have to do same!!! :E

So a BIG :ok: to Waitrose and its Ocado delivery service!!!

planeenglish
31st Jul 2006, 07:38
Not me. Do you mind posting a quick rundown so we can all enjoy the thread or do you think it's not really necessary?
Never seen the movie, G-ZUZZ? Here's the scene,
Lethal Weapon 2

[after receiving the wrong order at the drive-thru]
Leo Getz: They F*CK YOU at the drive-thru, okay? They F*CK YOU at the drive-thru! They know you're gonna be miles away before you find out you got f*cked! They know you're not gonna turn around and go back, they don't care. So who gets f*cked? Ol' Leo Getz! Okay, sure! I don't give a f*ck! I'm not eating this tuna, okay?

Too funny this film, too funny...:D

lexxity
31st Jul 2006, 09:44
Acrochick that store looks amazing! Wish they delivered here.:rolleyes: