PDA

View Full Version : OOA Voltages

unclenelli
29th Jul 2006, 11:44
Any idea what voltage/pin alignments are in use at various overseas locations?

I know that Basrah is UK 3-pin 240v, and I've heard Kandahar use US 2-pin 110v.

What I'm after is Camp Bastion - near Kandahar (110v), but British built (230v?)

Any ideas????

Rangeblind
29th Jul 2006, 12:32
I have used this web site in the past, think it should have the answer you need.
http://kropla.com/electric.htm#plugs

Always_broken_in_wilts
29th Jul 2006, 12:41
As most electronic goods operate happily anywhere between 110 and 240 volts why not just buy a universal travel plug from Boots etc and that should answer all your problems:ok:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

TheInquisitor
29th Jul 2006, 16:08
All Brit det camps use our own kit - ie 3 pin 240v.

D-IFF_ident
29th Jul 2006, 19:54
And most US camps have 110V 2-pin outlets (maybe either round-pin euro style or flat pin US style - converters 99c at any BX). Beware of the transient tents in Al-Udeid - a fridge is provided for the 22-man bunk room; it's 160 - 250 Volts with a UK style plug and the outlets are 110 Volts, US style and no converter - bring your own adapter and there's enough power to put the light on, almost.

unclenelli
29th Jul 2006, 21:55
Thanks for the speedy replies
RangeBlind - I'm aware of the different sockets and I have all the adapters
Always Knackered - I've got some kit that only works on 230v. It's luxury kit that I can do without, but I don't want to use up valuable luggage weight only the lug it back to the UK unused

Was in Incirlik a few years back and saw 4 different voltages/pins in use - UK3pin 240v in tents, US 110v in tents/work, Euro 230v in tents, US 240v in work

k3k3
30th Jul 2006, 01:16
The stangest voltage I ever saw was 112v DC coming out of a wall socket in Gioia del Colle in 1985, it was a very run down old building but you would expect the amps to wiggle a bit just the same.

Green Flash
30th Jul 2006, 14:12
Not surprised at some dodgy voltages. Half of Gioia was funded by NATO and all of it built by the local ahem 'prefered' builder! The experience of a German engineer who stayed at the Svevo and worked at the Thermosud factory said it all; even his Germanic stoicism was severly tried by some of the local working practises. Still, after some local ned nicked one of our cars, was caught and had a short chat with Il Grandio Formagio of the hire car company there was no need to lock the wheels again!

animo et fide
30th Jul 2006, 20:04
unclenelli

the answer you are looking for is that if you are lucky enough to get accom with electricity then it is UK 3 pin 240 volts. I'd also take some kind of dust screen to protect your equipment too