PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Wireless

Golden Ticket
29th Jul 2006, 10:26
Spec ; Toshiba Laptop Equium L20, XP SP2 up to date, Linksys wag354g wireless router, plusnet broadband.

I'm having problems which seem to centre around the encryption on the above equipment. Seems to routinely stop wireless internet traffic unless I switch it to a complete open network,(not likely to do). The only way I can get everything to keep running is if I set the router settings to keep connection every 180 seconds. The thing is the linksys set up disc doesn't set it up like this initially. However the only way I can get the router to restart internet traffic is to plug the laptop in with a network cable, get it running again with this then reconnect with wireless. Problem recurs when I switch off the laptop.

This has only been happening since I did a restore to factory settings. I've run the network wizards, tried inputting everything manually, looking for other ideas please. Also everything seems to be running through an 'Internet Gateway- IGD 1.0 on WAG354G'

Sorry to waffle on, any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

p.s. I'll be away till monday, so don't think I'm ignoring everybody.

ORAC
29th Jul 2006, 10:42
One of the causes for this is that the laptop cannot renew its IP address before it times out with the encryption. Try allocating it a static address both internally and on the router and see if that solves the problem.

Golden Ticket
31st Jul 2006, 08:26
Thanks for the reply ORAC I'll give that a go and let you know.

Just to add now, all is back to normal, I found the part of the setup related to dynamic routing and it was set up not to use that. Reading one or two other things on t'internet it seems like a better idea to use static routing but now it's working again I'm going to do some reading up on that before I start fiddling.