PDA

View Full Version : ANA or JAL?

Aliyyah
28th Jul 2006, 19:06
Hi everyone,

I applied for both airlines, All Nippon Airways and Japan Airlines. Now I got from both an invitation to attend their interview in Frankfurt. What do you think, which airline is better? I mean who has better working conditions and so on?
Thanks for your help!

Aliyyah

Dreaming for VS
31st Jul 2006, 14:26
Hi! I am from HK.
I worked as a crew in a local airline, Cathay Pacific, which you may probably never hear before... hehehe^_^

FOr your question, I don't know ANA.
But, I know quite a lot about JAL, many Cathay crews are from JAL.

JAL is a national airline. They are more traditional.
For benefits, it's a bit stinky.
You'll have FOC every year, but as an ID pax, you will have no meal.
You'll have 10% tickets, but you have to fly for several miles to get it!
WHen Japanese crews got profit sharing twice a year, Chinese crews got only once a year... I am not sure whether they are more generous to German.

Seniority is an important issue. Chinese though different, as one of JAL crews, Chinese more or less, had to follow the rules.
Courtesy like, holding the lift for all seniors until everyone gets in the lift, you will say "DO ZO" "DO ZO"=please to show your courtesy.
INflight meal, let's seniors choose and eat first, even if you are as hungry as they are.
You will be asked you stay in the galley to set up all food cart for service, and you will help in every sections which are not yet finished. You will be busy as a junior, extra busy.
BUT... may be German, as non-Asian, are not supposed to follow. :D I wish you don't have to.

erm... am I sound so negative? I am, sorry! I wish, someone would tell me I am absolutely wrong.

Anyway, hope these information help you a bit.

Aliyyah
4th Aug 2006, 09:46
Thank you for your help, Dreaming for VS! Well I am not quite sure what to do. I went to the first interview with Japan Airlines and passed, in 2 weeks I have the final interview. If I get a job offer, then I think I will take it. And unfortunately ANA is only looking for Cabin Crew based in LHR. But I will still attend the interview with them, which will also be in 2 weeks. Maybe they are also looking for Cabin Crew based in FRA and I just don`t know about it.

Dreaming for VS
5th Aug 2006, 01:01
Are you from Frankfurt, then?
Something not related to your question.
When I was crew, Frankfurt flight was just too good to be true. Very easy going German passengers, drinking plain water all the time, though they felt unhappy when there were not enough cold cut for breakfast. I still remembered how I dreamily walked along the Rhine and Christmas market.

:ugh: Please tell me what is your experience of going for JAL and ANA interviews?

I wish you good luck all the way.

Aliyyah
5th Aug 2006, 07:36
Yes, I live close to Frankfurt.
The first interview with Japan Airlines was very relaxed. First you have a written test, where you have to answer 4 questions (Tell us something about you, your family and friends/Tell us something about your experience in service/Tell us something about your strong points and weaknesses/Tell us something about your hobbies and interests) After that you have the one on one interview. And there they ask you the typical questions like everywhere else. The JAL staff was very friendly! I am excited to see how it will be the next time. I will let you know how both interviews went.

bigbeerbelly
5th Aug 2006, 14:29
I would probably choose ANA if I were you. JAL has not been doing so hot financially the last few years. So chances of improved conditons will not be likely as cutting cost is the focus these days. ANA has a much younger fleet so work environment will be far superior. They have put in the largest order for the 787 which will revolutionize passenger comfort too. Also, ANA is known for their fantastic service! I think there is probably a good reason many JAL FAs are hopping over to Cathay.

Either company would be good though, if based in Frankfurt.
Are you German? Ich komme aus Nuernberg.

Tschuess,
BBB
:ok:

Aliyyah
5th Aug 2006, 15:21
Hi bigbeerbelly!
Yes, I am German. Nürnberg is a very nice city. I was already there a couple of times during layovers. We had our hotel right in the middle of the city. I like the Christmas market there and it`s great for shopping!
I think ANA has a more difficult recruitment process, because their interview lasts a whole day and they have group disscussions and much more what JAL doesn`t have. So it`s probably easier to get a job with JAL. But that`s just a guess, I will see how the interview will go.

bigbeerbelly
5th Aug 2006, 15:50
Good idea to try both and then decide.

Toi toi toi
BBB

Dreaming for VS
6th Aug 2006, 12:21
Aliyyah, which airline you used to working with?
I asked my Japanese friend, they told me ANA would be better, for the profit-sharing or work culture.

Bigbeerbelly, how come you know there are so many Japanese from JAL jump to my ex-company, Cathay Pacific?

Doesn't aviation an industry celebrate diversity?
There is a racist issue looming among crews. "How do you think about your country invading China and Korea?" Japanese were sometimes isolated, when sino-Japanese relation gets intense.
It's sad.! It's not the faults of young Japanese.

My japanese friend told me, their income in Cathay isn't enough to cover their life, while they are based in HKG, they always catch flight home, don't they? ID tickets aren't so cheap, living standard in HKG is high, and much higher in Japan. And flying around does not make them really get into local HKG life.

So, I have a strong sense to be a good friend for them.