PDA

View Full Version : IKEA rant

Gordon Fraser
28th Jul 2006, 17:48
I have just made a 40 mile round trip in subtropical heat to purchase two floor lamps from IKEA, Leeds. I hate shopping there but I thought I'd try them on other than the weekend. Parking was easy, crowds were managable and the hot dogs were excellent. As I remarked to my wife, "I'm really enjoying this trip today"
Then we got home and assembled the lamps - NO LIGHT BULBS !! - not just ordinary light bulbs but halogen bulbs, with a special fitting are required. Upon checking their web site, I see that some lamps are described with "halogen bulb included", some have "light sources are sold separately, and some have no remarks at all.
The exterior of the box shows that type and quantity of bulb used but one must not assume that they are included. We are all very used to reading "batteries not included" : is it beyond the wit of IKEA to show "lamps/bulbs are/are not included" on the outside box where appropriate?
Guess where we are going to go on safari on Monday?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
28th Jul 2006, 18:06
Call that a rant????

oh the youth of today :rolleyes:

colmac747
28th Jul 2006, 18:11

Kenya?

:}

Whirlygig
28th Jul 2006, 19:45
Why don't you telephone them, very politely express your disappointment at the unclear packaging and ask them to send you some in the post.

Cheers

Whirls

AcroChik
28th Jul 2006, 19:53
Or, if Whirl's excellent suggestion doesn't appeal, rather than drive 80 miles to visit a place as banal as Ikea, why not buy them in Paris and make a weekened of it?

green granite
28th Jul 2006, 19:54
Thats quite unusual as the check out staff normally try to sell one lots of things you don't want when you pay for things, in Agros the till actually tells the operator that batteries etc are not included so they can sell you those as well thereby increasing their bonus. :rolleyes:

Gordon Fraser
28th Jul 2006, 21:11
Whirls.
First thing we did was to try to phone but were unable to unearth phone number either thru directory enquiries or IKEA web site.. I don't think these multinationals encourage phone contacts. Thanks anyway for your advice.
Should be able to find some bulbs in either Kenya or Paris!!

EDDNHopper
28th Jul 2006, 21:27
Paris maybe, but no, you will most definitely not find them in Kenya.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
28th Jul 2006, 21:36
I bought some batteries from Ikea once and they weren't included so I had to buy them again.

ZH875
28th Jul 2006, 21:37
IKEA Leeds
Junction 27 Retail Park
Birstall
Batley
WF17 9AE

IKEA Customer Services:
0845 355 2261

All from http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/IkeaNearYouView?storeId=7&langId=-20&catalogId=10103&StoreName=leeds

G-CPTN
28th Jul 2006, 21:38
Try Nanking . . . or Stockholm of course . . .

Whirlygig
28th Jul 2006, 21:40
Ah ZH beat me to it! I also checked that it appears that phone number is unique to Leeds as other stores have different numbers.

Cheers

Whirls

G-CPTN
28th Jul 2006, 21:45
For a "no need to rush" shopping atmosphere use the off peak times, every week day evening. Monday - Friday: 9am - 10pm

BEWARE:- Restaurant closes at 9pm!

29th Jul 2006, 07:13
I noticed in the business section of the newspapers yesterday, that Tesco have been taken over by Ikea.

Now if you buy a chicken, the legs are guaranteed to fall off:)

EDDNHopper
29th Jul 2006, 10:27
Which is not IKEA´s fault, because it was you to assemble it in the first place... ;)

The Otter's Pocket
29th Jul 2006, 10:55
Well if you by crap you get crap.

The beds are designed only to take their sized matresses, then you can only buy their sheets and the quality is very poor.

Do what we did when I was a kid in Yorkshire...
We were so poor that all we had was bale of hay for to sleep on, some drift wood for chairs and a damp cloth for a cup...

ZH875
29th Jul 2006, 10:57
..a damp cloth..

You were lucky....:)

spekesoftly
29th Jul 2006, 11:12
Is another return trip to IKEA necessary? With the missing bulbs specification on the box, can you not source them locally? Most DIY stores and Supermarkets stock a range of halogen bulbs.

G-CPTN
29th Jul 2006, 11:19
Why not take along a sample of the missing bulb?

timmcat
29th Jul 2006, 15:49
Direct line to Ikea Leeds - 01924 423296.

scruggs
29th Jul 2006, 16:41
Worked for five years at IKEA Wednesbury. Worst five years of my life - and I only did 10 hours a week.

Customers suck!

G-CPTN
29th Jul 2006, 16:43
Customers suck!
Lucky YOU!

Groundgripper
29th Jul 2006, 17:03
I've visited one Ikea store once.

Leeds

Bank Holiday Monday

At my son's instigation.

Never again.

The nearest one is fifty miles away and I'm damned if I'm going to drive that far just to trudge all round a [email protected]@dy great hangar full of cheap DIY furniture looking for a ten quid table lamp or a bookcase with a stupid name that'll probably collapse with chipboard fatigue within a few years of purchase.

GG.

scruggs
29th Jul 2006, 17:06
Lucky YOU!

Not in that way matey, that was just 95% of the female staff! God bless IKEA for all the paid nights out!

AcroChik
29th Jul 2006, 20:15
I also visited an Ikea just once. It's located right at Port Newark where the container ships dock and directly across Interstate 95 from EWR. It has an airport-scale parking lot.

The way crowd control was maintained ~ and it was truly mobbed! ~ was to direct the suplicants in a one-way route that took one through the entire store, past every kitchen utensil and cabinet display, past every chair, past every bed ~ at least this is how it seemed to me ~ as if we were a flock of lambs on our way to the slaughter.

It was so densly crowded that I grew quite tense ~ me, someone who was born and raised in a high-density, high-velocity city ~ because to have reversed direction to get out against the tide of humanity was, quite literally, impossible. I spied the cafe. Left rudder!

Amazingly there was a corner table with a window seat looking directly across the highway to where CO flights were rotating. I went to the buffet for a plate of nearly acceptable food and some juice. The sun began to set and spread out across the sky I could see the approach trail.

After this calming interlude I steeled my nerves and escaped, vowing never to return.

G-CPTN
29th Jul 2006, 20:21
The way crowd control was maintained ~ and it was truly mobbed! ~ was to direct the suplicants in a one-way route that took one through the entire store, past evry kitchen utensil and cabinet display, past every chair, past every bed ~ at least this is how it seemed to me ~ as if we were a flock of lambsw on our way to the slaughter.

It was so densly crowded that I grew quite tense ~ me, someone who was born and raised in a high-density, high-velocity city ~ because to have reversed direction to get out against the tide of humanity was, quite literally, impossible. I spied the cafe. Left rudder!

After this calming interlude I steeled my nerves and escaped, vowing never to return.
That's the way they ALL are, but once you realise that it's a continuous maze, you only have to look for the 'staff-gaps' and you can back-track or short-circuit the system. If you want to ASK just say that you're desperate for the 'rest room' (or John, depending on your district) and you'll be informed of the escape path.

Agree that the Cafe is reasonable.

I once 'dropped-in' to look at wallpaper (which they don't do) so having asked at the information desk, I returned to my car, only to take over an hour (!) to get out of car park!

Son had a similar experience at another location.

Stories of regional road-closures when new stores have opened in the London area, with Police 'cancelling' the opening!
Don't you just LURV the human race?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
29th Jul 2006, 20:55
I returned to my car, only to take over an hour (!) to get out of car park!
I used to own a car like that

lexxity
30th Jul 2006, 08:55
For those of you who haven't already heard this rant.

In Ashton-U-Lyne they are building a new Ikea, it is to be located in the town centre, the car park is about the size of my living room and already used by a supermarket. The council have decided that this is the best place to put the new Ikea as it will boost the town centre. No it won't, it will increase traffic jams on an already busy road.

The maddest part out of this is the fact that just outside of town there is a huge brownfield site being regenerated under the name "Ashton Moss." This space has motorway links and enough parking space for 10,000 cars, which is usually neccesary for your average Ikea.

Will I be visiting it? Yep, where else can you get dinner plates for a pound? But I will be visiting at 9:30 at night.

Gordon Fraser
31st Jul 2006, 15:55
Mission accomplished!! Back to IKEA this morning at noon. Easy parking but found store had been evacuated due to some emergency, with a fire engine in attendance. Store had just reopened when we arrived and we went straight through exit and cash registers to lamp department – two sections from end of sales sections. In and out of IKEA in less than 15 minutes including parking, purchases and hot dogs. Possibly a world record?
Bulbs installed and lamp fully functional.
Ah well, back to my humdrum existance.

G-CPTN
31st Jul 2006, 16:21
Well, they DO advertise IKEA as an EXPERIENCE . . .

spekesoftly
31st Jul 2006, 16:23
Well I'm glad you were successful, but a 40 mile round trip for two halogen bulbs!! Still reckon you could have got them locally - Asda/Tesco etc? And probably cheaper.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
31st Jul 2006, 16:31
I'm glad this thread resurfaced because it was the catalyst for my visit to the local (ish) IKEA on Sunday.

Had some pretty good food, then took a tour of the display rooms. Got some great ideas for ways to refurnish the house, then bought a few bits and bobs. Went the wrong way deliberately for a while. Got exhausted, threw a tantrum and bought a shed load of stuff from the Bistro that contained Lingenberries.

The worst part of the visit was dealing with a Euro style shopping cart with four wheel steering :ugh: Why oh why do they build 'em like this, it just means that if you initiate a turn, you get to continue in a straight line with the shopping cart side on. Shopping carts should only have turning wheels at teh front :8 :*

Ali Barber
31st Jul 2006, 20:21
Only went once. Item I (the Mrs) wanted was just inside the entrance. Got fed up of crawling around maze towards the till, so dumped the items and kicked the fire exit open.

reynoldsno1
1st Aug 2006, 04:28
So, despite the horror, oh, the horror .....why do people still go shopping at Ikea :confused:

and why doesn't the post counter work anymore?

G-CPTN
1st Aug 2006, 04:29
For the EXPERIENCE . . .
http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2005/01/23/story1663.asp

jumbo-clingfilm
1st Aug 2006, 09:18
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4252421.stm

AV' IT!!!!

Curious Pax
1st Aug 2006, 12:43
I also visited an Ikea just once. It's located right at Port Newark where the container ships dock and directly across Interstate 95 from EWR. It has an airport-scale parking lot. .....

Amazingly there was a corner table with a window seat looking directly across the highway to where CO flights were rotating. I went to the buffet for a plate of nearly acceptable food and some juice. The sun began to set and spread out across the sky I could see the approach trail.

The car park there used to be popular with plane spotters, but I believe since 9/11 security throw them out on sight. Probably scared that they will start throwing flat-packs at aircraft!

Use IKEA in The Netherlands quite often as there is one 15 minutes away, which means that it is quite easy to nip there late evening and get what we want quickly. Having been there a few times we also know the shortcuts, so rarely do the full tour - yesterday I wanted a small bit of storage stuff, and just marched through the exit past the checkouts and got what I needed in the storage hangar behind that. In and out in 10 minutes!

SLFguy
1st Aug 2006, 13:04
This thread has been most enlightening...:hmm:

mullers
1st Aug 2006, 13:44
I bet you cant guess where the most visitted place in the north of england is.......yes it's Ikea!!!

G-CPTN
1st Aug 2006, 13:49
Daughter and her partner sometimes head for IKEA on Sunday mornings, as they do a low-price breakfast (presumably to attract early customers). Cheaper than they can buy the ingredients at home (and they can pick-up the Sunday papers at the same time). Being Scotland, there are no restrictions on opening times (on a Sunday).

Cheerio
1st Aug 2006, 13:51
Curious Pax,

You got in and out of the Den Haag Ikea in 10 mins? I'm impressed! Man, I have spent what felt like (and probably was) hours trudging zombie-like through that maze. I still have the scuffs on the toes of my shoes to prove it! Xotus next door is much nicer.

Curious Pax
1st Aug 2006, 14:37
The Delft one is where I go (same one?). They're in the middle of making it bigger, and have been for at least 12 months now!!

Cheerio
1st Aug 2006, 15:20
Thats the bugger......... But bigger? Dear God! All I wanted was a bar of Marabou chocolate...........

G-CPTN
1st Aug 2006, 16:58
Gateshead one has just developed into a double-decker.