PDA

View Full Version : Pablo's War?

ACW599
28th Jul 2006, 17:03
Watching the excellent GW1 DVD from Airborne Artist last week inspired me to re-read 'Pablo's War' (Squadron Leader Pablo Mason; Bloomsbury 1992). This book presents a very specific view of some of the events of GW1, and I'd be interested to know to what extent his views and experiences were generally shared by those who took part.

For the record, I'm not remotely interested in starting an argument or a flame war and neither am I any species of journalist. I ask from genuine curiosity.

SASless
28th Jul 2006, 17:29
Without stealing your thread...just wanting to add to the idea you are discussing.

The CMT music channel has been playing a music video titled "Eighth of November" which talks of a Vietnam Vet who served in the 173rd Airborne Regiment during Operation Hump in 1965. The fight on Hill 65 involved an NVA regiment of about 1200 men and one Battalion of paratroopers from the 503rd.

I got interested in learning more about it and after a bit of google rambling....I found a summary of the action by a company commander of one of the units involved. It was extremely interesting reading to say the least.

Towards the end of his narrative, he describes seeing a medic attending to the wounded, some of whom the medic had retrieved under hostile fire. That medic, Lawrence Joel, is from my hometown and won the Medal of Honor for his actions during the fight.

These first hand accounts written by the participants are excellent for seeing what combat is really like. It makes one appreciate their courage and honour no matter what war, campaign or nationality.

microlight AV8R
28th Jul 2006, 17:41
Tornado Down made excellent reading. A truly horrific account of what aircrew can expect if captured. Despite the horror, some truly excellent humour in the face of adversity. :ok: