PDA

View Full Version : A rather generous pay packet,........

lgw bean flicker
28th Jul 2006, 15:21
May I ask what your thoughts were on the "hypothetical situation", that your employer pays you £1k too much for the last months work,.........

Do you tell, or lay low and play the fool if they come a knockin',.......... just wondered

:oh:

kd2473
28th Jul 2006, 15:26
Legally - you've already realised they've paid you extra so you couldn't spend it and say you'd changed your circumstances in reliance on it ie you don't have a defence in law if they ask for it back and you've spent it. Ethically, you know it's not yours (hypothetically or otherwise!). Practically, I'm sure most people would just keep schtum, but be prepared not to have a leg to stand on if/when they cotton on and ask for it back! So if you want to throw it in an interest-bearing account so you know it's there as and when they ask for it (while you get to keep the interest, they can't ask for that back), go right ahead. If you fancy spending it ... hmm, you know what the answer is!

GusHoneybun
28th Jul 2006, 16:35
similar thing happened to me last year.
as much as i wanted to keep the dosh, i realised that these things will always get discovered sooner or later. so rather than have to explain why i had kept the money, i went to the accounts dept myself to inform them of their error. needless to say the girl in question was grateful for my honesty (saving her blushes when said error discovered) and since then i have not had one grumble or query about my expenses since.

swings and roundabouts.