PDA

View Full Version : Was that the canberra swansong?

falcon12
28th Jul 2006, 12:46
Just to advise that all 3 aircraft will be flown to Kemble Airfield on 31st July arriving anytime after 0930 BST. Anyone, especially ex Canberra crew and engineers, are welcome on the day to witness the arrival and meet the new owners and maintainers, who are Delta Jets

The initial plan is to keep the aircraft active on the ground by care and maintenance, ground runs and taxying, whilst assessing their future which could involve flying again.

falcon12

falcon12
28th Jul 2006, 12:58
Correction to the first thread. Delta jets are just the maintainers.

Falcon12

Jackonicko
29th Jul 2006, 11:22
So who are the new owners?

It has been suggested that two were bought by a scrapman, and that the third is destined for the USA, but not, as originally thought, for HAMM at Lakeport?

It strikes me that these three jets had each already achieved a great deal when No.39 stood down in 1982 (were any of them the Punta Arenas jets, I wonder?). Since then there have been operational dets in Africa, the Balkans, the Gulf and Afghanistan, and as they retire (the last examples of the type in RAF service) they mark the Canberra's 57th year, and the RAF Canberra's 55th. The individual airframes are each well into their 40s, and have been in service for half of the RAF's existence. They have outlasted many younger types, which entered operational service after they did, and retired before them, including the Bulldog, the Gnat, the Lightning, the Buccaneer and the Phantom.

To match this kind of record, the Mossie would have had to have still been in use in 1999, or the Camel until 1973. These airframes are history.

And yet no-one has seen fit to preserve them. Surely to god one should be in Hendon, one in Duxford, and one at Cosford or Norwich, or on the gate at Warton or at Shorts.

And if not all three, then surely one of them? It seems a bit like selling off the Victory....

Vifferpilot
29th Jul 2006, 14:59
Well, at Wyton we had the final flyby the other week (along with the rest of the RAF). Then yesterday, we had the final final flyby at the Families Day. And then, a little later, we had a dark blue one flyby - who owns that one? It definitely isn't RAF. :confused:

k3k3
29th Jul 2006, 15:15
www.atlanticdhg.com/AACF/canb.htm

XR362
29th Jul 2006, 16:54
And yet no-one has seen fit to preserve them. Surely to god one should be in Hendon, one in Duxford, and one at Cosford or Norwich, or on the gate at Warton or at Shorts.

And if not all three, then surely one of them? It seems a bit like selling off the Victory....

It's not for want of trying - The Ulster Aviation Society had a detailed and viable scheme to preserve one of the PR9s within their collection of locally relevant heritage aircraft, stored in a T2 hangar not far from Shorts. RAF were very supportive up to very senior levels, as were local politicians and the operators of both Belfast airports. Unfortunately the agencies tasked with the disposal were instructed to simply get as much money as possible, so lobbying about the merits of this plan and demonstrations of support etc were irrelevant. The government sees this as "maximising the return for the taxpayer". The fact that the taxpayer may also regard seeing important RAF aircraft permanently preserved in the UK as a "return" seems to go unnoticed. Even if the machines had sold for millions the idea that this would have made any noticeable difference to tax coffers is quite laughable.

Unfortunately UAS reserves were depleted after having relocated the entire collection last year and it wasn't possible to get an arrangement finalised with potential benefactors in time, so a pretty derisory bid was all that could be mustered. Nevertheless I'll be delighted if the new owners are able to get the machines flying and the UK public can still have a chance to see (and hear!) them in their natural element. This is probably better than just displaying them in a museum. What would be a crying shame would be to see them disappear abroad or end up "cockpitised" or worse.

Keep your eye on the Victory - I bet if the bean-counters thought it would fetch a few quid...

neilmac
29th Jul 2006, 17:35
Believe 3 of them are flying to Kemble Monday morning

NM

Conan the Librarian
29th Jul 2006, 21:26
Will be doing my best to get a few pictures and if they are up to scratch, will post them on Pprune ASAP.

Conan

falcon12
1st Aug 2006, 12:50
The two were purchased by someone who has, for years, purchased surplus equipment, mainly GSE, from the RAF. Scrapping 131 and 135 is not on the agenda.

134 has been put in a hangar for the time being. Owner is based outside the UK.

falcon12

A2QFI
1st Aug 2006, 12:53
As a past PR9 pilot I have some interest in where these fine aircraft are going. I am sure I have seen a connection with Switzerland mentioned somewhere. Perhaps this means Swiss ownership but based in UK?