PDA

View Full Version : ThomsonFly Pilots sounding foreign!

DTYSAPCO
28th Jul 2006, 09:36
I fly around the Doncaster area quite a bit and talking to doncaster radar. Why do all the thomsonfly pilots sound foreign??

I thought there was an abundance of pilots in this country i.e brits.

I only fly GA so unsure of the location of this thread.

EGBKFLYER
28th Jul 2006, 09:43
Perhaps because they are 'foreign'?

There is an abundance of 'Brit' pilots, though as I'm sure you realise, this doesn't preclude foreign nationals working in the UK, just as we Brits can go and work elsewhere too. Makes life more interesting, don't you think? :)

Leo45
28th Jul 2006, 12:11
ThomsonFly is actually a German company, perhaps, you should know that, before whingeing about foreigners...

EGBKFLYER
28th Jul 2006, 12:27
Leo - TUI AG is German, Thomsonfly is a British subsiduary of it.

It's not a 100% obvious to me that DTY is 'whingeing about foreigners' either - it may possibly be a question based on genuine curiosity...:)

doglegfinal
28th Jul 2006, 14:51
I know shome dutsh guysh are flying for Thompshon, sho be carfull, the dutsh are taking over your jobsh :rolleyes:

eightyknots
29th Jul 2006, 10:54
ThomsonFly is actually a German company, perhaps, you should know that, before whingeing about foreigners...

Completely wrong. Thomsonfly is one of the oldest established English airlines, formerly known as Euravia and latterly Britannia.....as I'm sure you know! Thomson Tour operations is owned by a german company but Thomsonfly have a British AOC and their head office is in Luton......which is in England last time I looked at a map.

The fact that they employ many foreign pilots is more to do with the fact that, for whatever reason, their home countries make them more able to afford the training.

And......yes.......you did touch a nerve there! :p :ok:

ryansf
29th Jul 2006, 14:19
For the month of July, Thomsonfly leased a Spanair MD83, complete with Spanish crew, so it could have been this aircraft you heard on the radio.

Cheers

Ryan

cieloitaliano
29th Jul 2006, 14:33
That would be a wet lease then as opposed to a dry one :)

chiglet
29th Jul 2006, 18:41
OOI, at Manch we have a lot of "non-nationals" [Brits] flying for.... British Airways, Jet2, Thomson, Airtours, Thomas Cook, Air2000, etc:ok:
watp,iktch

Groundloop
31st Jul 2006, 08:30
Thomsonfly is one of the oldest established English airlines, formerly known as Euravia and latterly Britannia
Actually, with a previous name like Britannia I would have thought they were a BRITISH airline! :oh:

Frankfurt_Cowboy
31st Jul 2006, 09:32
"Actually, with a previous name like Britannia I would have thought they were a BRITISH airline!"

Just like Air Scotland are from, errrrr....... :ugh: