PDA

View Full Version : Diversion to LGW

332ek340
28th Jul 2006, 07:41
Yesterday numerous aircraft bound for LHR diverted to LGW due to thunderstorms. They included EK3, China Eastern551, VS301, Etihad303. Does anyone know who else diverted?

Cheers:)

FlapsOne
28th Jul 2006, 07:46
'Routine diversions'.

It was just a bit of bad weather - that's all!

Edited to make it 'nicer'

ALLDAYDELI
28th Jul 2006, 08:17
pretty nasty stuff west of London yesterday around teatime. Loads of go-rounds into late evening after the storms, off of 27L as well, one of them was an EK B773.

Scottie Dog
28th Jul 2006, 08:19
But possible better posted on the Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner) thread than on here? Is it really Rumours or News, or do people sometimes just post on the first thread they see - without realising the consequences that they may get when they get comments such as that postedby FlapsOne?

Have a nice day.

Scottie Dog

lexxity
28th Jul 2006, 08:27
If the mods feel this should be moved then they will move it. Lets all play nice now, this is 332ek's first post so come on let's be fair.

Welcome, we're not all bad.:}

Flightmech
28th Jul 2006, 11:07
Chaos at STN due TS from around 1630Z last night too. Several aircraft at holding point with engines shut down for 2 hours+ due cells at 23 departure end initially, then all over. Never seen a storm like it

wanderin_star
28th Jul 2006, 11:09
I agree lexxity - welcome 332ek.

BOAC
28th Jul 2006, 11:24
Can everyone STOP getting their knickers in a twist over this?:ugh:

Facts are:
Posted in R&N - yes, in the wrong forum.
Accused of 'wasting bandwidth' by FlapsOne who then proceded to waste even more:ugh:
Moved by me here. Here it is fine. Can we just concentrate now please on answering the original question?

fmgc
28th Jul 2006, 16:15
Pretty relevent to all aviators I think.

All I can say is that I am glad that I landed at STN early pm and went home rather than later.

Weather like this does test a crews' abilities to make good decisions.

Final 3 Greens
28th Jul 2006, 18:56
Was on EZY, Weds night, airborne return enroute to Paris.

The sky was flashing so much, it looked like a disco from the back and some other pax were complaining about the capt:ugh: s decision

Captain Airclues
28th Jul 2006, 22:02
I flew Frankfurt to Heathrow yesterday (in seat 4F). We held for an hour in the Lambourne area. There was a Virgin A340 going round in formation with us, 1000ft above, but I think that he probably diverted. There were some spectacular Cb's between us and Stansted so I assume that Gatwick would have been the obvious choice. I'm gald that the captain took plenty of fuel.

Airclues

Fried_Chicken
29th Jul 2006, 10:57
Luton, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Manston, Gatwick, Manchester & Cardiff (& maybe a few more?) all accepted Heathrow or/and Stansted diverts.

However, is there any truth in the rumour that several Luton inbounds also had to divert due to the LOREL & ABOTT holds being full (of Stansted inbounds) & thus couldn't get anywhere near Luton? I know East Midlands & Bristol both accepted Luton diverts

FC

Captain Airclues
30th Jul 2006, 14:20
I believe that China Eastern positioned LGW-LHR in the evening and had to declare a 'Mayday' due to low fuel. Anybody know how much fuel they had on arrival at LHR?

Airclues

point5
30th Jul 2006, 16:11
Didn't declare a Mayday but did come in short of fuel. Parked in T5 overnight. T2 was full of pax all night due to canx flights, all trying to spend their £20 food vouchers at Costa - thats a lot of coffee!!

Captain Airclues
30th Jul 2006, 17:32
point5

How did you know that they were short of fuel? Previous threads on the ATC Forum have implied that 'low fuel' messages would be ignored unless a Mayday or Pan was declared.

Airclues

point5
30th Jul 2006, 17:38
I was the controller who cleared CES to land! He was told when on the ground at LGW that LHR would not accept him that night due to noise etc... but he got airbourne anyway and subsequently told approach he was short of fuel and requested to divert to Heathrow (sneaky!) The airport then had no other option but to accept him, although he wasn't allowed to depart that night!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Jul 2006, 10:25
Captain Airclues... Just because when someone says "we're short of fuel" ATC takes no action it doesn't mean people don't say it....

God only knows why the Mod chose to move this thread here - it's nothing whatsoever to do with spotting.

Flightman
31st Jul 2006, 11:41
I believe that China Eastern positioned LGW-LHR in the evening and had to declare a 'Mayday' due to low fuel. Anybody know how much fuel they had on arrival at LHR?
Airclues

10 Tonnes. As someone below says, sneaky, and not playing by the rules! :ugh:

Skipness One Echo
31st Jul 2006, 16:33
Missing something here. Why was the China Eastern ever allowed to taxi at Gatwick, presumably flight planned over to Heathrow if Heathrow wasn't going to accept him?

point5
31st Jul 2006, 16:47
I believe he was flight planned to SS but diverted in to LL en route!

Captain Airclues
31st Jul 2006, 18:00
Just in case I'm missing something here, could someone confirm that I've got this correct.

Aircraft PVG-LHR diverts to LGW. Late in the evening departs LGW for STN. When airborne request diversion to LHR. When told that it is after the night jet ban, a low fuel 'emergency' is declared and the aircraft lands at LHR, the original destination.

Have I got anything wrong?

Airclues

SilentHandover
1st Aug 2006, 08:53
According to the movement log at Gatwick the CES departed with a destination of Heathrow.

point5
1st Aug 2006, 09:05
Well in that case I don't know why he was allowed to get airbourne from LGW. We were told that he was refused landing permission at LHR when on the ground at LGW and as far as we knew he was off to Stansted (strange I know!), but he did then divert in due fuel!

Plus, the captain is the final arbiter in making any decision regarding his flight. So, this means if LGW do indeed refuse him take-off clearance he can still get airbourne anyhow - I am pretty sure this didn't happen here but this is an extreme example!

skiesfull
1st Aug 2006, 14:15
POINT5
there is no 'u' in airborne - nor is there a 'me' or a 'we' in airborne without ATC clearance! Technically you are correct in that as a Captain I can get airborne without ATC clearance as 'the final arbiter', however, to do so would be against SOP's and my co-pilot(s) and would leave me open to a charge of endangering the aircraft and its occupants, as well as losing my job and having my licence revoked.
Perhaps at best, the CE crew are guilty of sharp practice and if so, the UKCAA and NATS and HAL will voice their views through HM Government, to the Chinese authority, but things are never as they appear. The routing PVG-LHR via LGW and STN is more like a Chinaman than a googly!