PDA

View Full Version : N00b question

Delta452
27th Jul 2006, 21:21
Hi all.

I understand this is a very lame question to most of you but Im reading up on the different airlines and different rates of pay per rank and have come across the term "sector pay" but I cant find an explaination for what it means. Can anyone shed some light for me please?

Deano777
27th Jul 2006, 23:07
If your routing for the day was Bristol - Edinburg - Stanstead - Edinburg for example, then this constitutes 3 sectors, so your sector pay is 3 x whatever the figure you have seen. The more sectors you fly, the better off you will be :)

Dean

Delta452
28th Jul 2006, 16:12
Right ok... but does that mean that it doesnt differentiate how distance? For instance one person flying stanstead - edinburgh and another flying stanstead - rome will still get the same ammount of sector pay because they are both flying 2 sectors even though the second flight would take longer and therefor you should be paid more?

GusHoneybun
28th Jul 2006, 16:30
exactly, it doesn't matter whether your sector is to fly for 10 minutes or 10 hours, you will still get paid the same amount per sector flown.

however, some companies also pay duty pay, which is an hourly amount for being on duty. this would then reflect in someone flying a longer sector having a longer duty day and ergo, getting more folding in their sky rocket.

so in calculating your take home pay, don't consider just the basic wage (as listed on ppjn). short haul operators tend to do 4-6 sectors a day (big sector pay packets) and long haul only 1 sector but 10-12 hour duty days (big duty pay packets).

of course, once you take into account expenses, standby periods and working days off as well, crew payroll becomes a higher form of mathematics and generally needs some white haired tefal type boffin in a slightly grubby lab coat to really understand the nuances.

Delta452
28th Jul 2006, 16:55
lol, thanks alot, that clears things up for me now.