PDA

View Full Version : 747 freighters for QF??

Taildragger67
27th Jul 2006, 14:07
Righto, just a question...

What's the reckoning on this 747 freighter caper? Gregg's said that they may convert an existing passenger airframe.

So, what's the money on - a 743 or 744 SCF?

743s would be high hours and not much change out of 20 yrs old, so is it worth converting (and so keeping the costs of another airframe/engine combination plus Classic F/C skills), or go down the Cathay path and convert OJA (now getting on for what, 17 years old?) at next D-check time?

Or see what sort of deal Seattle would do for a 748 deal involving an F-model or two... ? But that's another can or worms entirely.

Elroy Jettson
29th Jul 2006, 07:40
With the crap refurb job done on the classics a few years ago, the interior already looks like the inside of a trash hauler, just take the seats out. Voila!

I was on an SYD AKL, and the captain of the classic was proudly making a PA about this being the first sector after a complete interior refurb. We couldnt believe it. J class pax, looking at each other laughing, the guy behind me made a comparison between the refurb job, and spit polishing a tu rd, I think were his words. It was so funny, a Qantas flight attendant nearly smiled! Now that would have been some record!

rescue 1
29th Jul 2006, 21:05
Elroy, I was on that same flight, albeit "down the back". I did like the seat back screens rather than the tired and often broken main screen for the movies.

Couldn't see just one aircraft - no schedule recovery ability. :)

turbinejunkie
3rd Aug 2006, 12:26
Elroy,

the guy behind me made a comparison between the refurb job, and spit polishing a turd, I think were his words. It was so funny, a Qantas flight attendant nearly smiled! Now that would have been some record!

funniest thing I've heard in ages! What a crack-up!

:} :p :ok:

TJ