PDA

View Full Version : Computers and hot Wx

Hobo
27th Jul 2006, 10:08
I've noticed in this hot weather we've been having in the UK recently (mid 30s - yes I know that's not hot for some parts of the world ) that my computer runs much slower on the web with frequent disconnects in the afternoons when it is at its hottest. Is this a known phenomena and is it to do with my computer or the telphone cables and connections outside overheating?

frostbite
27th Jul 2006, 11:47
Haven't had that problem with mine but I've not given it the chance!

Since it's blowing hard from power-on, I've been switching it off at times, instead of my usual 'once on, stays on' daily routine.

Just as likely to be overheating equipment at your ISP as at your end (if it is that).

Avtrician
27th Jul 2006, 12:51
Sounds like the CPU may be overheating. If you are confident enough, open your PC (Removing power first of course) locate your CPU on the motherboard, and have a look at the cooling fan, It and the heat sink may be clogged with dust. If you are confident enough, remove the cooling fan, and while using a small brush, vaccum all the dust out. Clean out the rest of the case while you are at it.

Now power the puter back up and see how it goes. While the side is off, direct the blast from a small electric fan into the case, this should improve the cooling (I do this in summer here in West Oz.

Best of luck.:ok::ok:

bladewashout
27th Jul 2006, 19:02
It finished off my laptop :( - video chip went and kept failing every time the weather got hot, middle of the day onwards, mornings and nights were fine!

Fortunately still 2 months inside the 3 year IBM warranty, so fixed for free...

I hadn't realised that standard dells had variable speed fans until the last few weeks - they are noisy buggers when it gets hot, but shut up again in the cold!

BW

Wodrick
28th Jul 2006, 04:20
On the subject of CPU overheating, what is considered hot ? my machine takes to shutting down, with a slow reboot in the heat, when it does so setup gives its CPU temp as 54.2, less than this and it seems ok.
Althon at 2200 Mhz in a Mesh PC with clean fans (four of them !)

EpsilonVaz
28th Jul 2006, 07:41
40 - 50C is generally an OK tempriture for CPU's to run at, anything over (once in a while is ok) could potentially damage the CPU.

maxell
28th Jul 2006, 08:09
Athlon xp 2800 here running at 57 c at the moment with case open, cpu cooler clean and dust free, It will hit mid to high 70's under load at this time of year.

bladewashout
28th Jul 2006, 08:38
Some BIOS's change the chip speed over a certain temperature. I think it was a PII 300 I had a while back where it automatically slowed it down to reduce the head (speed of CPU clock directly impacts temperature).

If you have such a setting and it is set to reduce speed, best not to mess about with it...

BW

frostbite
28th Jul 2006, 11:42
Having the case open will largely defeat the effectiveness of the fans.

JawZ_Brown
29th Jul 2006, 01:49
Thought about liquid cooling?

Got mine installed 4 wks ago, temp never gone above 54 Deg's (running dual 3.2mHz Pentiums)...

Have a look here (http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=316Z&SearchType=1&CategorySelectedId=11258&SearchTerms=liquid+cooling&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=50080,11258&v=1#infoarea) and read the reviews.

extreme P
29th Jul 2006, 05:13
Mine crashed twice for no apparent reason during a hot evening. Opened the case and put a fan in front of the machine. No problems since.

Flybywyre
1st Aug 2006, 19:22
I have a P4 3.0 with the Presscot core which is known to run hot even in the best of conditions, I don't think mine ever gets below 60C even in the winter with the heating off ! Had the same problem before on another build using the same spec so this time I installed a Zalman fan which is very good. Unfortunately though the hot weather played its part and the other day I had the alarm go off when the system was loaded, the CPU peaked at 86C. Checked it with another sensor that I have installed and that also confirmed 86C. I did not notice any throttling and apart from the irritating alarm (until I turned it off) everything seemed to be working fine. Once the offending programme had finished the temp returned to its normal 68/69C. Interestingly enough the MB temp always stays at around 37C
The alarm is triggered at 80F and this has gone off a few times ( like when doing a full virus scan before a backup ) over the last 6 weeks or so.
On any other processor this would be cause for concern to say the least but the P4 with the Presscot core is notorious for this behaviour.
Anyone beat 86C ?
Regards
FBW

pilot-320
1st Oct 2006, 13:33
40 - 50C is generally an OK tempriture for CPU's to run at, anything over (once in a while is ok) could potentially damage the CPU.
WHAT ABOUT APU' s THEN VARUN? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:ugh: