PDA

View Full Version : Why all the TLA's?

L'aviateur
27th Jul 2006, 08:53
Why on pprune do some people insist on abbreviating everything, takes me hours to decipher some of the strange ones. It would be ok if they were the 'commonly used abbreviations' but often they appear to be made up.

TLA - Three letter abbreviation

Erwin Schroedinger
27th Jul 2006, 08:56
ATBMU?

What do you mean?

Someone had to do it eventually......that gets it out the way.

Wedge
27th Jul 2006, 09:07
WTF? IMHO NP 2 USE TLAs. FFS!

BTW LOL

Pan Pan Splash
27th Jul 2006, 09:20
RAOFLMFAO :}

green granite
27th Jul 2006, 09:20
one of the problems with abreviations is that the same one can mean different things in different industries which gets very confusing in a forum like this, especially noticeable on the MIL forum :(

10bob
27th Jul 2006, 10:04
Greengranite,

Is there really a forum for Mothers in Law?

Pan Pan Splash
27th Jul 2006, 10:47
I thought it was for Russian helicopters.. you mean..??:rolleyes:

Navajo8686
27th Jul 2006, 10:51
I love the MILF forum :)

Oh - there's to many 'F's in that :suspect:

ORAC
27th Jul 2006, 11:09
TLA = Three Letter Acronym

Wedge
27th Jul 2006, 11:18
That's what TLA is said to stand for, ORAC, but it's not an acronym because it's not a word:

A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.

So in fact 'Three Letter Abbreviation' is more accurate.

frostbite
27th Jul 2006, 11:59
Was a time when there was just SWALK and NORWICH.

I blame the internet (and mobile phones).

Lon More
27th Jul 2006, 12:42
So in fact 'Three Letter Abbreviation' is more accurate.
But to use the examples posted, WAc and radar were not words before they were made up. So "tla" now exists as a word

Chesty Morgan
27th Jul 2006, 12:43
How do you pronounce it then:confused:

Davaar
27th Jul 2006, 12:57
Can you, or for that matter we, pronounce tra? As in Tra La La? I think we can. Why the difficulty with TLA?

The only essential difference in quality between WAC and TLA is that the former begins and ends with a consonant and the latter does not. Does that make the one a word and the other not? Pshaw! Phooey!

Incidentally, when you write "Gender" do you mean "Sex"?

reynoldsno1
27th Jul 2006, 21:13
Was a time when there was just SWALK and NORWICH.

but it really should be KORWICH, but it doesn't seem to work as well

frostbite
27th Jul 2006, 21:37
The bit that bugs me on pprune is the use of airport abbreviations - it's like a secret code if you don't have a crib sheet!

Whirlygig
27th Jul 2006, 22:24
The bit that bugs me on pprune is the use of airport abbreviations - it's like a secret code if you don't have a crib sheet!
That's a subject that has run and run on Private Flying - gets quite heated as well! It's so that those who think they're "in the know" can make others think they're not "in the know" thus engendering a feeling of superiority and making those not "in the know" feel inadequate. just oneupmanship and I ignore it.

However, I thought the accountancy was bad for TLAs (and FLAs) until I started as an auditor. I have to write them out long-hand otherwise I forget what they stand for!

Cheers

Whirls

G-CPTN
27th Jul 2006, 23:19
http://www.world-airport-codes.com/united-states/teller-9192.html

Whirlygig
27th Jul 2006, 23:28
It's easy enough to look up which airport EGSH is but why should you have to? I know that EGSH is Norwich but I wouldn't presume anyone else to and nor would I expect them to look it up.

It comes down to respect for your reader; I don't use abbreviations at work; I won't use them for my hobby either.

Plus there are two types of people who work in aviation; those who say Heathrow is EGLL and those who say it's LHR. It's not much extra effort surely to type Heathrow?

Cheers

Whirls

Gonzo
27th Jul 2006, 23:29
Frostbite,

I agree, but from the other direction. I know the ICAO codes, EGLL, EGCC etc, not the silly IATA ones. When people start talking about BHD I wonder why a radio navaid on the south coast warrants so much attention!:ugh:

Whirlygig
27th Jul 2006, 23:37
Exactly Gonzo. So, in order to avoid confusion, why not just say/write Heathrow? Especially as this forum icaters for all walks of life.

Cheers

Whirls

G-CPTN
27th Jul 2006, 23:37
Plus there are two types of people who work in aviation; those who say Heathrow is EGLL and those who say it's LHR. It's not much extra effort surely to type Heathrow?
Ah but can't you see that those saying EGLL are FLIERS, whereas those who use LHR are BAGGAGE!

(Ducks and runs . . . )
Perhaps I should have said FREIGHT?