View Full Version : RFDS Kingair landing distance

ContactMeNow
27th Jul 2006, 05:47
Just heard this RFDS Kingair land at Coffs Harbour on RWY 10, wind was from about 030/10.

Just curious as to if this is common to practise for short field landings? Or was it a case of the PIC "felt like it"

It was a ripper landing and by the looks of it he still had plenty of room until the overshoot.

Having not flown that type (wish I could) what is the shortest landing distance possible for this type (Kingair 200)

Cheers
CMN :ok:

Yakka
27th Jul 2006, 06:51
Flew a kingair in Africa for a while, landing distance (at 3000') can be as little as 500m, can't takeoff in that though

swh
27th Jul 2006, 08:09
Depends on the mods on the aircraft, 300m is achievable.
Would prefer to do a short fielder at night with a lower chance of hitting a roo.

maxgrad
27th Jul 2006, 08:26
What swh said
also depends greatly on surface, weight and temperature

G.A. Boy
27th Jul 2006, 11:26
And also if it is Raisbeck equipped makes the biggest difference to performance and landing distances. ie. Vrefs are up to 7 knots slower. 300-400m is easily achievable SL.

Richo
27th Jul 2006, 14:59
Unless RFDS NSW has replaced them yet, the aircraft are straight B200s.

From the Landing Weight Chart DOT approved in 1977.

CH I asume is near Sea level and at this time of year would be fairly close to ISA, with MLW is 5670kg (unlikely though as this is also the MTOW) from your example thats about a 3 kt HWC.

LDR is 850m.

Now of course nowdays you can use the manafacturers data (POH) and you have more choice for factored and over the 50ft stuff. So the real answer may be different to that from the old factored charts.
Not to mention the reverse thrust, which is not considered for the DOT charts.

From past experiance 500m was easy to do, which always left 350m to go.

Always good to keep the hand in with performance TKF and landings.

Richo

Sharpie
28th Jul 2006, 06:58
Ozexpat of Portmorbid has not seemed to have replied, but I recall some years ago that he managed to perform a rather short landing at Jacksons Airport in the CAA Kingie, but blew all tyres in the process.

Woomera
28th Jul 2006, 07:31
Port Morbid and King Airs.............

Sharpie will recall Wes Guy doing a "stealth approach" in a King Air 200!!!

Foundation Members of the Moresby Gliding Club!!

:} :} :} :}

Sunny Woomera