PDA

View Full Version : Is there a logical reasoning behind it ??

milehigh2020
26th Jul 2006, 19:14
Okay I have a question....

Ever wondered why do clocks and watches in advertisements and illustrations often have their hands set at 10 minutes after 10 ??

colmac747
26th Jul 2006, 19:19
http://www.watches-global.com/misc_images/breitling6.jpg

:suspect: :ooh: :suspect: :ooh:

Although in truth, this one is at 8 mins past:E

26th Jul 2006, 19:28
I'm not sure if it's true, but I was once told that it originated from the days of "wind up" watches.
When the watches (and clocks) were on display in shops, they were left in the 10 to 2 position because this was the optimum position for the mechanism so it was under as little strain as possible.

AcroChik
26th Jul 2006, 19:32
To me it looks like the position in which one can best see the brand logo (highlighted by the surrounding hands), model and most features in the picture above. But this is probably wrong.

stevef
26th Jul 2006, 19:46
I agree with AcroChik. Also, it looks 'right', just like moving a three-bladed prop to the 'Y' position when you've finished with the aircraft.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Jul 2006, 19:48
...after first checking the mags were off of course :uhoh:

It's because it looks best that way, it also doesn't obscure the date number.

Have you noticed all digital clocks say 12:08?

wasdale
26th Jul 2006, 20:11
It puts a smile on its face.

AcroChik
26th Jul 2006, 20:20
And the answer is...

"TIMEX SAYS THE HANDS ON TIMEPIECES ARE PLACED AT TEN-TEN SO THE COMPANY LOGO ON THE FACE WILL BE FRAMED AND NOT BLOCKED BY THE HANDS. TIMEX SAYS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD USED TO BE EIGHT-TWENTY BUT THAT LOOKED TOO MUCH LIKE A FROWN AND CREATED AN UNHAPPY LOOK."

Complete answer here:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=600223

More (as if that wasn't already enough):

http://www.ubr.com/clocks/faq/1010.html

Foss
26th Jul 2006, 20:26
That thing's got a lot of buttons.
Mine keeps on telling me what day it is, but in French. :{

As for the ads, I believe it's just to display the logo.
wish I had one of those though

Fos

tilewood
26th Jul 2006, 20:34
You mean there is something with hands and numbers?!!

So can I throw this granite sundial away that I have had strapped
to my wrist?!! :p

frostbite
26th Jul 2006, 21:09
" So can I throw this granite sundial away that I have had strapped
to my wrist?!!"

Except we all know it's the electronic tag you refused to have strapped to your ankle.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Jul 2006, 21:11
Granite? :bored: I hope it's strapped to your *left* wrist :=

tilewood
26th Jul 2006, 23:32
Granite? :bored: I hope it's strapped to your *left* wrist :=

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. You have no sense of fun!! ;)

SET 18
26th Jul 2006, 23:38
Foss, daft question, but have you tried manually selecting the day ?

Several watches have dual language days which only show in the language manually selected.

Does that make sense? If you turn the day/date wheel you should see French and English abbreviated days. If you leave it set in English, it will go through the French day overnight and redisplay the English one.

airship
26th Jul 2006, 23:44
Even Snopes don't know this yet...

The correct position is not 10 past 10, it's 10 to 2.

The originator of the concept that all watch adverts followed this general rule was none other than one IAM driving instructor who gave that up for a more lucrative career in advertising (or so I'm told)...

Arm out the window
27th Jul 2006, 01:58
Well I hope those advertising gurus got a lot of money for working out that a watch ought to be smiling ... have had watches with hands for probably 30 years now and I've never, ever considered that my watch could be showing any emotions whatsoever - now I've been enlightened and will make sure I look after its emotional well being by turning it up the other way every half hour.
These would be the same people who do the TV ads with the chocky bars that open perfectly with a smooth continuous peeling action, not to mention the good looking girls who shape up to take a bite as if they're performing lewd sexual acts upon the aforementioned confectionery - not that there's anything wrong with that!

G-CPTN
27th Jul 2006, 02:04
The originator of the concept that all watch adverts followed this general rule was none other than one IAM driving instructor who gave that up for a more lucrative career in advertising (or so I'm told)...
Nonsense, the Police used the concept in Roadcraft long before the IAM, so that you could read the speedometer.

And Murray Walker coined the phrase "Trill makes budgies bounce with health", whilst a colleague thought up "A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play."

milehigh2020
27th Jul 2006, 15:36
"TIMEX SAYS THE HANDS ON TIMEPIECES ARE PLACED AT TEN-TEN SO THE COMPANY LOGO ON THE FACE WILL BE FRAMED AND NOT BLOCKED BY THE HANDS. TIMEX SAYS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD USED TO BE EIGHT-TWENTY BUT THAT LOOKED TOO MUCH LIKE A FROWN AND CREATED AN UNHAPPY LOOK." - Makes Sense !!

Taildragger67
27th Jul 2006, 16:54
Seiko have used 10:08:42 on 03 Dec for years.

How do I know this? Too many in-flight mags... got to asking this exact same question myself.

Anorak on, despite warm weather