PDA

View Full Version : What you think of Nokia N80 ?

milehigh2020
26th Jul 2006, 18:04
Right guys I am sick of my old crapy phone about time i get a new one !!!

Well I have my eyes on Nokia N80, its not one of those Latest ones i know but after having done bit of R&D on it.. its seems like a pretty good phone to me.

But before i go ahead and spend all that money on it... I was wondering if any one in here has it and can give me an honest review about it.. would like to take a 2nd openion on it really :)

Cheers !!

Grainger
26th Jul 2006, 18:08
I've got an N70 which I think is similar.

Nice phone, but I have a major gripe, which is that the damn thing takes an eternity to boot up. My old one you just switched it on and that was it. This new one is as bad as Windows XP. Look, I just want to switch it on and talk to someone, OK ? Grrr. :mad:

The other thing is that you can't get rid of the fecking "Nokia" tune when you switch it on. And the blasted thing plays at full volume too. You can shut it up with some deft fingerwork each time, but there's no way of permanently removing it. Are they deliberately trying to p*ss people off ?

BOAC
26th Jul 2006, 18:20
Grainger - they said it was the same with the Motorola V3 and its dorky boot-up sound which was like a bad case of 'Montezuma's Revenge' but with Google's help I took my courage in all three hands and edited the 'Seems' on the phone and now it boots-up silently.

I should add that dear old Keef talked me into upgrading the phone software as well - successfully too:)

AcroChik
26th Jul 2006, 18:20
Review of the N80 from Cnet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Nokia_N80/4505-6454_7-31582495-2.html?tag=nav

milehigh2020
26th Jul 2006, 18:22
You are damn right about the NOKIA tune Grainger...one of my friend just got it.. poor thing is hittin his head against the wall every time it rings :ugh: ..lol

The tune just wont go away...I reckon N80 does not have this problem.

colmac747
26th Jul 2006, 18:55
Do you know (and this isn't really relevant to your thread), but i've never, ever possessed a mobile phone..one does lead a sheltered life:(

Erm, so there.:E

milehigh2020
26th Jul 2006, 19:02
I see a silver line behind it Colmac... at least ur boss cant reach u !! :=

hummm now you are making me think twice.. ;) lol

Whirlygig
26th Jul 2006, 19:45
Colmac, I don't suppose there's much of a signal on Rockall either!

Grainger, there's an easy solution - don't turn your phone off :p . If you don't want calls, just set it to silent instead!

Cheers

Whirls

OldCessna
26th Jul 2006, 19:52
[QUOTE=milehigh2020]Right guys I am sick of my old crapy phone about time i get a new one !!!

Well I have my eyes on Nokia N80, its not one of those Latest ones i know but after having done bit of R&D on it.. its seems like a pretty good phone to me.

But before i go ahead and spend all that money on it... I was wondering if any one in here has it and can give me an honest review about it.. would like to take a 2nd openion on it really :)

If you need or want to get your emails via the N80 you need "Push" technology which "pushes" your emails through to your phone as they arrive. The N80 hasnt got "Push" amazing they omitted that!

Howard Hughes
26th Jul 2006, 19:57
Have you looked at the Nokia E-70? You may find that it is not yet available in some areas (like mine), but worth waiting for...:ok:

Capt.KAOS
26th Jul 2006, 21:19
I have one. Basic problem is the very limited battery life. One day if you´re a heavy user, 2-3 days with moderate use. Not very good for a business orientated phone. Furthermore the slide is not spring loaded therefore can be opened very easy and it is a bit wobbly.

Otherwise a very good phone. Be sure always update with latest firmware.

More plusses and cons on this very informative N80 users forum.
(http://forum2.mobile-review.com/showthread.php?t=46708)

cortilla
26th Jul 2006, 22:07
Ahhh the nokia N70. The only phone i have ever hated ith a passion. Can't wait till november when my current contract ends and can get a new phone. Its so increadibly slow in everything

OllyBeak
27th Jul 2006, 02:48
Try the E60 instead. No camera, no frills.

Same bloody start-up tune, though.

Cheers,

Ol.

milehigh2020
27th Jul 2006, 15:28
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions you guys .. keep them coming !!:ok:

Capt.KAOS - The link is good.. thanks again !!

By the way guess what! One of my colleague got N80 yesterday… however I got to know that the battery runs out quite fast…uggggg !!!! how annoying is that’s now :{

I heard same is the problem with E 70.. I thought we were talking about smart phones !!

bar fly
27th Jul 2006, 15:36
I was tempted back to nokia by the N80's predecessor N70. This illogical phone is the first i have ever had where i actually could not work out how to do certain operations (even after manual consultation!). It annoys me by playing the nokia ringtone part of the time and my selected one at others. One would hope that they ironed out this shite on the N80.

I agree with Cortilla, and can't wait to get back to the land of Samsung - in particular the E900 looks to me like the best phone on the market right now.

maxman
27th Jul 2006, 19:40
Erm, Iv'e got a Nokia 3310, it's a phone, you can get them on e bay for about a pound.
gets coat and departs.

planeenglish
27th Jul 2006, 19:47
HI. Sorry but I can help you on the Nokia 80. However , I have a Nokia Complicator. Have had for some time. I have used the complicator series fo years.
This new one is wireless internet access and use that function endlessly. I also use the agenda and then the contacts area. I know it can do alot more but the problem is the phone is smarter than me. It lets me make phone calls and I appreciate it. I can't remember the last time I turned it off and charge the battery every two to three days. I can not complain about the battery.

Someone wrote below that a moderate user can get 2-3 days but I would call myself a heavy user, also for writing messages and emails, and as I wrote already, going online.

It is a bit cumbersome, but worth it.

Hope this helps,

PE

reynoldsno1
27th Jul 2006, 21:54
Do they employ someone full time to dream up numbers and letters for each new model?

Sultan Ismail
28th Jul 2006, 07:10
I admit to having an N80, bought it last week after the Sultana complained that my 3310 was a dinosaur.

It has Infra Red which works well, BlueTooth which works even better, Wi-Fi which I have still to try out, a 3 megapixel camera which is crap, a smaller video camera which is yet untried, it apparently also takes calls etc, although I did battle with that function. The multiple connectivity choice is a small pain as making a call is not just a press away, you have also to select the medium, perhaps there is a short cut, but as I have yet to open the instruction book I cannot claim to know it.

Most important however, it comes with Sudoku, now I don't have to feign staying awake in meetings.