PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Farnborough?

franzliszt
26th Jul 2006, 17:23
As far as I know, there was no TV coverage of this major event - this was something I used to enjoy in the 60s/70s with Raymond Baxter et al possibly a security issue now ?

Krystal n chips
26th Jul 2006, 17:30
See "Big Brother, Vomit Island " etc and all the rest of the :mad: now deemed to be popular viewing ----nothing to stretch the cretinous community's attentions too far in one go----well several actually:E

green granite
26th Jul 2006, 17:57
That was when we had an aircraft industry, the gov supported it, the public were interested, and the BBC put on good programmes.

Now, we don't have an aircraft industry, the gov doesn't support it, there are no new British aircraft so the public arn't interested, and the Beeb knows it.:(

tilewood
26th Jul 2006, 20:43
Aah! The Vickers Valiant on a 9" black and white Pye TV screen, being described in graphic detail by Raymond Baxter as it approached over
the Black Sheds.

Whatever happened to our aircraft industry, our television industry
and our aspiration as a nation?

As for the BBC!! :yuk:

TnT.......
26th Jul 2006, 22:09
above Bisley (I was rifle shooting last week, blimey it was hot!!)ahh the wonderful memories with the running boar, and pistol shooting there every weekend!

But I was wondering what happened too! I ended up reading about the delights of the tilt etc in Flight this week and some wonderful pics from those around the office who went!

It is a shame it was not covered on TV!

Ray Darr
26th Jul 2006, 22:29
there are no new British aircraft

...the newly-built Islander was there, albeit with turbo-props and a military splash of paint on it :} :p :ok:

(The folks at BN did leave its baggage-bin handle un-camouflaged chrome, though!). :O := :O

...and yes, it would be nice if something completely new was built in the UK again. :{

Cheers,
R.D.

TnT.......
26th Jul 2006, 22:49
Is that "the" TnT?? We must talk about calibres & actions privately...... well actually it...............................oh yes it is and personally I like a nice .38 or .45, recoil on the 45 once it is handled correctly, i love the piece, is a lovely neat bit of machinary, especially in well trained hands!

Keeping the piece oiled and blued it the best bit of it but firing it gives great satisfation after priming it correctly! Many a happy hour aiming and getting the bullseye!

As to the aircraft, there seemed to be some interesting aircraft frames out there this year, which I really can't believe they did not do a programme or cover somehow on!

Smudger
26th Jul 2006, 22:55
Tilewood, Bliar isn't aware of things like an Aviation Industry, all he is aware of is the possibilty of his arse staying in 'Power' and lining his own and his cronie's pockets for as long as is possible. I am not a religious person but god help us all. How can we have any aspirations as a nation with that person at the helm?

TnT.......
26th Jul 2006, 23:01
Hate to say it Mike She is an ugly a/c, (sorry to any airbus A380 enthusiasts) her lines just aren't appealing as the other airbus series!

As to the guns, yes Blighty and her tight laws, but one still can keep a hand in! One never knows when you may have to aim straight and hit a target! I peronally loved my little viper, hand held, light and very easy to deploy!

But does anyone have any pics of the Tilt rotor? Did she display or was it static, was she there, the article said she should have been!

G-CPTN
26th Jul 2006, 23:14
Still photographs of the A380 are, IMHO, ugly, however, having watched the maiden flight (on TV) and subsequent film (moving pictures) I changed my mind, as it seemed to 'look right', possibly more right than the long-upper deck B747.
Osprey? I'd have liked to have seen it in flight (and making the transition), having seen (and heard) the Fairey Rotodyne performing! In a way I don't believe the V22 Osprey will work . . . :confused:

TnT.......
26th Jul 2006, 23:15
Thank you Mike, awsome bit of machinery!:ok:

Still photographs of the A380 are, IMHO, ugly, however, having watched the maiden flight I did see a still with her in formation and then her breaking at a steep climb and she looked pretty impressive then but with no pax or additional weight she can perform to her limit! Still don't think she is a visual beauty thought when compared to others out there!

rusty_y2k2
26th Jul 2006, 23:19
the osprey was great to watch.... really interesting bit of kit, even if i was getting soaked at the time!

the A380 actually looked pretty nice in real life - it has a certain.... presence....

TnT.......
26th Jul 2006, 23:22
But what got me excited at work today was this:

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/07/18/Navigation/246/207933/Bell+Helicopter+joins+Urban+Aero+to+launch+X-Hawk+flying+car+using+fancraft+technology+for.html

very interesting bit of development and wonder how far it will take us in the future!! Is this the beginnings of Star Wars becoming reality?

G-CPTN
27th Jul 2006, 00:16
http://tinyurl.com/h8jnz

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=12940

mocoman
27th Jul 2006, 00:22
Right above us too, as we were the other side of the crowd line. Fantastic view

Always maintain that the north side is the best place to watch displays at Farnborough; apart from the fact that the best seats in the house are free....:E

I still can't believe that no TV coverage was deemed necessary for the DOUBLE back-flip from the MIG29 on Sat; never seen that before!!!!

Star of the show to my mind.

:D

henry crun
27th Jul 2006, 00:38
tilewood: Being there was better. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/crun9/Valiant.jpg

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
27th Jul 2006, 00:38
If Farnborough was televised, the flying sequences would be to the strains of pop or rap music! Argument would be the appeal to you average telly watcher: sod the aeroplane enthusiast who wants to soak in the atmosphere and actually listen to the engines! Last time I was there, it was an air display (and some unfortunate French type flamed an Atlantic next to the fire station). Of course, everything now is just a show.

Just a word about that Atlantic: I'd never seen an aeroplane crash before. Scared the hell out of me and I hope it inspired me to be a better pilot. Not my choice of departure from this mortal coil.

Old Hairy
27th Jul 2006, 13:01
Henry ,Flying em,was even better still:ok:
Old Hairy

chevvron
28th Jul 2006, 14:21
If it was televised, you'd get half the programme showing the Red Arrows and the real aircraft would be restricted to short flashes. That's been the format of all airshow broadcasts shown in recent years.
When we first had a telly in the late 50's, I'm sure it was shown live on several days, not just edited 'highlights'.
It was interesting one year though, seeing the Buffalo 'heavy landing', then nipping down to the restroom and watching a replay on the telly! Regretfully I also had a grandstand view of the S67 Blackhawk (not the H60 but the earlier one) going in. Then there was the time John Farley was required to fly Baxter in G-VTOL. To ensure Baxter wouldn't do a technicolour yawn whilst live on air, John asked for a special practice slot to take him up and throw it around prior to the actual live broadcast; that's preparation for you!

You want it when?
28th Jul 2006, 16:57
Watched the Golden Years on DVD (1948 - 1958) FAN-TAS-TIC. Got told to turn it down or off by the boss, until she saw the recently declassfied Avro 707 which was described as "cute".

Pour me another finger, hold the ice and water peasent. :)

CargoMatatu
28th Jul 2006, 19:44
Is that "the" TnT??

Obviously not!:=

Smudger
28th Jul 2006, 20:57
I think the A380 is not ugly, just unusual, but it is beautiful, in it's own way. The 'long' one will look more pleasing, methinks.

Ripline
28th Jul 2006, 21:05
To ensure Baxter wouldn't do a technicolour yawn whilst live on air, John asked for a special practice slot to take him up and throw it around prior to the actual live broadcast; that's preparation for you!

But, but surely Baxter was an ex-Spitfire pilot - why would he be suspected of not being able to handle a few aeros?

Ripline

tilewood
28th Jul 2006, 21:36
tilewood: Being there was better. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/crun9/Valiant.jpg

Henry, thankyou for that, it brought tears to the eyes!! :ok:

G-CPTN
28th Jul 2006, 22:32
Vulcan was louder, especially when in a steep climb on full chat.
I also believe Vulcan was more manoueverable.

chevvron
29th Jul 2006, 09:09
John was well aware of that, but being the experienced guy he is, he didn't want to take any chances.