PDA

View Full Version : Bought a convertible?......Then put the roof down!!!!

Gonzo
26th Jul 2006, 15:59
Between 0800 and 1000 this morning one saw more than twenty convertibles on the way in to work.

They all had the roof up.

It wasn't cold. It wasn't too hot. It wasn't too bright. It wasn't raining. What the **** is the point in buying a soft top and not making use of it in such fine weather?

The worst offenders this morning were the Lotus Elise lot. Four of them and all buttoned up. Closely followed by the MX5s, TTs and MGFs. Even one Caterham had the fabric up!

Sorry.

Really really annoys one.

/Rant mode off.

cavortingcheetah
26th Jul 2006, 16:12
:hmm:

Lotus cars.
MGs
Caterhams.

British cars, atrocious build quality supreme monument of which in awefulness is the TVR.
Once up, roofs won't go down, once down, won't come up.

MX5s

Mazda thingies?
Hairdresser cars, women drivers, coiffure and so on.

There we are then, an explanation for it all.:p

Gonzo
26th Jul 2006, 16:37
I've got a VX220, which has the same roof as an Elise, and it's a piece of fabric and two metal bars. There's nothing that can go wrong! takes 20 seconds to whip it off. The roof I mean.

And what else did I see this morning? A few 206CCs, Astra TwinTop, a few Mercs and BMWs and Beetles. All with the tops on!

G-CPTN
26th Jul 2006, 16:44
You know very well that you can't have the hood down when you're using the Aircon. Probably says it in the handbook.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Jul 2006, 16:48
Really really annoys one.Don't move to Texas then.

TwinAisle
26th Jul 2006, 16:54
Couldn't agree more - why the hell spend the money on one and not use it?? My convertible hasn't had the roof up in days, and great fun it is too. Even though it makes the boot tiny!

colmac747
26th Jul 2006, 18:29
Anyone with a convertible is a ponce..

...:}

TwinAisle
26th Jul 2006, 18:33
Jealousy will get you nowhere...!! :ok:

planeenglish
26th Jul 2006, 18:35
Don't move to Texas then.
born and raised in dallas. I can tell you everyone that has a convertible uses the windows up and air conditioner on with the top down. Then when the girl arrives, close everything so you don't ruin her "do".

Aaaaaaarrrgh, I don't know where you are but assume all of Texas has this mentality.

pe

colmac747
26th Jul 2006, 19:53
Aaaaaaarrrgh, I don't know where you are but assume all of Texas has this mentality.

Don't really think Aaaaaaaaaaaargh knows where he is, tbh:p

tart1
26th Jul 2006, 20:41
07.00 Drove to station and back with roof up and air con on due to weather looking like rain.

07.45 Drove to work with roof down and air con off, due to it suddenly being sunny and dry.

13.30 Drove from work to home (4 miles) with roof down, air con off, sun blazing down.

18.30 Drove to station with roof up and air con on full blast because I felt over-warm.

18.50 Drove home with roof down and air con off to enjoy the evening air

Convertible means can be adapted to suit mood and circumstances!! :ok:

ORAC
26th Jul 2006, 21:04
I have an MX-5, no hard top.

Dry: Hood down (regardless of season)

Wet: Speed below 30mph - hood up (sorry)

Wet: Speed above 30mph - hood down. The aerodynamics keep the water out, though I do have to wipe the inside of the windscreen with a cloth every 5 or 6 minutes. I get some strange looks when it's sleeting it down and I drive past people, and I live in fear of slow downs. Stoppages aren't too bad, it only takes 10 seconds to put the hood up or down - much faster than an electric. New single centre clamp is the biz... :ok:

jayteeto
26th Jul 2006, 21:22
I used to call the MX5 a hairdressers car until my other half bought one. Try a drive, they are quick and really good fun to take on the country lanes. Urban is a bit less enjoyable...

Gonzo
26th Jul 2006, 21:34
ORAC,

I like your style, sir. I too have the hood down in anything other than driving rain. And you do get some funny looks. :p

TnT.......
26th Jul 2006, 22:12
GonzoAnd what else did I see this morning? A few 206CCs, Astra TwinTop, a few Mercs and BMWs and Beetles. All with the tops on!
the reason for females not to have the top down is they will get to work with hair a mess.

Gone are the days where ladies wore scarves wrapped like Onassis and Marlyn Munroe used to wear (and so did my mother and we were bought up to) to keep your hair looking perfect and not loosing it as a hat gets lost in the breeze!

That is why I am sure alot of woman don't , as for the men! haven't got a clue why not? Most around us here do, but then the want the girls to look at their shoulders and the shinning bars!

Whirlygig
26th Jul 2006, 22:17
Already_discussed_here! (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231497&highlight=convertible)

Probably has less to do with not wanting one's hair to look a bit out of place and more to do with it being too hot and wanting the air-conditioning on.

It's the same reason as I've felt it was too hot to be riding a motorbike!

Cheers

Whirls

mocoman
26th Jul 2006, 23:11
lol,

Golf MkIII Cabriolet driver here.....:p

Superb, get the best of all worlds as long as you take advantage of it.

Rule One:

Roof down at every opportunity

Rule Two:

If it rains, drive faster

Rule Three:

See Rule One.......:E

(Driving the M3 most days with the roof most definately stowed.....)

MrWoollie
26th Jul 2006, 23:16
Gonzo and Orac

Like the style. My wife would love your way of doing business.

She is known as 'The Roof Nazi' and goes everywhere except in driving rain with roof off. In our (ex) MGF it was roof off even in the snow. Her approach to rain was.... the heavier the rain the faster I have to drive to stay dry. Worked for her but my head stuck up above the parapet and just got wetter!

When she sees people with roof on in perfectly fine weather the words she uses, would make the Navy Bosun proud. Plonker and Tw*t are the more polite.

MrW

G-CPTN
27th Jul 2006, 00:00
Used to own a 4-seater tourer. (Large) hood was a pain to put up and down (except when it would detach from the windscreen when travelling at speed :E ), so I frequently compromised by driving hood-up but sans side screens (the doors were low-cut). One wag described it as "The windiest form of transport known to man."
Later had a Sunbeam Rapier, which was also capable of being driven 'hood-up (fixed) but windows open' (there was no central pillar).
Lotus Seven was usually driven hood-down, except when transporting females in the rain. In heavy rain they STILL got wet, but at least I made an effort which (most) seemed to appreciate.

Buster Hyman
27th Jul 2006, 01:56
why the hell spend the money on one and not use it??

You mean, like indicators?http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/waffen/violent-smiley-090.gif

gupta
27th Jul 2006, 03:56
I remember when the BMW Mini Cabrio was introduced, shortly afterwards a satirical piece appeared along the lines of:

Anyone spotted driving a Mini Cabrio with the roof up will be apprehended & the car confiscated. They will be given a standard Mini and the Cabrio awarded to another person on the Cabrio waiting list.

John Eacott
27th Jul 2006, 05:45
You know very well that you can't have the hood down when you're using the Aircon. Probably says it in the handbook.

Hood down, aircon on auto, and heated seats on for early/late starts (05:00/21:00) when it gets a bit nippy. Best time of the day, the early moring run, when Mr Cameracar is still in bed and the fast straights can be used as such :cool: :ok:

Mind you, at least we have the climate to justify a rag top :p

Gonzo
27th Jul 2006, 06:53
TnT,

None of the cars I saw that morning were being driven by a lady. All men. Or perhaps one or two very masculine women....:confused:

My next thread is why many men seem to drive girly cars like the Beetle or 206CC etc! :=

tart1
27th Jul 2006, 07:31
the reason for females not to have the top down is they will get to work with hair a mess.

Not necessarily. My hair doesn't get blown much at all. Also, lots of women I see round here drive topless, so to speak! :ok: :ok:

spork
27th Jul 2006, 22:00
As it's one of the few areas left in life where you can still do what you like, maybe the grumpies can target other more important issues? This particular whinge has been done many a time here. It reminds me somewhat of the boy in the bath "discovered" by his mother - his response being, "It's mine, and I'll wash it as fast as I like."

G-CPTN
28th Jul 2006, 00:18
hit a rather deep puddle which turned the interior into an instant sauna, couldn't see anything for the steam coming through the floor.
The Lotus Seven was like that FROM NEW. With cycle-type front wings (mudguards) and the inevitable gap between the rear of the sidescreen and the hood, water thrown-up from puddles would hit the (wide) rear wings and be deflected into the cockpit. In severe wet weather, the interior was always a haze of water vapour.

cavortingcheetah
28th Jul 2006, 06:32
:hmm:

Not only do I allow my convertible to convert as often as possible; I also run the air conditioning at full blast as well and I throw all manner of stuff out of the vehicle. Why should my lovely machine become clutered up with debris, usually generated by a passenger anyway.
I have absolutely no wish to leave the nasty, boorish, arrogant, drunken, spotty, overweight and tattoed youth of today any sort of planet in which to grow up at all. These pages are always full of moans about the dreadfulness of the younger generation, well, says I, don't leave them any sort of a world in which to carry on their disgusting little habits. Why should I take care of their heritage when they won't even get off an underground seat for a pregnant woman!
The devil with their planet. I'll enjoy not worrying about mine!

Besides which, when the dumb dollie at the petrol station extolls about the delactable delights of motoring with the roof down; the repetition of some of the above always extracts a most satisfactory response.:p ;) (You would be amazed at how much of the general public in the queues at the cash till applaud such sentiments!):ok:

Barkly1992
29th Jul 2006, 06:24
And then there are the nuts like the woman who passed me the other evening on the way home from work.

Driving an Holden Astra convertable - top down yes you bet. Outsode air temp in Canberra at the time about 6 degrees; dark and slight drizzle.

But we were all impressed - including her male passenger.

:bored:

G-CPTN
29th Jul 2006, 07:19
But it wasn't SNOWING!

reverserunlocked
31st Jul 2006, 08:52
Merc SLK driver here....can't be doing with soft tops, try cleaning one after a bird has shat on it, not fun. The other thing is soft tops wobble horribly because the roof's gone.

Why would someone put up with a wobbling convertible that's impossible to clean after aerial bird crap assault all winter and then not put the roof down in summer??!!

My SLK is a hard top coupe for the winter and a drop top in summer, perfect.

You want it when?
31st Jul 2006, 18:02
If you had a real convertible instead of a girls car then when you put the top down it won't shake so much. Get an Audi A4! :ugh:

Only put the roof up when it's raining or when I can't get into the covered car park at work.

G-CPTN
31st Jul 2006, 18:20
A Fifth Gear (I think) review of the latest Jaguar drop-top said (Mike Brewer :yuk: ) that there was absolutely NO scuttle-shake.

Edited to say it was ITV's Pulling Power, not Channel Five.

ShyTorque
31st Jul 2006, 18:53
Don't see why anyone should get upset about anyone else does with their car hood, but then my little car doesn't have a hood. Open top, yes. Hood er, NO!

Before the drive :cool:
And after five minutes, I look like this :8
If it rains, more like this: :ooh: :eek: :{

Crepello
31st Jul 2006, 18:55
I toyed with the idea of a softtop but reckon the Texan summers are just too darned hot - unless you can take a shower at work. Against that, it'd be handy you've been parked in the sun all day.

Another reason was I couldn't find a convertible that I liked. But that may change when the retractable-hardtop 3-series coupe comes out...

Jerricho
31st Jul 2006, 20:43
I too have the hood down in anything other than driving rain. And you do get some funny looks

That's not because of the car Gonze :p

G-CPTN
31st Jul 2006, 20:57
Don't see why anyone should get upset about anyone else does with their car hood, but then my little car doesn't have a hood. Open top, yes. Hood er, NO!
I'm puzzled as to what road-car it could possibly be. My mind rages between a home-built special to an exotic supercar.

Gonzo
31st Jul 2006, 21:43
That's not because of the car Gonze :p

Oh joy.

He's back.

ShyTorque
31st Jul 2006, 23:04
I'm puzzled as to what road-car it could possibly be. My mind rages between a home-built special to an exotic supercar.

....... it's a special :)

G-CPTN
31st Jul 2006, 23:10
A (satisfactory) hood is the most difficult part of a special to achieve.
But you probably knew that . . .

TBirdFrank
31st Jul 2006, 23:42
Lexxity shouts at me when I go out all day with the top down. She reckons I should wear a hat and use sunscreen.

Wotser point of that then? If you ain't got the wind in yer hair it ain't open air motoring is it?

madherb
1st Aug 2006, 04:25
Definitely hood down - a splendid environment for my patented solar-powered torch in which to operate! (Available at a discount to Pruners, terms and conditions apply)

:ok: :ok:

M

lexxity
1st Aug 2006, 09:14
I didn't say you have to wear a hat, just sunscreen. Now bugger off back to your own forums.:}

Barkly1992
1st Aug 2006, 09:54
MAYDAY - MAYDAY - MAYDAY

Barkly1992 Barkly1992 Barkly1192

At home = cab/sav in hand = Brain failure - Jerricho is BACK.

How is the MIL?

:confused:

Blacksheep
2nd Aug 2006, 01:02
Convertible? A car without a roof? Its too sunny here for that, just forty miles north of the equator. Mad dogs and Englishmen spring to mind. :hmm:

Rollingthunder
2nd Aug 2006, 03:52
Wait....... Can you hear that?........ Yes, it's there.......

All the bikers laughing their heads off.

Lon More
2nd Aug 2006, 13:20
Followed a bimbo in a BMW convertible down the M2 the other day, 60 mp.h. in the outside lane, I could hear her stereo from 2 car lengths behind her, she couldn't see me in her mirror as it was set up so that she could check her make-up in it ( above also meant that she wasn't aware of the flashing blue lights and the siren of the ambulance behind her) I hope the crew reported her to the police. Would a 999 call to the police be appropriate in such a case or is there another number for less-serious offenses?

G-CPTN
2nd Aug 2006, 14:34
A saloon-car motor-racing colleague of mine had a way for dealing with such people. He would ease-up behind them until his bumper was gently touching the back bumper of the car in front, then accelerate hard so that the combined speed was raised significantly. He was well-skilled in this, having employed the technique often on the race-track. After a couple of minutes the subject was usually ready to give way when he backed-off.
Strangely none complained . . . (probably too un-nerved to get his number).