PDA

View Full Version : The end of it all.

Gnirren
26th Jul 2006, 14:31
Ok, so. Here's my theory on affairs leading up to the demise of life as we know it popelling us back to single-cell organisms for god knows how many eons.
1. Oil is running out. Can mankind adapt to this and replace oil with other resources? Nope, I don't think so because our demand is simply staggering. Basically the whole planet runs off of the stuff.
2. As oil gets more scarse and prices soar, countries with power and no oil will invade ultimately. They need oil and will take it if they can.
3. To produce enough biofuel and water/wind power large areas are needed. Why not invade a country and use it for these purposes? Africa for example could be turned into an enormous windmill. Africa wouldn't like it much of course but hey.
4. Wars rage. At some point or another it's inevitable that the red button is pressed. 100 megaton ka-boom.
You take it from there. Consider the up-and-coming india and china, are you prepared to downgrade your lifestyle so that all chinese families can own a car? Consider the climate that seems to be going mental. Consider the rainforrest that is in serious trouble already. Has out shortsighted and lazy lifestyle caught up with us or no? At the end of the day, it will come to one basic question as the population increases and resources decrease. Who has a right to live? Will countries fight each other for the right to exist as we bicker over insignificant matters while the last barrel of oil is burning? Phew... I think I'll have a lie down. You could argue that all these "facts" are bull and that the experts are wrong but personally I think you only need an overview of all these issues and to combine them using common sense. Disregarding specifics and numbers I think it's clear without a doubt that we are all in some serious trouble.

rotated
26th Jul 2006, 14:36
Time for another cold tinnie... :cool: :} :ok:

ORAC
26th Jul 2006, 14:50
For the sake of a few minutes...
1. Oil is running out. Can mankind adapt to this and replace oil with other resources? Nope, I don't think so because our demand is simply staggering. Basically the whole planet runs off of the stuff. Might as well have said the same about hay and horses. price might go up, but there is plenty of oil sands and other sources for a couple of hundred years, and it can be made from coal etc. This is elementary chemistry. Donīt sell up and move to the hills yet.
2. As oil gets more scarse and prices soar, countries with power and no oil will invade ultimately. They need oil and will take it if they can First off, its cheaper to buy it. Second, as with Iran and China, you just make a treaty with another big power. Mexican stand-off.

3. To produce enough biofuel and water/wind power large areas are needed. Why not invade a country and use it for these purposes? Africa for example could be turned into an enormous windmill. Africa wouldn't like it much of course but hey. Biofuel doesnīt need that much acreage, but, even if it did, the price rise you talk about would make it an economic crop. Might even manage to displace poppies. Forget the wind and water power from distant lands, the power loss when transmitting power makes it totally impractical. Iceland has looked at a superconducting link to the UK though to sell us thermally generated power. Maybe when the oil runs, though it might still not compete with nuclear.
4. Wars rage. At some point or another it's inevitable that the red button is pressed. 100 megaton ka-boom. See points 1, 2 and 3...

Consider the up-and-coming india and china, are you prepared to downgrade your lifestyle so that all chinese families can own a car?
Didnīt have to let the Japanese buy theirs, or the Koreans. Economics is not a zero sum game where one side has to lose. All can benefit. Otherwise weīd still be trading stone flints with each other.
Consider the climate that seems to be going mental. . No, just warming up a bit with a lot of people going mental. Look at some of the books about managing the change and even the advantages that can be gained.

As for the rest, read up on Malthus, and then lie down for a while.

Cheerio
26th Jul 2006, 14:51
Join me on the top of Lochnagar - we can use flint tools, and make fire. Rabbit and grouse are damn tasty........ And when my kids social education teacher comes along, spouting her crap about 'human rights' we can add her to the pot! (Scrawny though and not much eating, but at least it would shut her crappy rights rubbish up.) Sod 'human rights'... What about teaching kids the 'requirements of society' you stupid bag?

If we could get a sea change in thinking, it might not be too late. But we have to get away from this human this and human that nonsense.

What really burns my ass is that on one hand you hear that population is going exponential, just waiting for Malthus to be vindicated, yet whenever there is a decline in population, which I would have thought was a reasonable start, we open the bloody floodgates to any potential swollen belly to come and benefit from our largesse to allegedly prop up our failing capitalist infrastructure.

Something is going to give someday, global population management is what is needed. If we don't do it voluntarily, nature will do it for us, and nature doesn't give a stuff about human rights Mrs ********!

Sustainability - its the next great challenge for the human race, or we are out of here.
We need a system where the economy does not need growth, we have a finite resource, and any system based on growth is doomed to fail.
We need to have a population that can be sustained - clearly we are past that point of sustainability, and some serious re-evaluation of what we are doing to the earth needs to be done.

Hurry along that day........at least we will be shot of crap TV and liberal teachers.

Parapunter
26th Jul 2006, 14:56
I'll have a bit of that - Thomas/Robert knew his onions alright.

Checks please:D

Edited for incomplete comprehension of anything.