PDA

View Full Version : Two Nigerian airlines to operate U.S. route

Flying Touareg
26th Jul 2006, 11:57
THE Federal Government has designated two additional Nigerian airlines to the United States of America just as two U.S. airlines: Delta and Continental Airways are to start operations in Nigeria soon.

Designated are Bellview Airlines, which will fly to Newark, New Jersey and Arik Air, a start up carrier, which has approval to fly to Atlanta in addition to designation to the United Kingdom.

Also designated is Aero Contractors, which got some regional designations in addition to Malabo and Accra it is currently operating into.

Sources close to the domestic carriers confirmed the designation but would not give details.

Industry sources however disclosed that Arik Air was given provisional approval to fly to a small airport outside London to join Virgin Nigeria as Nigeria's second carrier to the UK.

Nigeria has dual designation pact with Britain, which permits two airlines from both countries to operate the routes between them.

The government has however reserved some lucrative routes, including London, New York, Dubai, Johannesburg and Amsterdam to Virgin Nigeria.

The designation of new airlines to the U.S. and UK indicates a new move by the government to break Virgin Nigeria's monopoly on the lucrative routes and create the opportunity for the country to get maximum benefits from them.

Arik Air, which bought former Nigeria Airways head office and is yet to commence even domestic operations may however face opposition from the industry for being favoured by government over other airlines.

Delta and Continental will join North American Airlines, which began non-stop flights into Nigeria two weeks ago.

A date is yet to be fixed for the airlines to start their operations in the country. But a senior official of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), who confirmed the development to reporters yesterday, said his organisation was working towards allotting slots to the new carriers.

North American Airlines (NAA) started flight operations into Lagos on July 17 with three flights per week from New York Airport to Lagos Airport.

Nigeria and the United States (U.S.) signed an Open Skies Agreement, which allows unlimited number of carriers from both countries to operate unlimited number of flights into each other's airspace.

Part of the agreement stated that each party should have the right to designate as many airlines as it wishes to conduct international air transportation or to withdraw or alter such designations. It however, requires that the designated airlines meet the conditions prescribed under the laws and regulations of international air transportation by each party considering the applications of the airlines.
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article05

surely not
26th Jul 2006, 20:09
At last the Federal Govt has made decisions!! Whether they are good or bad probably depends on where you are in the Nigerian aviation industry :)

So what aircraft are Arik going to use to London, the CRJ or the 737-300?? Ok only winding people up, I am sure that they are about to announce an order for long haul aircraft.

I am in shock...........................

Flying Touareg
28th Jul 2006, 06:47
The Airline Operators of Nigeria (AON), the umbrella group for domestic airlines yesterday took a swipe at the reported designation of some Nigerian airlines on select foreign routes, describing the action as everything but sincere.
AON Chairman and General Secretary, Dr. Steve Mahonwu and Capt. Mohammed Joji respectively, who addressed newsmen in Lagos yeaterday said government's designation of start-up airline, Arik Air as the second Nigerian carrier on the UK route was "a baseless, prejudicial, fraudulent and another huge denial and disservice to the yearnings of Airline Operators of Nigeria (AON) members who have been in front of the battle for upwards of 10 years".
Giving vent to their allegation, the AON officials noted that apart from Arik Air yet to fly for at least two years as required by law, they added that while Bellview Airlines with a track record of performance was given the Newark route, in New Jersey, United States of America, Arik Arik which is yet to commence operations, was designated on the Atlanta, Georgia route.
Meanwhile, the management of Arik Air also yesterday reacted to the AON poistion.
In a statement made available to THISDAY, the airline said "while it is not our intention to join issues with officials of the AON, however, we feel duty bound to correct misrepresentations and errors of fact.
"Sure, Arik Air is a start up airline, but the truth is that allocation of routes is based on available facilities; capability of the airline and the experience and competence of its professionals. At Arik Air, we have a surfeit of these. Stakeholders in the aviation industry acknowledge that Arik Air is the most capitalized airline in the country today. Besides, we have on our staff, experienced professionals, who have straddled the aviation industry world wide.; whose flying hours compare with the best in the world", the statement noted.
The airline pointed out that within a short while, it has been able to build an European style Air Operator Certificate (A.O.C), fully comply with all NCAA regulations, introduce brand new aircraft into Nigeria and refurbish the buildings and the hangar of the defunct Nigeria Airways.
Apart from these, the airline added that it is supporting the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology, Zaria with $2million; as well as train pilots and engineers just as it signed an agreement with Lufthansa Technik, the maintenance arm of Lufthansa Airlines for technical support.

"Contrary to the AON’s insinuation, we have a fleet of aircraft.
Indeed, our Boeing 737 aircraft are parked in London, while our brand new CRJ900 are in Montreal, Canada, awaiting the refurbishment of our facilities. Of course, we do have a reservation system, while arrangements are on to join IATA.
"Our appeal to all stakeholders in the aviation industry is to join hands and cooperate with the regulatory authorities towards ensuring that we have a safer sky. At Arik, that is our commitment", the statement concluded.
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=54277

flying 1der
28th Jul 2006, 13:51
Think it's great that Arik got designation, they've put their money where their mouth is and people (AON) need to stop hating. Unfortunately a lot of other airlines feel it's their right to fly intercontinental routes cause they've earned it. Well Arik has earned it too by spending and bringing new a/c to Nigeria. I wish them the best!! Also glad that bellview got something worthwhile, let's see how they do. Kudos to the Nigerian Govt.

surely not
28th Jul 2006, 15:12
Whilst I agree that Arik have put a lot of money into their start up and so far appear to be very proffessional in the way they go about things, I would have expected the response to include some indication of when, and with what, they will operate the International Long Haul route. All that was mentioned was the 737 and CRJ900, neither of which is a viable option for Lagos to London!!

As for the other airlines who haven't been granted anything, maybe they should look at their own houses and put them in order before complaining. It is very important for ALL of Nigerian aviation that those airlines which operate long haul do so to the very highest standards of customer service and safety. I have flown on 7 of the existing operators and all except VK, Aero and IRS (only seen their 737) should be ashamed of the condition of the interiors of some aircraft in their fleet. Liberal use of speed tape and/or locking wire to keep overhead lockers together, seats which have copious amounts of trim missing and surly cabin crew is not confidence building for passengers.

Just in case I am accused of bias by those who recognise who I am from my previous posts, I would point out that I am back in UK at the moment, hoping to return to Nigeria in the near future if required, so my comments are hopefully unbiased by association.

Captain Indomie
29th Jul 2006, 13:51
Hi guys, I actually think this is an excellent development. However, I seriously hope Arik air is given some sensible airport - a small airport at outside London. We all know that if the airline will not operate to a London airport with enough traffic then, It's the beginning of it's end. therefore, it will be interesting to know the airport the airline got.
I actually wonder why bellview hasn't been given an opportunity to operate to UK before now. Though we know Odukoya is a mad guy with a track record of cutting corners, but was Nigeria airways any better? The point is our government and the people of Nigeria never promote what is ours rather, what we see all the time is foreign operators being given free hands to do what they want. Moreover, I find out it's very easy for us to throw blames at our operators for cutting corners. The question is what happens to the regulatory body-NCAA who have consistently failed in their duties. They should in fact be ashamed of their existence as an organisation and as human beings.

GlobalFlyer
29th Jul 2006, 15:15
Hi guys, I actually think this is an excellent development. However, I seriously hope Arik air is given some sensible airport - a small airport at outside London. We all know that if the airline will not operate to a London airport with enough traffic then, It's the beginning of it's end. therefore, it will be interesting to know the airport the airline got.
I actually wonder why bellview hasn't been given an opportunity to operate to UK before now. Though we know Odukoya is a mad guy with a track record of cutting corners, but was Nigeria airways any better? The point is our government and the people of Nigeria never promote what is ours rather, what we see all the time is foreign operators being given free hands to do what they want. Moreover, I find out it's very easy for us to throw blames at our operators for cutting corners. The question is what happens to the regulatory body-NCAA who have consistently failed in their duties. They should in fact be ashamed of their existence as an organisation and as human beings.

Well it can't be that difficult to guess which airport it shall be...it's either London Stansted or London Luton, I believe both are within 40-50 minutes drive from central London. They are also both well equipped especially Stansted which also attracts some limited long haul traffic.

If Arik's long haul business plan relies on connecting traffic in the UK, then Stansted or Luton won't be profitable, but if it's aim is to attract passengers terminating their journey in the UK, than these airports are not bad at all.
I think it's a clever move by the government to facilitate another Nigerian airline on the UK route, without breaching its exclusivity agreement with VK on the London route (although Stansted and Luton are also in a way London!!).

Babalola Borishade
29th Jul 2006, 18:39
http://www.angolapress-angop.ao/noticia-e.asp?ID=459065

Now that Arik & Bellview have been offered US routes, where does this leave VK with regard to the JFK route? :cool:

femialpha
29th Jul 2006, 19:37
Your screen name caught my attention. Are you the minister of aviation? If you are not i would recommend you change your screen name or at least add a disclaimer even if you happen to bear the same name as the minister. Thank you.

Ray D'Avecta
29th Jul 2006, 20:56
Your screen name caught my attention. Are you the minister of aviation? If you are not i would recommend you change your screen name or at least add a disclaimer even if you happen to bear the same name as the minister. I will also contact my sources in Abuja to verify your identity and if anything questionable is found you will have yourself to blame. Thank you.

............haba!!!! :eek:

wetin be your own there? since when have you been appointed "username inspector"? Anybody is free to choose any username on pprune (although I do not support using other peoples real names, unless you happen to be the person), but for you to be making SSS type threats to the guy is going too far. Abeg, chill out!!!!!!!!!!!

BB - make u reconsider that name o,..........unless you be BB for real, and in that case, "welcome". You will learn a lot here.............

femialpha
30th Jul 2006, 00:39
I've edited my initial post if that makes you happy but I'm glad we agree that the use of that name MAY not be the best idea. As Nigerians we have the responsibility to check ourselves. He has not misrepresented himself yet but it is important for the sake of his integrity that he identify himself appropriately especially considering the high incidence of 'digital impersonation' in our community. If his profile had indicated he is located on the north pole i would not be concerned but he claims MMA as his base and I have every right to check if he is just a namesake or prankster.

Flying Touareg
30th Jul 2006, 08:30
Agreed that this is an anonymous forum,there should be some sanity in the system. we naija guys have to act responsibly and i have noticed alot of Nigerians are becoming aware of this forum. On the arik air thread, someone posted a thread bearing SANI ABACHA. Common guys, that was not nice.
Maybe we should start reporting such names to the moderator.

By the way, ADC seems to be making a silent re entry into the aviation market. I hear they will soon be going to the market to raise 2.5b naira!
And they have been most consistent in running adverts in recent times.
One other thing is that they seem to be exploiting the sokoto and yola routes very much.Most times, i hear ADCO on the radio reporting a minimum of 70-80souls. Any comments?

18left
30th Jul 2006, 10:25
[quote=Flying Touareg]The Airline Operators of Nigeria (AON), the umbrella group for domestic airlines yesterday took a swipe at the reported designation of some Nigerian airlines on select foreign routes, describing the action as everything but sincere.
AON Chairman and General Secretary, Dr. Steve Mahonwu and Capt. Mohammed Joji respectively, who addressed newsmen in Lagos yeaterday said government's designation of start-up airline, Arik Air as the second Nigerian carrier on the UK route was "a baseless, prejudicial, fraudulent and another huge denial and disservice to the yearnings of Airline /quote]

Eh was joji expecting designation to newyork with his EMB110 bandits?
Jojis only expertise in aviation is in filling accident investigation forms,and as for the Doctor Steve without and airline??????????? was he going to fly them to newyork on his back.
Only in nigeria is the chairman of AON not in any airline
you can see the mediocres and jokers who are in aviation,instead of setting up a comedy show where thier talent will be more useful.

GlobalFlyer
30th Jul 2006, 15:21
AON can just shut up. Just because these airlines operated and provided air services for travelers in Nigerian at a time VK or ACN were not around does not mean they have proved themselves to be more worthy of operating long haul flights.

Arik is not even airborne yet and it has already achieved: maintenance facility, flight training initiatives with NCAT, brand new aircraft burning less fuel and environmentally friendly, etc etc.

I was initially opposed to 7-years exclusivity for Virgin Nigeria on some lucrative routes but now I a support it. Nigerian airlines had years to consolidate, or team up with international carriers, do something beyond their usual wining but they have generally failed.

This latest designation of Arik and Bellview is therefore a step in the right direction and is consistent with the government's ongoing aviation reforms.

femialpha
30th Jul 2006, 17:39
Thank goodness the FG made a good choice this time. I just hope they back it up by creating an atmosphere enabling the success of these outfits. Now bellview can better utilize its 767's. Any word on what kind of equipment Arikair intends to use for this operation? I hope they don't intend to use those rusty Nigerian airways A310's!:D

flying 1der
31st Jul 2006, 14:33
By the way, ADC seems to be making a silent re entry into the aviation market. I hear they will soon be going to the market to raise 2.5b naira!
And they have been most consistent in running adverts in recent times.
One other thing is that they seem to be exploiting the sokoto and yola routes very much.Most times, i hear ADCO on the radio reporting a minimum of 70-80souls. Any comments?[/quote]

As a shareholder in ADC, i was very curious to see what they were up to. Like you mentioned lots of ads etc, I read in the papers that they were trying to raise the N2.5bn, but what i wondered was how they planned to do it? the market isn't very receptive to airlines, especially when issurance companies are having a hard time raising N2bn. So what ADC doing different? they haven't paid dividends in 4 years and the stock hasn't moved in the same time. Do you really think that investors will back the same management team? Would be curious to know how they plan to do it. I looked at their numbers and tried to back into them and frankly it didn't make sense, they are all over the place. If the average Nigerian investors pays close attention then it might be hard for them to raise N500m let alone N2.5bn, but I wish them the best, and hope they can make a real go for it!:ok:

femialpha
31st Jul 2006, 14:39
I would be skeptical about investing in a stagnant company like ADC. It is obvious that our business men still do not understand how to adapt to changing market places. I don't think they can survive in the long term unless they merge with another carrier, but then again this is Nigeria - the place that defies logic.

18left
2nd Aug 2006, 06:27
I hear aero has been designated on long haul to the U.S
Hmmm this i have got to see!the only water they are used to is the niger!
Though i do have faith that they will exceed on such a route,and as a rapidly expanding and evolving airline the skies the limit
good luck aero and go for it:ok:

Tokunbo
2nd Aug 2006, 14:09
18L,
Come now, aero also fly all the way over the Gulf of Guinea between Port Harcourt and Malabo/Bioko :E . I see they've also started a new twice-weekly schedule from Lagos to Bamako. Can't really believe they'll be flying to the USA (Canada perhaps with their new owners - CHC ;) )

Flying Touareg
3rd Aug 2006, 22:31
There are are some talks goin round town that The FG might have breached the exclusivity agreement it had with VK by designating other carriers to fly the US route.And VK doesnt seem to be happy.
It just occurred to me that the exclusivity agreement was done withe the ex aviation minister and perhaps borisade also has his own exclusivity partners:}

Flying Touareg
4th Aug 2006, 16:24
from thisday:

There are indications that Virgin Nigeria Airways (VNA) may protest the designation of some domestic airlines on some of the international routes exclusively reserved for it by the Federal Government to attract investment into the airline.
In the Memorandum of Mutual Understanding (MEMU) in 2004 between the airline's core investor, Virgin Atlantic Airways (VAA) and the Federal Government, the New York, London, Dubai, Jeddah and Johannesburg routes had been exclusively reserved for seven and half years for Virgin Nigeria.
However, the Federal Government had about two weeks ago reportedly designated start-up airline, Arik Air, Bellview Airlines and Aero Contractors on some of the reserved routes.
THISDAY gathered from a Ministry of aviation source at the venue of the just concluded aviation conference in Dakar, Senegal that officials of the airline may formally protest the breach of the MEMU, just one year after the carrier commenced operations.
The source noted that government's decision to designate the airlines is indeed unsettling the airline's investors, many of whom were said to have been compelled to invest in the carrier largely because of the seven and half years exclusive right to the routes. Some of the investors, who are institutional investors, are said to be worried that government's action may indeed be a disincentive to investors in future if agreements reached are violated with impunity.
Although British entrepreneur, Sir Richard Branson whose Virgin Atlantic Airways is the core investor with 49 per cent equity in Virgin Nigeria is not known to have formally made any public comment on the Federal Government's stand, it is believed that he may make his position known soon.
It is however recalled that the route reservation policy did not get the blessing of the National Assembly when the airline was about to be set up but the Federal Government through the former Aviation Minister, Mallam Isa Yuguda went ahead with its inclusion in the MEMU that snowballed into the birth of Virgin Nigeria.
Since his assumption of office, the incumbent minister, Dr.Babalola Borishade has not hidden his resolve to jettison all policies that do not favour not only the country but domestic airlines.
To give practical _expression to that resolve, the government last month cancelled the three additional frequencies given to British Airways last year.
It was however gathered that in the case of Virgin Nigeria, Borishade had repeatedly assured that the government would keep its part of the agreement with the investors vis-a-vis route reservation.
In the MEMU, the government had undertaken " that as long as VAL remains the Strategic Investor in and/or VAA remains the Technical Partner to the Airline,it will designate the airline as flag carrier with the full benefit and advantages of such statuson the prime routes for which it has the right of first refusal to operate the available frequencies.
The prime routes referred to are: London, New York, Jeddah, Dubai and
Johannesburg; grant the Airline the right to operate,exclusively out of Nigeria in respect of the above prime routes for a period of seven years and six months from the date of commencement of the Airline's flight operations..."

AVSEC
5th Aug 2006, 19:11
I just hope that these newly designated airlines,use proven Indigenous aviation security services providers that already operate within Nigeria,and have been making quite a name for themselves.

Airlines like British airways,South african Airways and Iberia have,and are amongst the best guarded and security screened airlines operating out of Nigeria.

Where they incurr immigrational fines,and penalties for non compliance especially in the USA by customs,it could make the route unprofitable for them.

I look forward to seeing if Arik and Aero contractors will follow the steps of Bellview and Virgin Nigeria,or heed my advise.

Ready
7th Aug 2006, 02:02
I could be interested in joining Virgin Nigeria for their long haul operations when the hiring resumes again if ever, but what kind of future holds for them if they are never granted routes to North America?
Where could I get info on their terms and conditions for the a340 drivers at the moment and the life style in Lagos for expats and so on?
Thanks in advance!

madherb
9th Aug 2006, 05:27
Daily Champion (Lagos)
August 8, 2006
Posted to the web August 8, 2006
Felix Nwaneri
Lagos
OFFICIALS of the Federal Ministry of Aviation are still maintaining sealed lips over the alleged breach of the Memorandum of Mutual Undertaking (MMU) signed between the ministry and the country's new flag carrier, Virgin Nigeria Airways.
Aviation Ministry, it would be recalled recently designated two domestic carriers, Arik Air and Bellview Airlines on routes exclusively reserved for Virgin Nigeria.
According to the MMU signed between the Federal Government and Virgin Atlantic Airways of United Kingdom (UK), technical and strategic partners of the airline in 2004, both parties agreed that Virgin Nigeria will be designated as the country's flag carrier with full benefits and advantages of such status.
Specifically, Section A(i) of the 11-page document stated: "The FGN (Federal Government of Nigeria) undertakes, that as long as Virgin Atlantic Limited, (VAL) remains the strategic investor in and/or Virgin Atlantic Airways (VAA) remains the technical partner for the airline, it will designate the airline as a flag carrier with the full benefits and advantages of such status on the prime routes for it has the right of first refusal to operate the available frequencies."
The prime routes referred to are: London, New York, Jeddah, Dubai and Johannesburg.
Virgin Nigeria was also granted the right to operate exclusively out of Nigeria in respect of the prime routes for a period of seven and half years from the date of commencement of its flight operations.However, the recent designation of the two domestic carriers have been described by industry experts as a breach of the 2004 MMU signed by both parties even as Airline Operators of Nigeria (AON) faulted it, insisting that due process was not followed.
Secretary-General of AON, Capt. Mohammed Joji, who reacted to the development recently, insisted that Arik Air unlike Bellview is a start-up airline and should not have been designated on the Lagos-London or Lagos-U.S. routes.
According to him, the airline is required by international aviation regulations to operate on the domestic routes for at least two years before it could be designated on the regional or intercontinental routes.