PDA

View Full Version : How to help a colleague?

m00ving_on
26th Jul 2006, 11:36
Has anyone had recent experience in dealing with an emotionally unstable colleague? What, if anything, have you done about it?

As an example, I work with someone who has mentioned having suicidal thoughts, tells everyone he's on anti-depressants, and generally behaves strangely. Some of us have advised him to seek help, which he has done, but a year on, his behaviour has not changed.

Sadly, our managers are aware of it but are turning a blind eye to it all.

lexxity
26th Jul 2006, 14:38
Do you have a friendly and compassionate company doc? If so can you get your collegue refferred through the doc to more help and time off?

Good luck to your collegue.

apaddyinuk
26th Jul 2006, 16:47
As much as I feel for the guy, at the end of the day its clearly not safe to have someone like himself working on an aircraft. What if he suddenly decides to end it all and take everyone with him. He does have access to a flightdeck and he could easily wander in and grab the jemmy. Slightly sensationalist but worse things have happened.
The company should really be taking him in hand and ground him immediately (it may not be the best thing immediately for him but in the long run it may very well help) and find him some support and assistance.
BA has a service called Crew Care where by if we feel the world is getting on top of us we can call this number which is manned by crew volunteers and they will do their best to help you. I have also (and some have questioned whether I should have done this or not but I felt it was right) had a quiet word with someones manager as I was concerned about their condition. This persons manager took control of the situation and six months later I had this colleague come up to me at work and thank me.
I think the worst thing anyone can do is just ignore it but its also not nice to have to get involved.