PDA

View Full Version : Superb aviation story... (or is it?)

Lord_Flashheart
26th Jul 2006, 10:31
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50901

Greenmonkey
26th Jul 2006, 10:58
my Condolences to the sparrows family and friends

Rip :(

GGV
26th Jul 2006, 11:01
Yes, but let's not forget the ineptitude of the SAA which shows no sign of getting to grips with this scourge - 'bout time those feather-bedded civil servants got off their posteriors!

Farmer 1
26th Jul 2006, 11:08
Howard R. Trojanowski, a Pierre-bound, 2-year-old field sparrow who had been licensed to fly since two weeks after he was hatched and had logged over 60,000 flying hours, departed from a ledge near Sioux Falls Regional Airport at 11:04 a.m. CST.

He was obviously using a very long pencil. How widespread is this practice? Is the FAA aware of it?

The SSK
26th Jul 2006, 11:08
I can't believe there were no witnesses to the 'accident'. This has all the signs of a classic cover-up to me.

Greenmonkey
26th Jul 2006, 11:14
hmm another failure of the "Glass Proximity Warning System" I think some changes need to be made, I had a Bird fly into my glass a few weeks ago, However it was able to make an Emergency landing in the nextdoor neighbours garden.

bar fly
26th Jul 2006, 11:30
Yeah I had the same thing happen but the bird perfectly executed his emergency landing on water procedures. He even managed to drag himself out onto the side of my pond before I could fish him out - tremendously brave and skillful piece of airmanship under pressure. He then sat for about 10 minutes without moving (presumably filling in his post accident report forms) before continuing with his original flight plan. :D

ExSimGuy
26th Jul 2006, 11:47
If WX-radar can pick up a patch of hot water-charged air, how come it can't be adapted to detect a sheet of solid lead-doped toughened glass 6-8mm or more thick:mad:

The SAA should be spending research time and money on things like this to make aviation safer - money spent on "memorial bird-feeders" would be better spent on "memorial" anti-collision systems

[/RANT]

(RIP Howard, I was one of your admirers when you got your command, after all that time working at it. I'll never forget the inspiration you gave us all)

ayrprox
26th Jul 2006, 11:56
i have also seen this dramatic yet preventable occurrence. on this occasion it would seem that the location was a known problem area though, as the AAIB cat was there within seconds to remove the wreckage for closer inspection!:}

AcroChik
26th Jul 2006, 12:00
60,000, eh? Sparrows are all compulsive pencil-whippers!

This is a funny/sad thing. When I was just a wee lass we had a weekend house at Millbrook, New York, "the country," where this happened during each migratory season. The sound of a little bird whacking into a window was sometimes quite startling. We had more than one cracked pane. I used to pick up stunned birds and put them in a shoebox with cotton batting until they were ready to fly again. Buried a few, too.

goshdarnit
26th Jul 2006, 12:14
This does not happen to anywhere near the same extent with Robins. I know people are going to attack me for simply being anti-Sparrow, and opening up the whole Robin v. Sparrow thing, but I am certain it is an inherent design fault.
I do not know the figures off the top of my head (some anorak no doubt will) but I am certain that the stats will back up my assertion.

GDI

G-CPTN
26th Jul 2006, 12:37
This might be controvertial, but I think it's an intelligence question. What's the average IQ of a Sparrer vs a Robin.
After all, the Robin's got the T shirt.

goshdarnit
26th Jul 2006, 12:42
A Robin is more reliant, too :)

pulse1
26th Jul 2006, 12:47
Heard the sound of an impact the other night, just after dark. The emergency services (wife) rushed to the scene but could find no sign of the wreckage and wondered if it was vandals throwing something at the window.

The next morning I could clearly see the outline of an owl on the window glass. I hope this doesn't mean that they operate without a night rating or with insufficient training. Anyway, he clearly survived but probably had a big headache.

The SSK
26th Jul 2006, 12:57
Sparrows are tough little bu66ers. If the Seldom Seen Kat brings a limp and lifeless spuggy into the house, I give it a 70% chance of staging a miraculous recovery (once itís been prised out of SSKatís jaws), and that allows for it braining itself on the window on the way out.
Tits are another matter, theyíve snuffed it as soon as theyíre caught. I think this story is really about a Tit, but the poor, sensitive Cousins canít bring themselves to utter that word in what they regard as polite company.

goshdarnit
26th Jul 2006, 13:05
SSK,
please keep us abreast of any developments....

Foss
26th Jul 2006, 13:13
Sorry to hear that the sparrow has swapped one set of wings for another, a tragic yet heroic accident. I hear that he was trying to avoid a local school before the fatal crash, and sacrificed himself to save others.

A local resident pheasant said he had been left stunned, depressed and anxious after hitting mysterious 'glass' and wanted to ask why Health and Safety hadn't explained this danger to him when he was a chick.

Fos ;)

G-CPTN
26th Jul 2006, 13:24
when he was a chick.
So a trans-sexual pheasant?

Windy Militant
26th Jul 2006, 13:29
Wouldn't have happened if he was using GPS and was fitted with a Mode S transponder. :=

Buster Hyman
26th Jul 2006, 13:35
Well there you go. And here am I thinking that a Sidewinder was deadlier than a Sparrow.:rolleyes:

Foss
26th Jul 2006, 13:52
Maybe it was a macho thing, like, look how close I can fly to this window, maybe he was playing chicken with his mates.

Hat, coat and all that

Fos

G-CPTN
26th Jul 2006, 13:54
look how close I can fly to this window,
He found it to be a pane.

Foss
26th Jul 2006, 14:07
What, like a pane in the glass kinda thing.

The transexual pheasant said in an interview with local press that his drill for crash landing instructed him to shout a lot and crash into a tree, and hope for the best. If it worked out, then he was told to make it look that it'd meant to look that, and he was an experienced pilot who knew exactly what he was doing.

Fos

Buster Hyman
26th Jul 2006, 14:12
I'm suprised no one has mentioned that a coughing Chicken distracted the Sparrow...

goshdarnit
26th Jul 2006, 14:35
One would hope it wasn't a choking chicken, or a pheasant plucker, that distracted him.

Mudfoot
26th Jul 2006, 14:42
Perhaps the sparrow was carrying a coconut and, being overweight, couldn't maneuver quickly enough to avoid the collision. Unless it was an Afrikaan sparrow...

Overcoat, lawnchair, blaa blaa

GearDown&Locked
26th Jul 2006, 15:41
Last week I almost had a mid-road collision with a swallow. My passengers (wife and daughter) observed in shock the swallow coming straight at us and making a very very late right turn as we were preparing to brace for impact.

I've got the feeling that this stunt was made deliberately but I can't prove it, and didn't manage to get its reg numbers too :mad:

I blame the ATC.

GD&L

lexxity
26th Jul 2006, 15:49
I blame doves, they started this practice, at least in my garden anyway. I have a dove who thinks he is on jackass for he is forever crashing into windows and falling out of trees. I suspect he is distributing this material via migratory birds and we are seeing more copycat incidents. I blame parents today.

frostbite
26th Jul 2006, 18:09
Same here. Almost always doves, leaving a huge grey splodge on the glass.

About 50% fatalities but they don't go to waste because the vixen grabs them - and leaves the head and thousands of feathers all over my grass!

G-CPTN
26th Jul 2006, 18:20
Over the last few years we have acquired a growing colony of woodpigeons resident in our garden. They MUST be raising young somewhere, although their nest-building efforts are 'haphazard' at best, and hopeless as a norm. Sure they copulate (frequently), but we never seem to SEE any youngsters.
And as for 'stealth', they spend most of the day perched on an arch, from which the raptors can pick them off before they've registered any danger. Sitting ducks one might say. I've watched it happen several times. They really ARE descended from dinosaurs with their slow reactions.

Foss
26th Jul 2006, 19:04
Effing woodpigeons. About half a dozen do a low fly past every bloody day, in tight formation, bank round the corner of the house at extremely low level, and only take evasive action from my head because I've spilled my tea on my hand and yelped.
Luckily they don't bomb, although there could be effective anti-aircraft fire shortly.
I blame it on the ATC who lives next door, poor control I'd say.

Fos
with shotgun at port arms

Mycroft
30th Jul 2006, 00:42
This does not happen to anywhere near the same extent with Robins. GDI

European robins (as opposed to their yankee namesakes) are very territorial, so you will only have one robin (or at most a family) to strength test your windows; whereas spadgers do it wholesale. I tend to use domestic birdstrike as a good reason not to clean the windows.

rotated
30th Jul 2006, 03:18
PIERRE, SD Rotty Press

In what bereaved relatives of Howard R. Trojanowski are calling a travesty of justice and a slur of his fair name, possible charges of domestic terrorism are being levied in a fresh suit by the FBI (Federal Bird Investagators).

SAA Commissioner Vincent Stivolo expressed extreme concern at the fresh allegations, which although do not contradict his own agency's findings certainly detract once again from the role SAA investigations may play in determining the true cause of many unexplained fatal mishaps.

Details of the charges have not yet been made public, but reliable sources indicate FBI investigators believe Mr. Trojanowski may have deliberately altered his flight path in a planned attempt to crash into the dwelling at St. Ray Street and Longfellow Drive. Mr. Trojanowski may have chosen this dwelling as his target, sources reveal, because it is home to a Mr. Lickass F. Cat, known bird antagonizer and cat about town who had recently given quite vocal support of local cataticians in an attempt to repeal the songrights of many local species, including sparrows.

Suspicions were aroused at the FBI after the preliminary accident report was released, when a former unnamed acquaintance of Mr. Trojanowski came forward with statements contradictory to the official findings. Although this information is being held confidential, it has been leaked to Rotty Press that among other information, it was revealed the former cohort and Mr. Trojanowski had shared the same bush in their youth, until "mutual differences" forced Mr. Trojanowski to leave the bush and seek asylum elsewhere.

When contacted the FBI would not comment officially, except to state that the investigation was ongoing, and urged anyone with further information to contact his agency and assist in substantiating the charges... :}

ehwatezedoing
30th Jul 2006, 06:44
It's a cover up! a conspiracy. This Sparrow was shot down!

G-CPTN
30th Jul 2006, 06:51
No! That was the Robin. Shot by the Sparrow (with his bow and arrow).

"Who killed Cock Robin?" "I," said the Sparrow,
"With my bow and arrow, I killed Cock Robin."
"Who saw him die?" "I," said the Fly,
"With my little eye, I saw him die."
"Who caught his blood?" "I," said the Fish,
"With my little dish, I caught his blood."
"Who'll make the shroud?" "I," said the Beetle,
"With my thread and needle, I'll make the shroud."
"Who'll dig his grave?" "I," said the Owl,
"With my pick and shovel, I'll dig his grave."
"Who'll be the parson?" "I," said the Rook,
"With my little book, I'll be the parson."
"Who'll be the clerk?" "I," said the Lark,
"If it's not in the dark, I'll be the clerk."
"Who'll carry the link?" "I," said the Linnet,
"I'll fetch it in a minute, I'll carry the link."
"Who'll be chief mourner?" "I," said the Dove,
"I mourn for my love, I'll be chief mourner."
"Who'll carry the coffin?" "I," said the Kite,
"If it's not through the night, I'll carry the coffin."
"Who'll bear the pall? "We," said the Wren,
"Both the cock and the hen, we'll bear the pall."
"Who'll sing a psalm?" "I," said the Thrush,
"As she sat on a bush, I'll sing a psalm."
"Who'll toll the bell?" "I," said the bull,
"Because I can pull, I'll toll the bell."
All the birds of the air fell a-sighing and a-sobbing,
When they heard the bell toll for poor Cock Robin.
That's rubbish!

ThreadBaron
30th Jul 2006, 09:24
Mine's bigger than yours!!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/threadbaron/articles-OwlStories-Collision_2.jpg

The picture was taken in 2002 by Henk Post, in Holland.
It is a long eared owl, or 'Asio otus'.The window is in the room of the
director of an institution for the mentally disabled. The room is on the second floor of a building which is surrounded by trees. On the window sill some
carved wooden birds and the owl likely tried to attack these "birds" and crashed into the window.
The owl was not found, so he probably survived with a headache...