PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Jetstar International

Thylacine
26th Jul 2006, 05:40
Jano Gibson
SMH
July 26, 2006 - 12:10PM
Budget airline Jetstar will charge long-haul passengers extra for blankets and pillows as part of its push into international markets - but promotional fares to Asian destinations will cost as little as $169.
Shortly after the promotional fares were announced, the Jetstar website crashed temporarily as bargain hunters piled into the site.
A Jetstar spokesman said more than 100,000 unique visitors had tried to access the site within two hours of tickets going on sale at 10.30am.
From late November, Jetstar will fly to six destinations - Bangkok and Phuket in Thailand, Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, Osaka in Japan, Honolulu in Hawaii and Bali.
As part of its International Launch Sale, which runs until midnight on Friday, or until seats sell out, Jetstar is offering all-inclusive, one-way trips from Sydney to Bali for $169, to Phuket and Ho Chi Minh City for $199 and to Osaka for $249.
It is also offering one-way flights from Melbourne to Bangkok for $199, while Honolulu prices are yet to be announced.
The first flights are due to depart from Melbourne on November 23 and Sydney the following day.
After the promotional period ends, all-inclusive, one-way ticket prices will rise to $409 for Bali, $439 for Bangkok and Phuket, $489 for Ho Chi Minh City and $549 for Osaka, with Honolulu prices yet to be announced.
As with its Australian domestic version, the cheap tickets will not include extras such as meals, in-flight entertainment or even blankets.
Passengers will have to pay $25 for a "Feed Me" package, which will include two meals and a non-alcoholic drink, for all but the Bali flights. They will cost $15.
In-flight entertainment kits - including portable video on demand and headsets - will cost another $10, while so-called "Comfort me" packs -with a blanket, pillow and amenity kit - will be charged at $7 each.
Jetstar CEO Alan Joyce said the optional meal, entertainment and comfort costs were all about giving passengers more choice.
"In economy class, a Jetstar customer flying long haul will have the choice to pre-select at the time of booking a variety of meal and entertainment extras on top of a low-base fare to package cost effectively their own individual flying experience," he said.
Those who choose to wing it without buying the extras might get hungry but they should never get thirsty.
"Each passenger will receive a bottle of water upon boarding and there will be a water fountain available in the economy cabin for passengers to use throughout the flight," Jetstar said in a press release today.

Pushback
26th Jul 2006, 06:10
wouldn't go to Bali even if it was free!:}

RENURPP
26th Jul 2006, 06:17
100,000 unique visitors Got that bit right.

All off to Bali, Ha Ha Ha, I am with you Pushback, let them have it.
Ooooh:ooh::ooh::ooh: and a FREE water fountain, thats almost business class.

Howard Hughes
26th Jul 2006, 06:22
Why don't they just go $169+$25+$7+Taxes =The fare.:hmm:

I am not normally one for government intervention, but I think it is high time the travelling public were given the actual cost of flying in advertising!:=

This practice of adding a $30 fuel levy in the 'taxes' is ludicrous, surely the cost of fuel is part of the actual cost of travel! I don't even think the government taxes should be added in seperately, companies should only be able to advertise the 'fly away' or 'final' price.:*

PS: Stand by for 300 people standing at check in with a pillow under their arm....;) Will cabin baggage size limits be enforced?

coaldemon
26th Jul 2006, 06:22
I assume that there will be a memo to keep the cabin cold to enhance sales of blankets. Just what you need on arrival in Bali a blanket and comfort kit:suspect:

Howard Hughes
26th Jul 2006, 06:28
Although keeping the cabin cool would have an impact on beverage sales...;)

Disco Stu
26th Jul 2006, 06:29
How much will they try and charge for a sheet of 'dunny' paper:rolleyes:

And can you imagine someone being asked for their Amex card before they will give them a hit with the Defib after they've had a hearty.

Sometimes I wonder if Joyce and O'Leary (Ryanair) are having a private contest to see whose airline can out do the other in the gouging stakes.:=

Disco Stu

Pass-A-Frozo
26th Jul 2006, 06:39
This practice of adding a $30 fuel levy in the 'taxes' is ludicrous, surely the cost of fuel is part of the actual cost of travel! I don't even think the government taxes should be added in seperately, companies should only be able to advertise the 'fly away' or 'final' price.:*

Totally agree HH. Your local shop isn't allowed to put a label (correct me if I'm wrong) on the shelf advertising a product with a price that doesn't include GST, so why should airlines (or car dealerships for that matter) be able to advertise $169 *plus taxes, fuel levy, food costs, pillows

What's next? Free flights to Bali!Plus entry cover charge of $100, cost of seat (compulsory) of $60, cost of seat belt (compulsory) $9

If you have to pay it, it should be in the price. If it's optional, list it as optional. So Food, pillows etc - I have no problem with the extra charge. "Fuel" , "Taxes" and other crap you can't choose, should be included in the price. Free markets only work when the consumer is given all the right info. It's NOT right to keep letting first time consumers of an airline seat (Joe and Mary from Mt. Druitt "Wow, we can finally afford to go on an airplane for a holiday" (little do they know that the price they saw on the advertising board is not what they have to pay)) find out after making the decision to travel that the final price will actually be 20-30% more than what they thought!

Angle of Attack
26th Jul 2006, 07:04
Of course they will start off with these ridiculously low fares, they need to to get further the publics perception its a dirt cheap Airline. The fares after the promotion dont seem all that cheap though, Of note $549 one way to Osaka, well thats $1099 return, and I'm guessing plus taxes which conservatively would be $200?? Thats around $1300. My mate has been looking around for fares to Osaka, you can get return for less than $1300 on a full service carrier, granted its with a transit somewhere. In fact the cheapest was around $900 all inclusive but even Singair and the like can get for around $1100-1200 inclusive. Its all about perception my firends and I suspect particulary with the Japanese market they will fail, holiday destinations such as Bali and the likes I think probably will go ok, but Im doubting Japan is going to work Australian didnt..

Flying Tiger
26th Jul 2006, 07:23
The first post refers to "all-inclusive" one way ticket prices. On reading this, the implication is that the "plus taxes and charges" bit is not the way Jetstar plan to do things.

I recently purchased a Jetstar flight for my father and on the website only one price was quoted, and that was the price I paid. There were no extra taxes and charges. All they did was identify the amount of GST paid. This is what the receipt says:

Jetstar base fare 253.64
Other Fees 0.00
Subtotal 253.64
GST Payable 25.36
Total Price 279.00 (this was the initial price quoted)

I am a Qantas pilot but fair's fair - Jetstar do not engage in the plus taxes and charges deception. They don't even do it for staff travel fares, whereas QF happily gouge their own staff in this respect.

So in the context of the above, I guess a few posts on this thread are emotive propaganda cr@p and really don't deserve to be on public display...

B A Lert
26th Jul 2006, 07:56
The first post refers to "all-inclusive" one way ticket prices. On reading this, the implication is that the "plus taxes and charges" bit is not the way Jetstar plan to do things.
I recently purchased a Jetstar flight for my father and on the website only one price was quoted, and that was the price I paid. There were no extra taxes and charges. All they did was identify the amount of GST paid. This is what the receipt says:
Jetstar base fare 253.64
Other Fees 0.00
Subtotal 253.64
GST Payable 25.36
Total Price 279.00 (this was the initial price quoted)
I am a Qantas pilot but fair's fair - Jetstar do not engage in the plus taxes and charges deception. They don't even do it for staff travel fares, whereas QF happily gouge their own staff in this respect.
So in the context of the above, I guess a few posts on this thread are emotive propaganda cr@p and really don't deserve to be on public display...

Have another look as the total cost does not become clear until well into the transaction. Here's a cut and paste from JQs website when I just tried to make a booking:

"All Prices are quoted in Australian dollars.

Prices exclude airfare-related surcharges, fees and taxes.

Please note that, for Domestic Australian flights, $2 (AUD) per passenger per flight segment will be added to your fare paid by credit or charge card if you select payment by card on the purchase screen. For International flights to/from Australia $4 (AUD/NZD) per passenger per flight segment will be added to fares paid by credit or charge card if you select payment by card on the purchase screen."

Then you get to another page and find a huge increase to the fare quoted:

DEPARTURE
SYD - SGN
$337
per Passenger
Tue, 16 Jan 07
15:00 JQ 7
RETURN
SGN - SYD
$37
per Passenger
Thu, 15 Mar 07
21:40 JQ 8
$498.45
DEPARTURE total
Adult $337.00
Surcharges, Fees & Tax $161.45
Airfare per Adult $498.45
Subtotal
1 × Adults $498.45
$163.85
RETURN total
Adult $37.00
Surcharges, Fees & Tax $126.85
Airfare per Adult $163.85
Subtotal1 × Adults $163.85
$0 EXTRAS total
$662.30TOTAL

There is no break up of the extras they claim are added. And if you want something to eat over the 8 plus hour flights, it is $25 each sector with a further $10 each way for some entertainment, not to mention the further $7 each way for a blanket.

If that is 'inclusive charging', I am Geoff Dixon!:yuk:

B A Lert
26th Jul 2006, 08:18
Can anyone say how Jetstar is able or permitted to advertise, take bookings, sell fares, and collect the money, for services for which it is not approved to operate? Sounds a bit dodgy to me. Will they refund money with interest if they can't perform as advertised should they fail to get their AOC or other approvals?

Is East West Loco able to shed some light/

low_earth_orbit
26th Jul 2006, 08:34
The ads I've heard on the radio say the fares subject to regulatory approval - so I guess they're pretty confident of getting the requisite approvals in time - otherwise they'll be some poultry products on faces at Jet*

OCCR
26th Jul 2006, 13:03
Dont forget that there is NO fule levy on Jet*
QF subsidise them..........
we pay it on domestic and international QF yet nothing on Jet*

fulmar
26th Jul 2006, 14:36
Hmm…. Having read this thread and also the feature on “The Age” website regarding the breakdown of the Jetstar website due to huge overloads I idly tried out the site and, lo and behold, got on to it.
My son loves and adores Club Med in Bali so I tried a booking. Gulp: five days in mid December $24 each round trip. OK, OK, that’s not the full fare. The full fare for two adults and 1 child is: tickets $72. Meals (“Feed me”) $102, Credit card surcharge $24, fees and taxes $798. Total $996. That’s for three people and we have seat assignments. Quick shout to Mrs Fulmar and check of school holiday schedule (and school has finished then) and we’re booked.
I’ve used Jetstar a number of times, mainly to the Gold Coast. It’s a bl**dy good quality carrier and my only complaint ever was their seating policy- which on international flights they seem to have solved.
I am actually quite conversant about the economics of the LCC model and. yes, I know that $24 for a round trip to Bali is not going to cover even the pushback fuel costs but what the heck- a pre-Christmas trip to Bali is just what the doctor ordered. Sorry about missing a couple of Moorabbin parties but I’m sure you’ll understand

Phil

SOPS
26th Jul 2006, 15:19
Fare 24 dollars...fees and taxes 798 dollars??? Whats in the "fees"?:confused:

tinpis
26th Jul 2006, 21:32
Of course here in Darwhine we wont be able to go any f:mad: in where.

The Voice
26th Jul 2006, 21:41
we ARE the forgotten Tinny :{

tinpis
26th Jul 2006, 22:08
After all...it was Darwhine-ites that invented the Bali Bush Pig :p

Animalclub
27th Jul 2006, 01:11
When most airlines announce new schedules it is usually well before they obtain the necessary approvals so they add "Subject to Governemnt approval". I used to do it. It used to be the same with air fares - in the "old days".

Buster Hyman
27th Jul 2006, 01:40
Well...when you can advertise fares without taxes, why not flights without approval?:rolleyes:

Ex QF
27th Jul 2006, 03:21
Just wondering:
I have been told by some current staff that if travelling on JetStar and you do not get on. You lose your dollars. Is that correct.
I know management don’t but surely this is against the law in Australia?
Surely the airline just can’t take your money? Certainly you are entitled to a refund?
With the new international flights how are you staff who do decide to fly them (I think I have answered my own question here – no QF staff will travel on them )
But what if some do, can you make your meal choice etc at time of booking? And get a refund when you miss out on a seat?

Bolty McBolt
27th Jul 2006, 04:22
An Email I received recently.
I like the bit about $300 worth of taxs/fee

Jetstar are about to announce their International destinations today at
1100. If you go onto the website right now (www.jetstar.com) there are
great deals to be had.

Eg Sydney to Denpasar 28 Mar 2007 $132 pp
Depansar to Sydney 1 Apr 2007 $12pp - yes $12pp

Be aware that there are about $300 in government taxes that get added to
the fare.

The new destinations are Bali / Phuket / Bangkok and Saigon (from
Australia - sorry for those of you in other parts of the world)

airbusthreetwenty
27th Jul 2006, 05:02
Just wondering:
I have been told by some current staff that if travelling on JetStar and you do not get on. You lose your dollars. Is that correct.
I know management don’t but surely this is against the law in Australia?
Surely the airline just can’t take your money? Certainly you are entitled to a refund?
With the new international flights how are you staff who do decide to fly them (I think I have answered my own question here – no QF staff will travel on them )
But what if some do, can you make your meal choice etc at time of booking? And get a refund when you miss out on a seat?

If you don't get on the flight, your ticket is moved to the next one.

The tickets are non refundable. However, if you do not make checkin for the flight, contact reservations and they will change the flight to a phantom date for later use.

ditzyboy
27th Jul 2006, 05:03
Howard Hughes

"Why don't they just go $169+$25+$7+Taxes =The fare.

I am not normally one for government intervention, but I think it is high time the travelling public were given the actual cost of flying in advertising!

You assume that everyone wants food and a pillow and blanket.

What has a pillow and blanket, food you screw your nose up at or 3 month old movie got to do with the actual cost of flying? You would be surprised how many people do not watch or listen to the IFE, throw the pillows on the floor and eat their own food - even on the longer sectors. These are all extras that do not appeal to everyone. Why should those not wanting them pay for those who do?

Jetstar even recognise that hydration is somewhat a requirement and have afforded customers a bottle each. I am surprised actually.

As for the credit card surcharges there are other means of payment so again it is all down to choice. These fares are dirt cheap! I cannot fathom why people still demand all these non-essential items you just discard or turn your nose up at anyway.

exQF -
Not correct. You only lose your money of you no show.

RENURPP
27th Jul 2006, 05:04
Tinny and The Voice,
we have better than this rabble, we have Tiger, and they are a neat little operation. very pleasant indeed.

Howard Hughes
27th Jul 2006, 07:38
Of course here in Darwhine we wont be able to go any f:mad: in where.
Come on Tinny from Darwin you could row to Bali....;)

Jetstar even recognise that hydration is somewhat a requirement and have afforded customers a bottle each. I am surprised actually.
Ditzyboy, One 600ml bottle of water* is not enough to keep you even remotely hydrated on a four hour sector in a high altitude, low humidity environment. But I guess it is a start.:hmm:

Just to clear things up, I am not against Airlines charging for optional extras, I agree that not all people want these 'luxuries', but it is far more cost effective to supply them to everybody and the 15-20% who don't want them, can throw their pillow on the floor or refuse the food as they do now.

As a former airline caterer I take the business of inflight catering very seriously, you would be surprised at the number of inflight emergencies that can be prevented with correct hydration/nourishment. Dehydration tends to sneak up on people without them knowing! Crews included.:8

Cheers, HH.:ok:

*Thats assuming they go with 600ml bottles of water, I suspect though they will opt for a smaller 300ml catering sized bottle to save on weight.

Aussie
27th Jul 2006, 08:12
Well...when you can advertise fares without taxes, why not flights without approval?:rolleyes:

Good call!

Aussie

vertigo3
27th Jul 2006, 08:39
Hi all,

This is my first post so please be kind

Can anyone explain what the problem is with Jetstar getting approval from the US government?

Cheers

Eastwest Loco
27th Jul 2006, 10:34
Okay - Today Jetstar announced and released network wide the new international schedules/fare structures/product.

Just cannot wait for the 31" seat pitch in economy to Bali. Yay you Jetstar. Really beats congenital defects for prolonged lack of limb mobility that one.

All very well, but in conjunction with the new services, fare structure and Frequent Flyer bonuses of DVT and John Wayne swagger, you can't get onto the bloody website to make a Launceston Melbourne or wherever to wherever booking. I have 3 passengers, their credit card number and required flights and have blown around 5 hours for the sake of $60.00 in commission.

This is the height of arrogance from that refugee Irish twit from an airline all of the clients I have booked on them hated with a passion. Let the buggers wait attitude. I have been trying to make a booking for a lady for 5 hours now as mentioned earlier. Repsonses from website unavailable to being allegedly logged out and then relogged into the public site.

One would have thought that with a major route network expansion that the Wallies would have at least done some due dilligence with the engine that provides the vast majority of their income. Sadly it aint the case.

So here I sit right now, finally onto the queue and so far down I do not even get the wanky hold message - just beeps.

Really Jetstar - are you trying to be a loss making tax dodge? If so it is definitely working.

Best all

EWL

Buster Hyman
27th Jul 2006, 11:39
Can anyone explain what the problem is with Jetstar getting approval from the US government?
Because Homeland Security still have some questions about Magda Szubanski...
Why are they even recruting International crew if they are still waiting on approval to operate these flights?
I wouldn't be suprised if they were on contracts that could be ripped up if their application for OS Ops failed.

Buster Hyman
27th Jul 2006, 12:08
This is the NWO Loco Bloko....get used to it!:(

;)

Eastwest Loco
27th Jul 2006, 12:16
I realise this nasty little reality Buster. If you or I did less than half a job, we would be history.

How do these mongrels get away with being substandard in extremis?

It must be art nouveau.

Best regards

EWL

Angle of Attack
27th Jul 2006, 12:33
It's like anything in this country East West Loco, they do it because they can! Australians just sit back and get slugged with everything, thats the result of being such an apethetic society. Just look at politics lol! Oh well just dont use Jetstar, stuff them :yuk:

Ultralights
27th Jul 2006, 12:34
there getting away with it, because they have removed our options, and the poor huddled masses can now afford to fly, and have never know the better product of business class or services in the past.

the number of people boarding now wearing Ugh boots/thongs/flannos and track suit pants is unbelievable.

i persoanlly will pay the premium for a business seat, but i have no option, its either J*, VB or drive,

form my locations, its a 14 hr drive to my regular destinations, one weekend it took 10 hrs to cover the same distance with J*, in hindsight, i should have driven.

Animalclub
27th Jul 2006, 15:19
Why are they even recruting International crew if they are still waiting on approval to operate these flights?

I know that there's been some bad things said about the QF Group's management ability (I'm being nice now) but I don't think any organisation would go to the expense and trouble of hiring staff, buying equipment and planning for an event which may never happen. Surely with all their contacts in CBR they'd have a good idea of what's going to happen with flight approvals. Yes??? No???

Taildragger67
27th Jul 2006, 15:27
Hi all,

This is my first post so please be kind

Cheers

They want to fly to Honolulu. US territory.

Then again, the Seppos pretty much reckon they run the world these days, so maybe we have to get approval from Washington to start a mail run up to Oodnadatta...

Mud Skipper
27th Jul 2006, 20:59
EWL,

What can you expect from a mob who's boss almost doesn't get on the wagon

Even Jetstar chief executive Alan Joyce had to scramble to reserve seats on the airline's inaugural flight from Melbourne to Bangkok on November 23.
"You don't think of these things until afterwards but on our inaugural flight there were only 32 seats left so I had to get them blocked off before it was too late," he said. The Austraian/Steve Creedy
July 28, 2006

Probably too busy thinking of the gravy train perhaps.

PS; Rumour is they will not have J* A330 crews trained up on time, could be mainline crewing this flight. Perhaps he should stop screaming abuse at us like a 5 year old child or should AIPA 'black ban' mainline members assisting J* strip our P&C.:hmm:

Eagleman
27th Jul 2006, 21:51
Don't get hung up on the approvals. Reality is the CASA AOC and other approvals don't come through untli around 48 hours prior to the first flight.

The real issue is the capability of JQ to operate!

qcc2
27th Jul 2006, 23:13
JUST DID A QUICK CHECK ONLINE. Melbounre -Bangkok march 07
J* iNT. incl. food/blanket/video 3xweek A$ 935.-
QF full service daily A$ 975.-
BA '' daily A$ 974.-
SQ '' daily A$ 1100.-

get the picture on J*
after take-off
crew check stock (headsets/video/splits/booze/meals)
try to locate 150 pax which ordered videos
try to locate 200 pax which ordered blankets
try to locate/cook/serve individually 250 pax which ordered food, the rest brought family sized frozen pizza's for the trip for the crew to heat up (charge A$ 10.-)
crew count bars/headsets/food/blankets etc closing stock.
talk about paperwork.:= :ugh:
does remind us of the good old days when we charged for headsets.etc.
give me a full service airline anyday :D
lets not forget u get points on qf

qcc2
27th Jul 2006, 23:29
you cannot operate on an ba aircraft without the uk caa's approval, regardless what your contract states:ok:

Howard Hughes
28th Jul 2006, 00:47
Anyway my point is, can JQ/QF have QF mainline operate JQ flights if JQ are not ready in time for the Nov 23 launch?
My bet is YES!!;)

It will be interesting what the QF pilot body will do if this occurs.

qcc2
28th Jul 2006, 03:47
leanne7, the 767ace aircraft are under oz registration. it has nothing to do with ownership. in my humble opinion QF mainline can operate J* Int. flights as the planes are australian registered, crew are type rated and experienced, have all the necessary approvals for etops and have all sop in place.:ok:

Z Force
28th Jul 2006, 10:29
From what I hear, the initial pilots will be contractors due to loss of interest from job applicants.

Keg
28th Jul 2006, 11:09
Anyway my point is, can JQ/QF have QF mainline operate JQ flights if JQ are not ready in time for the Nov 23 launch?

I'm not sure on the answer because it's not like J* International has the AOC. What I can tell you is that I've flown a QF coloured aircraft on a damp lease on two occasions. Once with Air New Guinea crew (who were fantastic and the best crew meals I've ever had on an aircraft) and once with Air Caledonie. Whether we could do that with J* on international services though without the AOC being approved is a seperate question entirely.

Taildragger67
28th Jul 2006, 12:40
The seven ugly sisters (Leane - they're the RR-powered ones with the 4 doors each side) are most likely under full lease to Qantas; so effectively, they are as much Qantas aircraft as any others which are not owned by Qantas (eg. from ILFC, AWAS, etc. or some Japanese entity - take a look at the ownership plate on the flight deck wall). Naturally the lease may contain specific terms eg. as to maintenance but it's most likely a full operating lease. Final owner is immaterial and indeed may not even be British Airways.

peuce
29th Jul 2006, 06:54
Just cannot wait for the 31" seat pitch in economy to Bali. Yay you Jetstar. Really beats congenital defects for prolonged lack of limb mobility that one.

You don't have to wait Loco ... QANTAS 747s already provide 31" seat pitch.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qantas_Airways/Qantas_Airways_Boeing_747-400.php

mingalababya
30th Jul 2006, 13:21
Jano Gibson
SMH
July 26, 2006 - 12:10PM
Budget airline Jetstar will charge long-haul passengers extra for blankets and pillows as part of its push into international markets

How much do they charge to use the loo? Or is that still free?

OK 3 wire
31st Jul 2006, 00:13
Toilet free, however toilet paper will cost 5 cents per sheet.

rammel
31st Jul 2006, 01:00
For those QF staff who don't wish to fly J*, there are plenty of airlines who give us ZED fares who fly to the same destinations as QF/J* who don't charge a fuel surcharge on staff tickets and the tickets are fully refundable. Myself and other staff have taken advantage of this as we have decided that QF is not getting our business unless we have not much of a choice. This may not scare GD, but in my area there a quite a few people who would spend at least $1000 on staff travel a year. Remember this is $1000 QF gets for filling up empty seats. You do only get to travel economy, but sometimes you may be upgraded (only happened to me twice).

While management go on about cutting costs, this is one way for me to still travel and cut my costs associated with it.

Mstr Caution
31st Jul 2006, 12:43
Jano Gibson SMH July 26 2006
"From late November Jetstar will fly to six destinations - Bangkok & Phuket in Thailand, Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam, Osaka in Japan, Honolulu in Hawaii & Bali"

For those Jetstar Passengers still looking for Bali on the holiday map, it's in Indonesia.

Saw on the TV tonight, the Jetstar international commercial offering "Choice for the first time at a fraction of the cost"

Stretching the old memory here. But isn't a fraction where the Numerator is above the Denominator & the Numerator may be a number either larger or smaller than the Denominator.

So Jetstar fares at a fraction of the cost may in fact be more (or less) than the competition.:8

Buster Hyman
31st Jul 2006, 13:37
But isn't a fraction where the Numerator is above the Denominator & the Numerator may be a number either larger or smaller than the Denominator.
GET OUT! None of that clever **** on Dunnunda thank you!

swh
31st Jul 2006, 13:54
For those Jetstar Passengers still looking for Bali on the holiday map, it's in Indonesia.

Saw on the TV tonight, the Jetstar international commercial offering "Choice for the first time at a fraction of the cost"

Stretching the old memory here. But isn't a fraction where the Numerator is above the Denominator & the Numerator may be a number either larger or smaller than the Denominator.

So Jetstar fares at a fraction of the cost may in fact be more (or less) than the competition.:8

I do not know exact numbers, however for an example QF/SQ etc may lodge with IATA a fare of AUD$3000 for say a Y class SYD-SIN, however you may pick them up discounted on the internet for less than AUD$1000.

I am sure JQ will not make a comparison with the actual internet fare plus tax, rather the IATA fare, which is significantly more.

QF has been playing games for a long time with ticket prices, people think they are on a good deal only to get hit with a hidden “taxes” which on initial research would have directed customers away from other carriers, when it comes to the crunch, the total cost of purchase may well be more expensive.

Customers only need to be stung one or twice, then they will discover why so many people have taken their frequent flyer points to the likes of EK & SQ.

Mstr Caution
31st Jul 2006, 14:08
B.Hyman - Couldn't help it!!

Couldn't agree more when it comes to hype associated with supposedly cheap airfares.

Take for example the frenzy for punters to buy cheap tickets to Bali.

In the rush to buy tickets online I assume they also checked out the updated travel advisory on Bali. Advising the Very High Threat to security in Bali due to recent escalations in violence in Lebanon & Isreal.
:8

www.smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/advice/indonesia (http://www.smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/advice/indonesia)